3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 7:20 AM by MurraySummers

Dreamweaver Template Error: Error reading file (Site Location/info) returned incomplete data

JanineP

Hello!
      I am working on new website we are creating for our company. I have never really had any Dreamweaver template file errors before...so this one has me really stumped! We purchased the site files from Template Monster and I have contacted their tech support, but I have not had much luck with them.

I started out by creating the Dreamweaver template folder that includes the template files that I would like to use. I started creating some pages using the template. I placed all the html pages in the main folder of the website. When I go to update the template to those pages I get the following error: "Error reading file (Site Location\Folder name\Dreamweaver template name) returned incomplete data".

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

The site is a CSS based site with a Flash navigation menu. Since it is in the production phase, I do not yet have it placed on a server so you can take a look at it at this time (although if really needed and we cannot find an answer, I may be able to get the test site on line - if someone thinks they can help me answer this problem by viewing the site). Right now the site is housed in the same place we house all of the other sites we have produced and all of our other templates on our other websites work just fine. The main difference with this site is that we did purchase files from Template Monster to help speed us along during the construction of the page structures and also this site has a Flash Navigation Menu and a few other Flash elements (something our other sites do not really have).

I am using Abobe Dreamweaver CS5 and Windows 7

Thanks again for taking the time to help find and answer to this problem!

-J

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver Template Error: Error reading file (Site Location/info) returned incomplete data
          MurraySummers Level 8

We purchased the site files from Template Monster

There's problem #1 and 2!  We don't like their work around these parts....

I started out by creating the Dreamweaver template folder that includes the template files that I would like to use.

How many Template files are you using on this site?

When I go to update the template to those pages I get the following error: "Error reading file (Site Location\Folder name\Dreamweaver template name) returned incomplete data".

I'm curious what your workflow is here.  Are you opening a DWT file and making changes to it, then saving the file?  When do you get the error?

The site is a CSS based site with a Flash navigation menu.

This is problems #3 and 4.  Using Flash for navigation means that the navigation is not visible to iPlatforms, to search engines, and to anyone using a screen assistive device.  This is an extraordinarily poor choice and one that will bite you badly (assuming you have not also provided a redundant text navigation element for the site somewhere on your page).

And depending on where your response takes us, we will likely need to see your page(s).  So, get ready.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver Template Error: Error reading file (Site Location/info) returned incomplete data
            JanineP Level 1

Hi Murray -

The company I work for wanted to purchase the files from Monster Template, so I am just working with the cards I am dealt with here. We have edited the files give to make them our own. I did contact TM's support and they were of little help. I got an email back from them basically telling me not to use the .dwt files anymore and just to save everything as the .html files. This is not what I wanted to do. I am curious as to why no one likes them around here. Sometimes I like their tech support, sometimes I don't - I think it depends on who I get answering my emails that day.

So, for my Dreamweaver Template problem - I went to my company's tech department. I wasn't sure if they could help me or not because I had thought it was a Dreamweaver (or actual file)problem. And please forgive me if I don't explain this all perfectly, I will try my best. My co-worker and I have to share the files, since we are editing the site together. The files are not local on our computers, but on the company's f drive that have Novell on it. The tech department suggest that I place the files on my local computer to see if I get the same error. I did not!! So then the tech guys got another drive for my co-worker and myself that does not involve Novell. So far everything is working fine as of this morning! We have been testing out the templates and site - and my fingers are crossed that we do not get the error again!

We were only using 2 templates to handle a few groups of specific pages (for now) that may expand depending on our needs.

BUT now...I am running in to another little problem I may have to move over to the Flash forum for another question. I am brand new at Flash - (I have only used Flash for one month). And I need to add in one more tab/link to the Flash nav bar. I am trying to study as hard as I can to get a grasp on making Flash work for us. So far, I was done editing the Flash nav bar, when it was suggested to add in one more tab/link - for a beginner to Flash like me, easier said than done. We do have other text type/CSS type link elements on the web pages - but I am going to look into those further, thank you for the suggestion!

So far the templates are working as they should be...I am hoping things stay that way. Thanks for your time!

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver Template Error: Error reading file (Site Location/info) returned incomplete data
              MurraySummers Level 8

I am curious as to why no one likes them around here.

1. They have spammed these forums in the past.
              2. The code on their pages is rarely 'best-practice' code.
              3. There are much better choices available.

My co-worker and I have to share the files, since we are editing the site together. The files are not local on our computers, but on the company's f drive that have Novell on it.

This arrangement is a recipe for disaster.  The correct way to collaborate on a site with a colleague is with the following setup:

1. Each of you must have a LOCAL site (local to your workstation)
              2. You would use a single remote location as a staging area, so each of you would have a site definition that specifies your own workstation for the local site, and the same network shared location as the Remote site
              3. You will both need to enable Check In/ Check Out
              4. You will both have to agree to PLAY BY THE RULES!
              5. One (or both) of you will also need to have a second site defined that has the staging server as the local root folder, and would have the PRODUCTION server as the remote site.  I'll explain how to use this site soon.

When you use CI/CO, your 'gold-standard files' are on the staging server.  To begin working, you would connect to the staging server, and double click on a file, which will a) fetch the file from the staging server to your local site, and b) CHECK OUT the file to you.  As long as you have the file checked out, it cannot be edited by your colleague.  When you are done with your edit, you would CHECK IN the file (which uploads it to the staging server).  It can now be edited by your colleague.

When you add templates to this scenario, things get even more complicated, although manageable.  If you ever need to make a change to a template you must use the following procedure:

1. ALL FILES MUST BE CHECKED IN - this includes both you and your colleague.
              2. One of you would connect with the SECOND SITE, open and edit the template, and save it propagating the changes to all "LOCAL" files (i.e., on the staging server).
              3. Each of you would then need to return to the FIRST SITE, and again check out any files you want to work on.
              4. When changes are done, and files are ready to publish, connect to the SECOND SITE, and upload the files from STAGING to PRODUCTION.

Does that make sense?  It's important that it does.

I need to add in one more tab/link to the Flash nav bar.

Using Flash for navigation is a VERY POOR CHOICE, unless you also have redundant, text-based navigation on the pages.  By using Flash to navigate, you guarantee: a) your pages will not be spiderable by search engines, b) your pages will not be navigable by iPlatforms, and c) your pages will be inaccessible to anyone browsing with screen assistive devices.  Someone is making bad decisions about this site, in my opinion.