9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 10:50 AM by Dishe

Basic PC Spec for premiere

petehandford Level 1

Hello all,

I am looking to view and edit some RED camera footage in CS5 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent PC spec that will be able to handle the footage ok?  I don't want to do it raw, just transcode the files and work that way.

Budget is a major issue, but have spotted this and thought it might do the trick for a basic edit:

Processor (CPU): INTEL SANDYBRIDGE Core I5 2500K SKT1155
      Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX With Z68 Chipset (NEW B3 VERSION)
      2xPCI-E (16x), 2xPCI(1x) & 3xPCI & 32GB RAM Support
      Memory: CORSAIR 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz i5 Memory Kit
      Hard Drive: 1TB SATA2 - 3Gbp/s, 7200 RPM
      Optical Drive: SAMSUNG BLU-RAY COMBO Drive, Blu-Ray Reader & DVDRW In One
      Graphics Card: Integrated HD 3000 Graphics @ 850mhz (1100MHz Turbo)
      Comes With VGA, DVI & HDMI Outputs As Standard

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

thanks

pete

• 1. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
          petehandford Level 1

P.S. Further reading has revealed that I might be rather ambitious with this and am likely to need a 8 core system with a meaty graphics card.  Nevertheless if anyone can recommend a system or spec that works for them it would be really appreciated

pete

• 2. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some ideas for a Desktop Video Editing PC
            http://www.adkvideoediting.com/
            -and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/877201?tstart=0

You need an i7 CPU and AT LEAST 2 hard drives

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
            1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
            2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files
            When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,
            so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files
            3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)
            (*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files
            Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
            http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 3. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
              Harm Millaard Level 7

At least i7-2700K, 16 GB memory, but preferably 32 GB with RED footage, at least 4 or more hard disks configured in raid0 or better, next to a decent boot disk, at least a nVidia GTX 560+ video card, and the basic PC is possibly there, provided a good gold label 850W PSU and Noctua/CoolerMaster or Prolimatech cooler and some overclocking. Remember to turm off the integrated graphics in the BIOS.

• 4. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

to add to the above

it depends on your workflow.

1 layer 2? 4?

1/4 picture preview, 1/2 full?

1-2 layers and 1/4 preview is fine with 2 sets raid 0 and 2600/2700 and 560/570 card 16gig ram

4 layers+ and full picture really needs dual Xeon (2.93 or better) 12 core and 8 drive raid array 24 -48 gig ram

Scott

ADK

• 5. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
                  Jim_Simon Level 9
                  Budget is a major issue

For a project using RED media?  That's a bit incongruous.

• 6. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
                    RjL190365 Level 4

That PC is way underspecced for RED. For that resolution, plus the fact that such footage is extremely highly compressed and extremely high resolution to begin with, you really need a dual-Xeon 12-core/24-thread workstation with 24GB or more RAM, a discrete Quadro or a very high end GeForce GPU discrete hardware RAID controller and a four-drive or larger RAID 5. The above configuration listed in your original post is woefully inadequate even for standard-definition MPEG-2 DVD because it has only one hard drive total (editing requires three or more hard drives to function properly) and because that build lacks a discrete GPU (it has only integrated graphics).

One more thing about that proposed build: It isn't the CPU that's entirely to blame; it's the poorly balanced configuration that is to put most of the blame on. That system needs a minimum of three hard drives, a GeForce GTX 560 GPU and (if working with simple AVCHD) 16GB of RAM.

So in other words, for RED you have no choice but to spend a minimum of $6,000 USD on a PC for you to even work with such hi-rez, highly compressed media at all.

By the way, why did you buy a RED camera if you're going to be left with less than $1,000 to buy or build a PC to edit with?

• 7. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
                      tala karan Level 1

thank you for advise

• 8. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
                        Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you realize that this is a seven year old thread and some of the advice no linger applies?

• 9. Re: Basic PC Spec for premiere
                          Dishe Level 1

And holy cow, Peru's reply pushed it higher up on the recent thread list, I ended up clicking and reading it twice (thinking its a new thread again - LOL).
                          Whoops. Now I'm doing that for someone else. There should be a warning about posting on old threads like some other forums I've seen.