1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 2:05 PM by BobLevine

Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

MrsC60

I bought PageMaker many many years ago (about 1998 I think), and at the time it was a substantial investment.

I've upgraded regularly since, and now have InDesign CS3 purchased in June 2007 (Adobe Store Australia Recept No. AD000385242U dated 27/6/07).  Okay, it's not the most current version. I might consider upgrading again if I could be confident I could use an upgrade.  What I have is useless thanks to Adobe's unconscionable behaviour and putting their IP rights ahead of their customer's right to use what they paid for.

I bought a new computer recently. I can't install InDesign because it's an upgrade, and to install an upgrade, I first have to install and register the original product.  Since the original product was an early version of PageMaker, that means installing very old software (not compatible with my current op system!) and then installing and sequentially registering every upgrade to the current one - IF I had every disk set (the first purchase was on 3.5 floppies, which my machine won't even accept), CD, and serial no. 

I have tried over and over to contact Adobe. No response. 

I am taking this to Fair Trading, but pending some satisfaction, the only answer I can think of is pirating!  It may not be legal, but it's perfectly ethical and morally right.  Adobe, on the other hand, is not playing fair. For the first time in over 20 years of software use, my sympathy lies with the pirates!

• 1. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You don’t need to install the earlier product…you only need the serial number from the qualifying product.

Bob

• 2. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
            MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks, but I tried that Bob. The program won't accept the number. Lucky those who got to talk to Adobe support, even though they got no help. I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply!

• 3. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
              MrsC60 Level 1

Problem solved, apparently. Adobe now tell me CS3 doesn't run on Windows 7. Pity they aren't a little more forthcoming with information, because I wouldn't have upgraded to Windows 7 if I'd known it would prevent me running my version of InDesign. I finally got a response by inquiring about buying an upgrade. Doesn't say much for the company's ethics when it takes posing as a buyer to get a response to a simple question.

• 4. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oh look at this... I typed into Google "install cs3 windows 7"

First hit in Google... http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/508/cpsid_50853.html

Perhaps that helps

• 5. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

MrsC60,

I don't know which version of Windows 7 you have, but I run Win7 Pro on two machines currently. BOTH Pagemaker 7 and Creative Suite Premium 3 are installed on the machine I'm using right now. I's been a couple of months since I built this machine, and I don't remember exactly what was necessary to install CS3 (which is an upgrade version), but I believe all I had to do was either enter the serial number manually or put the media from the previous product in the drive. I do think I remember, though, that back when CS3 was current some users reported problems installing upgrades if they had only DVD drives on their computers as some of them did not properly recognize the media. I don't recall the solution, off-hand, but a search here would probably turn it up.

• 6. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

CS3 runs just fine on Windows 7!

Bob

• 7. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                      MrsC60 Level 1

Oh really! So why did Adobe staff tell me it didn't?  Perhaps to try to con me into spending almost $1200 for an ''Upgrade" product that I later found as a full version (not upgrade) for $900!  And the software I did buy still doesn't run on ANY version of Windows. (I found a machine with XP on it and tried loading it there with the same results - a message telling me the registration number was invalid. Tried both the current product no. and the number of the product I was upgrading from. Neither worked.

Frankly, I'm at the point where I think Consumer Protection Agencies need to step in. I'm seeing post after post after post from users complaining about registration problems. I'm also seeing posts from people accused of piracy after having bought legitimately, at market prices, from retailers who appear to be legitimate and it would be fair to say most people would trust - with good reason. 

Thanks for trying to assist, Bob, but I think it's time to acknowledge that Adobe's conduct is unfair and unconscionable. When people pay for a product, they expect to be able to use it.  It's a fair expectation. Adobe are breaching consumer law by not ensuring that their product is usable, and I believe telling untruths in an offer of sale of goods is known as 'misrepresentation', isn't it?  Shame on you Adobe!  The public has a right to expect better of  a large global corporation.

• 8. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                        MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Peter. I appreciate your efforts to help, but really, having paid Adobe nearly $10,000 over the years, I think I've a right to expect better than untruths and fob offs - and to be especially disgusted by untruths told in an effort to get me to spend another almost $1200 on a product that retails in software stores for $900. Frankly, I don't think Adobe deserves the protection of law.  It's their customers who need legal protection, and it's past time governments paid attention to the unfair dealings of these powerful global corporations who don't respect their client's rights.

Yeah, maybe I'll find some cryptic instructions somewhere that might get my software working. I shouldn't have to look. And I shouldn't be lied to by Adobe staff to try to force me into buying an upgrade that yours and Bob's helpful replies suggest I never needed in the first place.

• 9. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                          MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Eugene. I appreciate everyone's efforts to help, but it's apparently not Windows 7 that's the problem (though Adobe staff said CS3 doesn't run on Windows 7 - but that was misrepresentation to induce me to buy an expensive upgrade). The problem is that the product won't recognise the registration key on ANY machine.  It did when installed on my old system, straight after I downloaded the upgrade and when I was installing it over the old registered version. But it won't accept the correct registration key under any circumstances on another machine - either Win 7 or XP - and it's not because I've exceeded the legal usage rights.  I removed it from the old machine and that was the only one it had ever been on previously.

• 10. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

We see a LOT of misinformation that comes from the customer service phone reps, but I'd like to believe this is due to outsourcing to people who really know nothing about the product (and might say anything not to seem stupid or clueless when faced with a problem that isn't covered in their scripts) rather than some deliberate attempt to extract money from customers. I can't speak for Adobe management, but I know that everyone I've ever had contact with who works for Adobe other than contract phone support people seems to come from a culture where the users (customers) are the most important part of the business and that at least trying to give them what they want is a top priority (but I mostly have contact with engineers through bug reporting and feature requests). I'll hold up Dav Isaacs, who is a frequent contributor in this forum and whose job title is senior scientist for PDF or some such, as a prime example. He'll often go out of his way (and way outside his job description) to help a user who has had a bad experience on the phone.

I definitely understand your anger, but if you can step back for a bit I think we might be able to get things working for you.

• 11. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

About all I can acknowledge is that Adobe's support is not at all up to the level that should be. But that's really not all that different than just about any other company out there.

A couple of more points. Your responses are all going to the web forum so you don't need to reply to each individually and if you can give us more details, we might just be able help you.

Bob

• 12. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                peter minneapolis Level 4

MrsC60 wrote:

Thanks Eugene. I appreciate everyone's efforts to help, but it's apparently not Windows 7 that's the problem (though Adobe staff said CS3 doesn't run on Windows 7 - but that was misrepresentation to induce me to buy an expensive upgrade). The problem is that the product won't recognise the registration key on ANY machine.  It did when installed on my old system, straight after I downloaded the upgrade and when I was installing it over the old registered version. But it won't accept the correct registration key under any circumstances on another machine - either Win 7 or XP - and it's not because I've exceeded the legal usage rights.  I removed it from the old machine and that was the only one it had ever been on previously.

If the product that you want to use as the basis for an upgrade was registered at Adobe, you'll have a good chance to get a good license for installing your upgrade. Adobe does provide free tech support for installation problems, so if you've only been dealing with customer support, try calling technical support.

Whenever you feel you're not getting good information, ask or demand to have your case escalated to that person's highest-level manager available, and if that person can't "get it," ask or demand the same escalation to their highest-level manager. As with shampoo, rinse and repeat until you get satisfactory results.

One service that's common is to get an additional activation over and above the two activations that come with the product. It requires a believeable story, such as needing to install on a new hard drive because a hard drive  failed with an activated installation on it, hence it couldn't be deactivated. A registered product is a good story, as it can be easily verified. I'm not certain if requests like this are handled by tech support or customer support, but it's one or the other, so press your request.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 13. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                  dustintea Level 1

It seems like I ended up in a similar situation with Photoshop a couple years back. When it asks for the product code you're upgrading from have you tried serial numbers from each product in the upgrade line? If I remembver correctly for some reason the product it "thought" was the one it upgraded from was not the the first or last upgrade, but one in the middle for some reason. Might be worth a try.

• 14. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                    MrsC60 Level 1

Thank you all so much to all for your efforts to help.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Firstly, to Dustintea, unfortunately I don't have the serial numbers for old upgrades. I was fortunate to find the latest ones (and I've tried all of those). We were affected by major floods earlier this year and lost several boxes of files and my older computer backups, among other things. 

As to speaking with Adobe tech support... it would be really nice if I could. Fourteen calls and several requests over the web have met with messages that they would call back but it might take up to 48 hours due to high demand, and I NEVER HEAR BACK.  I simply cannot get anyone to acknowledge I exist. 

The (apparently wrong) information that CS3 won't run on Windows 7 came via a Chat session when I went to the eStore to look for upgrade prices. That's the ONLY response I've ever had from Adobe - and I have to say I've tried on several previous occasions (years back) with the same result. It might be because I'm in Australia? Hopefully US customers are treated with more courtesy!

BTW:  I even tried sending a piracy report to try to get their attention, telling them I might have to try pirating if they didn't provide assistance. No reply!

However ignorant or stupid an employee might be, Adobe is liable at law for every word they utter. They should recruit more responsibly and train and manage better. There is no excuse for poor service, and misrepresentation in selling is illegal.  Adobe charge extortionate prices for their products. The service should be commensurate with the price - at EVERY level.  Instead, they line their pockets at their customers' expense, and apparently have no concern that their arrogance might be destroying the livelihood of legitimate buyers.

As to stepping back, yes, I agree, anger is futile. But I estimate I've lost $18,000 in income because I can't get this very expensive software working and Adobe won't help - and that's come after losses in a major flood and a death in the family that left my 4 very young grandchildren without a mother and had quite a devastating impact on me.

Frankly, I can't afford the luxury of being tolerant of a company that I feel has defrauded me.

That said, I've got it off my chest now - thanks for the opportunity! But I do hope my posts are widely noted by prospective buyers of Adobe products. If there is an alternative out there, they should avoid Adobe at all costs.  All software companies are NOT the same. I've had excellent service from the smaller, less well resourced suppliers.

I can now focus on constructive steps to try to find a resolution, if there is one to be found, but I fear the only solution may be to find an alternate product from a supplier who respects clients' rights and merchant law.  Alternatives may be inferior in terms of features, but hopefully they are at least usable!

• 15. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

Sorry to hear of your personal difficulties. Best wishes on getting through them.

Your situation with Adobe and your InDesign licensing problems only intensifies the personal issues.

If keeping up with customers is such an expensive revenue-losing issue, you might want to download a trial copy of InDesign CS5.5 which would give you 30 days in which to see if it's worth buying, or to use while you're looking for an alternative product.

There are some postings on this forum about how and where to download non-current versions of the Creative Suite products, and other postings about how to and where to buy a license for a non-current product, if that's an option you'd consider.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 16. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                        MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Peter. I have considered that approach, but when the trial ends all the work I've done is gone unless I buy the product, because it's in Adobe's CS5 file format. If I buy the product, I have to pay full price, not upgrade, or I'm back where I am now, unable to register. Of course Adobe promise support, but I've seen their support!!!!  Non-existent! Seems it's a case of ''we've ripped you off, now we'll box you into a corner so we can rip you off again.... and again...and again!"

• 17. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

If you registered the software when you purchased it, serial numbers should not be too big an issue. Your account at the Adobe store online should list them all.

• 18. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                            MrsC60 Level 1

Really? I wonder where I need to go to find that information?  I bought from software stores in Brisbane and mostly (except probably the latest two purchases - for which I do have numbers) registered by mailing in printed registration cards. I didn't have any kind of account with Adobe that I could log into until I registered to try to get support. Emails, addresses and phone numbers have changed over the years (I didn't even have an email address at the time most purchases were made!), so how would that information be stored?

• 19. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

Hmmm,

I'm not quite sure. If you never registered online, then that might actually be a stumbling block (this just isn't your week). I don't know how you would find your customer number to access the account. I seem to have accounts under at least two, and probably three email addresses. Typically your email is used as your account name, and you then need a passwaord to log in, but as I recall there is a "forgot password" link that should allow you to reset, but the response will be to that email address, so it needs to still be valid. I hesitate to say this, but you may have to call customer service again to try to track that information down.

• 20. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Peter. I did try typing in as many old email addresses as I could recall, even though several of them don't exist any more, into the Forgot Password field. The system responded in every case that the address was not on record. I couldn't have obtained the password anyway since the addresses were dead, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to try almost anything to get Adobe's attention. Still waiting for a customer service call back!  I have a feeling I'll be waiting until Doomsday! 

• 21. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

In your shoes I'd stop waiting and call them again, get a name and employee number (so they know you can report them) and ask for help either getting the program installed or for finding your previous serial numbers so we can help, then ask for the supervisor if you don't get good answers immediately. DO NOT let them tell you they will call back. As soon as they suggest that, insist on speaking to the person at the next higher level.

• 22. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

MrsC60 wrote:

Thanks Peter. I did try typing in as many old email addresses as I could recall, even though several of them don't exist any more, into the Forgot Password field. The system responded in every case that the address was not on record. I couldn't have obtained the password anyway since the addresses were dead, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to try almost anything to get Adobe's attention. Still waiting for a customer service call back!  I have a feeling I'll be waiting until Doomsday!

I guess I didn't finish my thought about obtaining a trial. Because you mentioned losing revenue while you're stymied, I thought if you could produce with the trial, you'd earn enough to pay for the new full version. Or, maybe I misunderstood you.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 23. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                      MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Peter. I see now what you were thinking, but no, my projects are longer term. I've had to turn down jobs because I can't meet deadlines. With a trial, I could start projects, but might not be able to finish which would be worse than not starting. On the other hand, I guess I could take the view that the jobs will pay for the product down the track and just buy a new full version - let Adobe steal few thousand dollars from me as thanks for my loyalty to them and investment in their products for almost 2 decades. It's fraud, and if you or I committed fraud we'd be condemned and punished, but it seems if you are a large enough corporation, you can make your own law.

• 24. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

If you invoice clients progressively, and they pay pretty promptly, you might be able to start with the trial, and buy the full one with the first check you get.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 25. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

It's been a little over a month since I set up my laptop, but I only installed CS3 and later on it, and my CS3 is anupgrade from CS2, upgraded from CS and so forth right back to version 1. My memory is that I had no trouble installing by giving just the serial number for the CS2 upgrade -- it clearly wasn't installed, but perhaps I inserted the disk --  but I didn't need to go all the way back through the chain, so I think there's a VERY good chance that you would be able to install a CS3 to CS5.5 upgrade purchased at discount price without needing the Pagemaker info. That's the best deal you would get for an upgrade, in any case, and if you plan on upgrading, this is a REALLY good time.

Adobe announced the new cloud services this week, along with a new upgrade policy starting with the CS6 releases when issued, which will be that you will no longer get dicount upgrade pricing from anything but the previous version, and to encourage users to upgrade now they are offering a 20% discount. There's a thread here about this, but it might be easier to find links by reading the announcements at the top of the the main ID forum page. I suspect you would need to purchase direct from Adobe, but that may also be a good thing as you would have 30 days to return the software if you were unable to get it installed, and you actually MIGHT get some help from tech support for a CS5.5 install problem since that's policy for current versions.

CS5.5 will take a little getting used to with some interface changes, but I find the new features pretty compelling for my own work (and I DON'T do epub) in terrms of time saved over doing the same job in CS3 (and I still have a client for whom I must work in CS3) and would say I recovered the cost of an upgrade quite quickly in increased productivity. If you have an interest in ePub, you really need to be working with CS5.5 today.

• 26. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                            MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Peter, but I can't get ANYTHING Adobe to install on my computer other than a trial. Every registration method I have tried fails. And the same thing happens on an older computer with Windows XP on it. The system just keeps telling me the numbers are invalid. And forum postings indicate this is a common issue!

Frankly, I'm not even sure - given Adobe's arrogance - that I'd trust them to let me register and use a brand new copy of their software.  I think it's time to call it quits and find a competing product.  Adobe make good software, but they can't be trusted to facilitate use by genuine buyers and they offer no support - even when the problem is a flaw in their product.  No wonder some people pirate it!!! 

Their new policy sounds like a great way to alienate more users. It seems Adobe seeks to limit access to their products to those who can afford very high price tags and annual upgrades. Hopefully, that's good news for their competitors and will boost the competition in the graphics/desktop publishing fields. 

• 27. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

Not sure this is going to get through as the forum seems to be down for maintenance...

At this point I'm sort of lost as to what you have and don't have.

I THINK I remember that you have a set of disks for InDesign CS3 (not the suite), and that it was an upgrade from Pagemaker, for which you have neither disks nor a record of the serial number. Is that right? Do you have the serial number for your CS3?

The CS3 installers were the worst in Adobe history and will balk at the slightest provocation, which doesn't help here, but if you are getting as far as being asked for a serial number or proof of eligibility that's a good sign that at least the disk is being read. I seem to recall that a lot of users had trouble with installing from the DVD drives that started shipping with new computers at that time, but that could also have been CS2. My brain is turning to mush on some of the older details.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that you would have trouble installing CS3 if you don't have the media or the serial number for the qualifying product for the upgrade. IF it's a disk-reading problem, copying the CD to the desktop (or some more convenient location on your hard drive) often works. It's also important on Windows 7 64-bit (if that's what you have) that you install in the Program Files (x86) folder, not the plain Program Files folder, but I think that will probably happen automatically.

What I was saying in my last post was that if you actually do have the disk or serial number from the CS3 version, you most likely will be successful at installing CS5, even though you can't get CS3 on the machine (wish I was nearby to try to help you in front of the machine with that), if that would be acceptable. Personally, I wouldn't go back to Quark for anything at this point (and it isn't clear that there is going to be a Quark to go back to for very long), so I'm not sure what "other" options you have in mind for competing titles. The only word of caution I would give in the upgrade to CS5.5 scenario is once you convert your files to the new version, there's very little chance to go backward, especially for you. ID files are not directly backward compatible -- only CS5.5 is able to open CS5.5 files, so opening in any other version requires export to the new .idml format, which can be read by CS4, CS5 and CS5.5, but not CS3 or earlier, so you need CS4 to export a .inx file that can be read in CS3, and by the time you've gone through that many conversions the file will probably be a mess. I would also suggest, if upgrading, that any older files you open in CS5.5 should be immediately exported to .idml, then that opened and saved as a new file (don't overwrite the old version) for editing. There have been a few reports of delayed trouble with legacy files and the export is somewhat helpful as insurance.

• 28. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Peter. You are a very generous soul!  I'd love to be able to have you sit beside me and sort this out.

What I have is a very old PageMaker CD (V7) and the original download files for CS3 which was purchased as a download version from Adobe Store Australia, plus the printed receipt for CS3 with the serial numbers for both it and the product I upgraded from handwritten on it.  Having located that receipt (after many hours of searching!) I'm about to try logging in to the Adobe Portal again as it displays the email address used to register, but the address no longer exists and I don't know the password so that may be a problem.  It is interesting that I have records of owning earlier versions of InDesign, but I upgraded from PageMaker 7 and not from those earlier versions because, according to my diary notes, I had similar issues years ago and that was the only way around them. I did recall having issues with their support some time back, but it took an extensive search to locate the details.

• 29. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

So, at this point, have you tried using the serila number for CS3 written onthat piece of paper, and then offered the serial number you wrote down for Pagemaker or inserted the Pagemaker disk when asked for the quaifying upgrade product? IT sounds like you have everything you need.

Please see if there are any trace of the previous attempts that can be removed using add/remove progams in Windows, then go to Resolve installation problems with CS5 Cleaner Tool  and get the tool and run it. Reboot.

Run MSconfig and turn off all non-essential startup programs, especially anti-viru and anti-spyware scanners, instant messengers, and browser helpers and toolbars (remember what I said about this installer being fussy?). Re-boot and try the CS3 installer again, then run MSconfig a second time to restore normal startup.

Good luck.

• 30. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                    MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks Peter. Still no joy, and I've given up. I'll use Gimp for graphics and I'm testing several DTP applications. Not as good as InDesign, but at least they install and are usable!

I got through to a chat room assistant again today and got a completely different upgrade price than quoted 2 days ago. Almost $300 less, in response to the same question and upgrade data!!  Seems their sales assistants are as incompetent as their management is apparently arrogant.  Just as well I didn't buy from that first assistant!  I've been ripped off quite enough without paying nearly $300 over the correct price!

The sales assistant transferred me to Customer Service when I mentioned my problem, but all I got from them - after extensive discussion and checking my registration numbers (which apparently are quite valid and show in Adobe's records as mine!) was "Sorry, can't help. Click here for a phone number to call tech support."  Useless of course!  I've been down that road extensively. Recorded messages promise a call back, but it never happens.

Adobe buyers BEWARE!  I've been ripped off badly, and I suspect from other forum postings I'm far from alone. Their software should be avoided at all costs if you can find any way to get by without it. And I plan to spread that message as widely as I'm able.  There is simply no excuse for anti-piracy measures so badly implemented that they cripple legitimate buyers, and there is no excuse for failure to resolve issues resulting from product flaws. They charge enough, and their profits are strong. They can afford to deliver what customers pay for and they should be legally compelled to do so.

• 31. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

I think we're well past the point where frustrated people are generally referred to adbecare@adobe.com [sic], which has [allegedly] a good track record at resolving such issues.

• 32. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

Hi, John:

If you're saying that adbecare@adobe.com isn't reliable, despite some stories of good results, then one final option is to write to the highest-level Apple persion - IOW, CEO - with a brief statement of the core problem, employee IDs and case numbers where available, and say something like:

You probably are so far above this level that you shouldn't be bothered by this letter, but here's what people at the customer level are doing to customers. I'm sure you don't see <insert company name> as delivering this kind of poor service. Please intervene for me and others who've been in the same situation and have not only abandoned <insert company name>, but have spread their poor experiences on social media, including <insert company name>'s own user forums. Even if your intervention is simply to move this request DOWN to the highest-level person under whom the disservice occurs, it will most likely lead to a good resolution that I've not been able to obtain by ESCALATING my request UP the chain of responsibility.

We both know that <insert company name> is better than this, but in this case, it can't fix the problem because it's not known at a high-enough level.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Sometimes you have to go around an obstruction to get where you want to go. It's certainly worth a try. It's worked for me in at least one case with my health-insurance plan, where my complaint about an unfair denial of paying a claim failed in the direct route, but succeeded by being kicked down to the proper management level. Not only did they honor my claim, they changed the policy which eliminated the problem in the future, and apologized that the refund check had to go through the usual route, so it would take two weeks.

The manager at this level also asked me to contact him with any other good ideas I had. So, I pointed out that their 2" x 3" laminated membership cards were delivered on 8.5" x 11" laminated sheets, IOW, wasting natural resources, and BTW, costing far more than necessary, which got the attention. The reply after some research was that "our vendor says they can't do that," and I responded, "lots of other vendors would love the contract." Some months later the manager said they'd rebid the job as the contract ended, and got a big savings, so "let's do lunch. On us! Maybe we'll brainstorm some other good stuff." Yum.

IMO, it's worth a try.

Regards,

Peter

_______________________

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 33. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

If you're saying that adbecare@adobe.com isn't reliable, despite some stories of good results, then one final option is to write to the highest-level Apple persion

No, that wasn't my claim at all! I merely wrote [allegedly] because I have no personal experience to draw upon, merely the reports of others, and in my day job [err] we write "allegedly" in those cases automatically. I think it's definitely the right step for MrsC60.

As for writing to the highest-level Apple person, aside from the Steve Jobs jokes (too soon!?), you probably mean writing to the highest-level Adobe person... I'd probably shoot for the relevant SVP or VP instead of the CEO, but your milage may vary.

So, to be clear, MrsC60, I think you should write to that address before faxing a note to Shantanu.

• 34. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

Thanks for the clarification, John.

Ooops, isn't Adobe Apple? Thanks for the correction.

____

p...    

• 35. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                              MrsC60 Level 1

Thanks for this suggestion. I had considered it, and it's certainly worth a try. I took this approach several years ago when a major global corporation made a billing error that caused my company a lot of grief, and I couldn't get anyone to address the problem correctly. The results were quite astonishing. The MD flew from Sydney to Brisbane to meet with me personally and apologise and ensure the problem was properly resolved.

I actually hadn't ever heard of adbecare@adobe.com and am completely ignorant of its function, but it's also worth a try - probably before I approach a busy executive who shouldn't have to deal with customer complaints. But then again, I've heard it said that complaints are solid gold as they give a business operator both the opportunity to win back loyalty and the information to improve the operation generally. I guess the story of the health care claim proves that point. At least I will verify, once and for all, whether Adobe's failings are due to employees not performing or to corporate culture. If the former, I might be doing Adobe management and shareholders a service! I'll post the result on this forum.

• 36. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                                DED_fmk

Any chance you wrote the wrong number down?

• 37. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?

MrsC60 wrote:

Thanks for this suggestion. I had considered it, and it's certainly worth a try. I took this approach several years ago when a major global corporation made a billing error that caused my company a lot of grief, and I couldn't get anyone to address the problem correctly. The results were quite astonishing. The MD flew from Sydney to Brisbane to meet with me personally and apologise and ensure the problem was properly resolved.

This sounds like the legendary IBM service in the middle part of the last century,

where they'd fly teams of engineers to fix a customer problem at the farthest corners of the Earth.

Of course, then IBM computers were six- or seven-figure sales.

I think also Land Rover and Jaguar did stuff like this.

I actually hadn't ever heard of adbecare@adobe.com and am completely ignorant of its function, but it's also worth a try - probably before I approach a busy executive who shouldn't have to deal with customer complaints. But then again, I've heard it said that complaints are solid gold as they give a business operator both the opportunity to win back loyalty and the information to improve the operation generally. I guess the story of the health care claim proves that point. At least I will verify, once and for all, whether Adobe's failings are due to employees not performing or to corporate culture. If the former, I might be doing Adobe management and shareholders a service! I'll post the result on this forum.

Me, too, about adbecare. Please post what you learn. We're all hoping for ways to be heard.

Regards,

Peter

_______________________

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

• 38. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                                    MrsC60 Level 1

Nope!  When I finally got through to Adobe Customer Service, they checked it. When they discovered it was valid, they told me to call Tech Support. Wish someone there would answer!

• 39. Re: Anyone know how to get Adobe to pay attention? Or am I compelled to be a pirate?
                                                                                      MrsC60 Level 1

Update!  adbecare does actually respond!  I emailed that address and the following day I got a call.  The caller asked a lot of questions, and actually helped me get further than I ever have before.  The software accepted the serial numbers and moved to the Activation stage. The assistant said he rectified the records at Adobe's end so it would activate. No error message, but every time I tried to Activate the progress bar ran across the screen continually and never progressed. I have had to end the task several times now, and finally the assistant gave up and said he would get a technician to call me.  I wait and hope!  Sad that it took such drastic measures to get what I asked for in that first phone call - to speak to a technician!  But then, he hasn't called yet.  I may still not have passed that first absurd obstacle - and I STILL CAN'T USE THE SOFTWARE I PAID FOR IN GOOD FAITH. 

NOT GOOD ENOUGH, ADOBE!

1 2 Previous Next