4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 2:22 AM by Peter Spier

Text Cursor Disappearing

james_dean1986 Level 1

Im have a minor issue which is starting to irritate me now.

When working in a text box, I hit the return key to start a new paragraph and the text cursor will disappear and the text overflow icon appears. I have to press backspace and then hit return again and it goes back to normal.

Its worth pointing out this does not happen all the time, but im not noticing any pattern thats causing it either.

There doesnt appear to be nothing out of place in the Keep Options within paragraph styles.

Im currently using CS5.5.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Text Cursor Disappearing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Operating system, please....

You say "return" which implies Mac, but that may not be, and it further implies the key on the alphabetic keyboard, but it sounds like you are hitting the Enter key on the numberpad, and that, by default, is the shorcut for column break and will produce precisely the behavior you see. The only thing odd about your description is that it works OK the socond time, but I'm guessing you're switching to the key on the alpha pad when you do this (perhaps unconsciously).

• 2. Re: Text Cursor Disappearing
            james_dean1986 Level 1

Hi Peter

Im working from a PC, Windows 7.

Ive always called it the return key regardless of Mac or PC, and the one on the numeric pad the Enter button as labeled. But I know what your saying in terms of the 2 buttons having different fuctions. I know they have different fuctions so I would not imagine I do that, but as you say perhaps unconsciously I have been. I will keep an eye on that over the next few days.

Thanks for your response

• 3. Re: Text Cursor Disappearing
              james_dean1986 Level 1

Oh Im a dumb ***!

I had moved my mouse and keyboard arrangement. My mouse sits right by the Enter key now and I was hitting that without thinking as the Return key.

Cant believe I had not noticed my self doing that.

Thanks again

• 4. Re: Text Cursor Disappearing
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, that's a new one.

But you probably don't want to be pressing the enter key on the numpad, either.