5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 2:04 PM by [Jongware]

5.5 -> 5.0 file incompatible - seriously?

comitant Level 1

Ok, so 3 machines in our office run Indesign CS 5.  We decided to buy 3 more copies of Indesign, this time CS 5.5.  After installing I realize that a 5.5 document is 100% INCOMPATIBLE with CS 5.0.  I have to export the file... right, ok. 

Has Indesign 5.5 introduced some ground break new features?  No

Has Indesign 5.5 radically changed how it writes its format?  No

This $@#&ing ridiculous.  Why have you done this Adobe? 

• 1. Re: 5.5 -> 5.0 file incompatible - seriously?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Here we go again...

> Has Indesign 5.5 introduced some ground break new features?

In fact, it has, in the area of epub and in anchored objects. This may not be usefult to your workflow (it's not particularly useful to me as I produce for print, but the real world is moving toward an on-screen reality).

> Has Indesign 5.5 radically changed how it writes its format?

I don't know about radically, but it certainly has changed (I can't read the bianry data to know the specifics, can you?). If the file format hadn't changed, the file would open in CS5. And it's not some conspiracy. Changes happen because they need to in order to support new or changed features.

• 2. Re: 5.5 -> 5.0 file incompatible - seriously?
            dave c courtemanche Level 2

Has any version upgrade of ID been openable by previous versions? Why would you assume that? Why would you buy without taking 2 seconds to research? Don't think you can fault Adobe for a misstep on your part...

• 3. Re: 5.5 -> 5.0 file incompatible - seriously?
              comitant Level 1

Have you guys used Illustrator or Photoshop?  These programs have had significant changes throughout the CS cycles but still preserve backwards compatibility.  PSD is a perfect example... 

At the very least they could offer a save-as option to 5.0 instead of the pathetic export option.  Consider that when you export to PDF, Indesign gives explicit compatibility options. 

Also, there's no option to buy more licenses of 5.0, so even if I had researched this %@#-up I wouldn't be able to get 3 more licenses unless I went to Ebay. 

• 4. Re: 5.5 -> 5.0 file incompatible - seriously?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Photoshop and Illustrator files are a quite a bit different, and less complex, than .indd files. It's apples and oranges.

And there IS a way, though not obvious, to get CS5, even today. Buy CS5.5 from a volume reseller (minimum purcahse is 1 license, apparently) and they can give you a CS5 downgrade as well.

• 5. Re: 5.5 -> 5.0 file incompatible - seriously?
                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Peter Spier wrote:

Here we go again...

I sense a FAQ coming up. (It also might be my dinner.)

> Has Indesign 5.5 radically changed how it writes its format?

I don't know about radically, but it certainly has changed (I can't read the bianry data to know the specifics, can you?). If the file format hadn't changed, the file would open in CS5. And it's not some conspiracy. Changes happen because they need to in order to support new or changed features.

The file format is the same, except there are added features in CS5.5 that also get written into the file. One can imagine the uproar if CS5.5 did not save any of the new features!

Even when there is only one item added, that's already enough to render the file un-recognizable by older versions.