6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 5:18 PM by smforrest

exporting titles from after effects to premiere

smforrest Level 1

Hello. I am a relatively inexperienced user with the creative suite 5.5 programs. (I am working on a Windows 7 machine.) I created a title in After Effects that was just text with a transparent background. However, when I exported it as a movie (AVI) and imported it into Premiere, the text is now on an opaque black background. This surprised me because I have the checkerboard transparency view in After Effects, and all I have there is the text. How can I create text only on an otherwise transparent layer to bring into Premiere? Is there a preferred export setting for this? The posted info says I cannot just copy and paste text layers from one program to the other. (I know how to use the titler in Premiere - this would be for instances where I am doing more complicated text animations that rely on After Effects.)  Thank you in advance for your help. I know this is basic, but I cannot find anything that addresses this specifically.

Steve Forrest

• 1. Re: exporting titles from after effects to premiere
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Only some codecs allow the inclusion of an alpha channel on output. Which codec did you use?

There's information on this page about some codecs and formats that can include alpha channels.

• 2. Re: exporting titles from after effects to premiere
            smforrest Level 1

Hi, Todd,

Thank you for your response. Your link was blank (http:///) so I was unable to use it. I searched around in the render queue but didn't find anything that seemed relevant to what codec was being employed. A friend had also mentioned that it might be an issue of channels and masks, but I don't know what to do to address that. I haven't messed with any settings - everything is on default. It seems like such a basic task that it's surprising that I need this kind of help to get it done, but there it is. I really appreciate your assistance, and eagerly await further suggestions.

Steve

• 3. Re: exporting titles from after effects to premiere
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

smforrest wrote:

A friend had also mentioned that it might be an issue of channels and masks, but I don't know what to do to address that. I haven't messed with any settings - everything is on default.

Oh, it's a case of not using a codec that supports alpha channels, I bet. 

Tell you what you do:  got quicktime?  Render a quicktime movie in either the PNG or Animation codecs, RGB + Alpha, Millions (or in some cases Trillions) of Colors +.  Depending on your editing application, it should be either Straight or Premultiplied.  Straight is more common, so you could start with it.  Or render both kinds and you're covered.

• 5. Re: exporting titles from after effects to premiere
                smforrest Level 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help. Dave's suggestion ultimately worked. The issue isn't even whether it's AVI or MOV, animation, straight, or premulitplied. The issue seems to be simply whether the output is RGB+. I have created two versions of the animation now, one AVI, one MOV and they both work with transparent background. I had to go into the render queue and then the output module settings, and make sure it was set for RGB+. Some modules allow that, others don't. The codec was even set to none, but if I have an output of RGB+, I'm good to go. I still don't really fully understand all this, and don't remember the exact sequence of clicks - - more to the point, it seems really pretty involved to do something really basic. Any other comments or thoughts would be much appreciated, but at least I can now make a title with a transparent background in AE.

With great appreciation,

Steve Forrest

• 6. Re: exporting titles from after effects to premiere
                  smforrest Level 1

Todd -

The link helped me conceptualize alpha channel and transparency (which I have struggled with in the past). However, ultimately I needed to know what setting to adjust, what button to click, which can be hard when you have to wade through all the various support materials. I am teaching (if you can believe it) video and film classes at a local high school. We had been using CS 3 the last couple of years, and I was just starting to get the hang of those, when we moved to CS5, so I am still somewhat disoriented and have taken a step backwards. Much of it is the same, but it can still be pretty daunting when even something as basic as this takes this much research, community help, etc.  (The move back to Audition from Soundbooth is especially confounding, because we were operating more on the amateur than the high pro level.)  Anyway, between classroom in a book, adobe tv, creative cow, lynda.com, and the manual, I can usually figure my fairly basic problems out, but this was really frustrating, in part because it just seemed to basic. So again, thanks so much for you time and helping me get going again.

Sincerely,

Steve