20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 9:36 AM by kyuuketsuki

Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)

sn0wctrl Level 1

Hi There

I've been given a media drive full of past projects and media by a client, which contains (among other things) .mov files which Quicktime Player Movie Inspector tells me are XDCam EX720p50 35Mb/s VBR 1280x720, 16 bit integer (little-endian), Stereo 48Khz.  The sound plays fine, but the video shows only a red screen with occasional digital-dropout-like square flicking across the screen.

This PC system is newly installed and running OK, and footage of the same type (given the same credentials by Quicktime Player) from a different client plays fine in Premiere

(Quicktime player will open both sets of files and give you the info, but sends you to the extra-codec page)

So my conclusion is there's a problem with the set of files that won't play (rather than the system)

And my question is....

WHAT CAN I DO?  Can anyone give me some advice on how I might get these files working?  They have been edited before in a previous version of Premiere by another editor, without issue so they should work...

All help appreciated

Thanks

jON

(Premiere CS5.5, Win 7 64bit, core i7 2600K at 4.8Ghz, 16Gb RAM, GeFore GTX 570)

• 1. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You can:

1. Purchase Calibrated{Q} XD Decode, a QuickTime component for decoding, among other codecs, XDCAM-EX MOVs on a PC. It's not free, but it's basically pay-and-play; once installed, you can import the files and work with them without another thought.
          2. Rewrap the MOVs back into MXF files, which will import natively into Premiere Pro. This is a bit more advanced, and involves some space and time, but is free and has the added benefit of letting Pr working in a 64-bit native process to decode these files.

If you're interested in the latter, grab MediaInfo and run a report on one of the MOVs; copy and paste from Text view here. I'll take it from there...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
            sn0wctrl Level 1

Ace, ta - gonna go the cheap route first at least, see where it goes.  Info from MediaInfo as you suggest:

General

Complete name                    : H:\Videos\Clinuvel Clinical videos\Formulation\Implantation video working files\implant1.mov

Format                           : MPEG-4

Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM EX 35

Format profile                   : QuickTime

Codec ID                         : qt 

File size                        : 1.30 GiB

Duration                         : 5mn 6s

Overall bit rate mode            : Variable

Overall bit rate                 : 36.5 Mbps

Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-09-15 08:49:09

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-11-07 09:51:50

Writing library                  : Apple QuickTime

©TSC                             : 50

©TSZ                             : 1

Video

ID                               : 1

Format                           : MPEG Video

Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM EX 35

Format version                   : Version 2

Format profile                   : Main@High

Format settings, BVOP            : Yes

Format settings, Matrix          : Custom

Codec ID                         : xdva

Codec ID/Hint                    : XDCAM

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 34.9 Mbps

Maximum bit rate                 : 35.0 Mbps

Width                            : 1 248 pixels

Original width                   : 1 280 pixels

Height                           : 702 pixels

Original height                  : 720 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate mode                  : Constant

Frame rate                       : 50.000 fps

Standard                         : Component

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.797

Stream size                      : 1.24 GiB (96%)

Title                            : Apple Video Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung

Language                         : English

Tagged date                      : UTC 2010-09-15 08:49:58

Audio

ID                               : 2

Format                           : PCM

Format settings, Endianness      : Little

Format settings, Sign            : Signed

Codec ID                         : sowt

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth                        : 16 bits

Stream size                      : 56.1 MiB (4%)

Title                            : Apple Ton Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung

Menu

ID                               : 3

Title                            : Zeitmarken-Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung

Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-09-15 08:49:58

jON

• 3. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Hi Jon,

OK, this should do it for you: http://www.mediafire.com/file/o13jgho6m4hik0h/xdcamfix.zip

Download that, extract the files to the same folder as your MOVs, and double-click the "xdcamfix.bat" file. Sit back for a few moments while the clips are rewrapped; you'll wind up with MXF files that have dual mono instead of stereo audio (you can remap to stereo after you import into Pr, if you like). This will process all MOVs in the folder, and create MXFs with the same name. Simply import into Premiere Pro, and go to town. Enjoy the cost savings

(If you get any errors, let me know.)

• 4. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                sn0wctrl Level 1

Hi Colin

Thanks for your help

Unfortunately I can't seem to get this to work - the xdcamfix file creates .mxfs of 0Kb in size, and Premiere won't import them.  The .movs seem to be as they were

When trying to import the .mxf file into Premiere, it says "These files are of an unsupported compression type"

I've also downloaded the demo of Calibrated Q XD decode and have that installed, to no effect - the files (the orignal .movs) still show up as red with flickers of digital dropout as they did before

Any suggestions?

Thanks

jON

• 5. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, put the files from the zip and one of your MOVs into its own folder. Hold down Shift and right-click in the Explorer pane for that folder; select "Open command window here." That will launch a DOS box that is open to the folder you just created.

At the command prompt, type "xdcamfix" (without the quotes) and hit Enter. Some stuff will fly by, and you'll probably get an error message in red text. Let me know what that says.

Do you have a very small test file you could upload somewhere? If you have a small file but no upload location, let me know via PM and I'll get you an FTP access.

• 6. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                    sn0wctrl Level 1

Hi Colin

Sorry for the late reply, I am grateful for the help, have been juggling projects (you know how it is)

I did as you said, this was the result:result.jpg

I've also installed the Calibrated Q codec you mentioned in demo mode - this won't seem to open the files either

jON

• 7. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Der der... I'm a bonehead

OK, right-click on the BAT file and select "Edit"--this will open up the batch file for editing in Notepad. Near the end of the script, you'll see a little text blob that says:

0:2:0:0:2:0

Change it to read:

0:1:1:0:2:0

Save the file, and try the batch again; it should work now.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                        sn0wctrl Level 1

oooOOOOooooo very impressive

Ta muchly (it works)

Any idea why the Calibrated Q codec didn't work?  Is it just not a supported format?

jON

• 9. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Cool! Glad that worked. If you're interested, the reason that the original batch didn't work was because I had the audio channel mapping wrong; the script was looking for a second audio track, which wasn't there. The source files have a single stereo track, while the MXF output requires mono audio (which I think I mentioned above), so we have to do some rerouting of the input channels in the script. You'll notice that when these MXFs import, Pr reports them as "2 Mono" vs. "Stereo," which is true; just use remapping in Pr if you prefer them as stereo.

Not really sure about why XD Decode didn't work. It should enable decoding of any of the XDCAM flavors. What version of QuickTime Player are you using? The folks at Calibrated are very fast to respond, so you might email their support. I must confess that I don't actually use the product, beyond having tried it out as a demo; when I need to use this kind of footage, I use my hack workaround

• 10. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                            sn0wctrl Level 1

I can certainly see the appeal of your workaround...

I thought it would be good to have the Calibrated codec demo running as the documentation says it works but adds a watermark, so for speed of assessing material I receive (rather than having to re-encode to view) it's a good way forward - I'll buy it when I get to that moment of receiving a large amount of footage that I will need to use at once, making the workaround too slow

I wonder if the Calibrated codec is actually working?  No reason why it shouldn't be, just I have no easy way of testing it - I have no footage to hand that I know requires it, and I don't know how to vaildate its presence in Premiere or Afx

I'm using Quicktime 7.7.1 - it originally installed from the iTunes 64bit installer, but in COntrol Panel calls itself Quicktime 32bit - not sure if there's an offical Apple 64bi version of Quicktime for PCs?

jON

• 11. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

QuickTime 7 (for PCs, anyway) is 32-bit; I think QuickTime X which is only available on Macs is 64-bit, but that's a completely different animal. I know that there is some issue with the XD Decode component and Apple HDV files (actually it's an issue in QT7, and not the Calibrated stuff) where you have to use no later than QuickTime 7.6.9, but I don't believe that affects XDCAM files. With XD Decode installed, can you open up one of the files in QuickTime Player? If so, the plug-in is working (at least outside of Pr). I just tried the latest version here, and it seems to be working externally... and it works in Pr CS5.5, as well (with watermark).

You might consider VLC for playback: VideoLAN - VLC. It will playback XDCAM MOVs without requiring the XD Decode plugin

• 12. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                Sean72 Level 1

Colin, you are a hero for this one!  Worked just fine after the edit on the two different 1080 stock footage clips I just bought and could not use on my PC.  Thank you!

• 13. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                  dstack1014 Level 1

Colin, I had the same issue and your ffmbc.exe and xdcamfix.bat worked for me! Thank you SO much!  I just spent about 3 hours trying everything I could find with no luck until I found this. Fortunately I didn't have to modify or edit the bat file in any way. I simply extracted to the folder with the MOV files and double clicked on the bat file and waited as the mxf files were created.

YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!

• 14. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                    Magnus Allgurén Level 2

I have successfully used a little tool by Convergent Design called File Converter 1.6, XDCAM EX/XDCAM 422, Quicktime MOV to MXF (http://www.convergent-design.com/Products/nanoFlash/Downloads.aspx)

It's a one click conversion tool for those XDCAM EX/XDCAM 422 files that come in a QT container.

• 15. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                      rtrobr Level 1

I have a similar problem. A friend sent me the .mov files he recordedin the XDCAM 16x9 1920x1080 . I can't import them into my Win7 Premiere Pro. Codec Missing or unavailable. Lots of people seem to have the same proble id using a PC - particularly when they have been sent the .mov files on a hard drive. The folder

I can play the videos using VLC but not on WindowsMedia or DivX (sound only) or with QuickTime ( won't load - needs new software from Adobe plugins)

If this is a codec problem why can VLC play it?

I have checked out the files with MediaInfo and they are slightly different to the above. Are there ary rules to determing the value of the parameter for the bat file for my mov file. I think this looks like stereo but you will recognise the information you would need. I tried the current bat but that has another audio file map.

General
                                      Complete name                            : P:\H2012 Videos Walter HD\contest.jury.mov
                                      Format                                   : MPEG-4
                                      Commercial name                          : XDCAM EX 35
                                      Format profile                           : QuickTime
                                      Codec ID                                 : qt 
                                      File size                                : 85.4 MiB
                                      Duration                                 : 19s 720ms
                                      Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                      Overall bit rate                         : 36.3 Mbps
                                      Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-11-15 18:58:16
                                      Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-21 12:46:49
                                      Writing library                          : Apple QuickTime
                                      ©TSC                                     : 25
                                      ©TSZ                                     : 1

Video
                                      ID                                       : 1
                                      Format                                   : MPEG Video
                                      Commercial name                          : XDCAM EX 35
                                      Format version                           : Version 2
                                      Format profile                           : Main@High
                                      Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
                                      Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
                                      Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
                                      Codec ID                                 : xdve
                                      Bit rate mode                            : Variable
                                      Bit rate                                 : 35.0 Mbps
                                      Width                                    : 1 888 pixels
                                      Original width                           : 1 920 pixels
                                      Height                                   : 1 062 pixels
                                      Original height                          : 1 080 pixels
                                      Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
                                      Frame rate mode                          : Constant
                                      Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
                                      Standard                                 : Component
                                      Color space                              : YUV
                                      Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
                                      Bit depth                                : 8 bits
                                      Scan type                                : Progressive
                                      Compression mode                         : Lossy
                                      Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.698
                                      Stream size                              : 81.7 MiB (96%)
                                      Title                                    : Apple Video Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung
                                      Language                                 : English
                                      Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:34
                                      Color primaries                          : BT.709
                                      Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
                                      Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
                                      ID                                       : 2
                                      Format                                   : PCM
                                      Format settings, Endianness              : Little
                                      Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
                                      Codec ID                                 : sowt
                                      Bit rate mode                            : Constant
                                      Bit rate                                 : 1 536 Kbps
                                      Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
                                      Channel positions                        : Front: L R
                                      Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
                                      Bit depth                                : 16 bits
                                      Stream size                              : 3.61 MiB (4%)
                                      Title                                    : Apple Ton Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung
                                      Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:33

Menu
                                      ID                                       : 3
                                      Title                                    : Zeitmarken-Mediensteuerung / Apple Alias-Datensteuerung
                                      Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:34
                                      Tagged date                              : UTC 2012-11-15 19:01:34

• 16. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                        SimonHy Level 2

They've been converted to movs using Sony's XDCAM utility for Final Cut Pro. VLC can read them because it uses it's own inbuilt decoders, not the system codecs. If you have Final Cut installed they'll play, if you're on a PC you need to use the convergent design convertor, or get the shooter to send you the original media from before they converted it to mov.

• 17. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                          rtrobr Level 1

Thanks - I am using a PC - Win 7. The camerman is away, filming , but I will see what I can do. I tried the  convergent design convertor but the mxf file it produced would not import into PPro either - "importer reported a generic error". It opens properly in VLC.

• 18. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                            SimonHy Level 2

The other option is the one Colin mentioned above: http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXD.asp

It installs a codec pack that allows you to work with the files. It's probably the easiest way to go, but it's not free. I think they have a free version you can trial to test if it works though, it just puts a watermark over your shots. Good way to test if it's going to solve your problem before you spend any money on it though.

• 19. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                              rtrobr Level 1

I got this to work using the demo version and had some  very useful conversations with them. Excellent support.

• 20. Re: Specific set of XDCam EX720p50 footage won't play in Premiere (or After Effects)
                                                kyuuketsuki

You are my salvation! Many thanks for ths hint, i've been struggling for few days to solve this problem.