2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 4:03 AM by Necromanthus

different bonesplayer animations on different models of the same bones rig

GlennoUK
      Hi,

Im just wondering if theres any tricks to enable different motions to be applied to different models, and have them blend together. ie. have the 'scratch nose' animation be applied to the upper torso and head models, whilst applying the 'walking' animation to the 'legs' models, and for it to also work whilst the 'sitting' animation is applied to the legs models?

Unfortunately, my models are all attached to a full body biped bones rig, and so the bonesplayer animations are also for this entire bones rig. So, I'm just assuming that applying a different bones animation to the upper torso models from the lower torso models, will simply result in the upper body and lower body being separated in the middle, as the two halves try to do different things.

But I was wondering if theres any neat workarounds. Or do I have to get my animator, to make a 'walking whilst scratching nose' animation, and a 'sitting whilst scratching nose' animation? Or have a lot more forward-thinking than we had, and ensure the middrift is always at a neutral position, so the upper and lower body could be doing different things. (Even though this would probably have looked really bad, it would possibly be a solution).

Thanks in advance,
      Glen
        • 1. different bonesplayer animations on different models of the same bones rig
          tyree_2 Level 2
          you can export animation only, export as you normally would but uncheck everything except animation. you can also control the animation based on the time in director. if your animation has a time of 6600, you can tell it to start playing at any time within the 6600. applying different motions to a character is something that needs to be updated in director, while you can do it in director. its an easier process in other programs but you should be able to use 3dpi to put added motions on your characters with relative ease. there is an old book called director 8.5 shockwave studio from the source that covers what your looking to do
          • 2. Re: different bonesplayer animations on different models of the same bones rig
            Necromanthus Level 2
            quote:

Originally posted by: GlennoUK
            Im just wondering if theres any tricks to enable different motions to be applied to different models, and have them blend together. ie. have the 'scratch nose' animation be applied to the upper torso and head models, whilst applying the 'walking' animation to the 'legs' models, and for it to also work whilst the 'sitting' animation is applied to the legs models?

Unfortunately, my models are all attached to a full body biped bones rig, and so the bonesplayer animations are also for this entire bones rig. So, I'm just assuming that applying a different bones animation to the upper torso models from the lower torso models, will simply result in the upper body and lower body being separated in the middle, as the two halves try to do different things.

Hi Glen,
            You cannot apply multiple animations on the same model at the same time.
            The workaround is to divide your character (inside of the 3D modeler) into several parts (different models) and to create an animation sequence for each part.
            Later, using LINGO inside of Director, you can group them again and you can set up & launch the desired animation for each part (group.child).
            In this way you can mix without any problem, bonesPlayer animations with keyframePlayer animations for the same character (group of models).

cheers