4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 7:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Can you use more than one computer to edit the same Premiere Elements Project?

WDKlein1000 Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 10.  I have built a new project on my desktop computer because the desktop has a firewire port to capture video from my camcorder and my laptop doesn't have a firewire port.  The project is stored on my home network.  I seem to be able to do editing fine using the desktop computer that the project was created on, but it won't load up right on the laptop for editing.  Premiere Elements is configured the same on both computers.  I guess my question is - does Premiere Elements store something on on the computer that the project was created on that is not being stored on the network drive?    How can I fix the problem so that I can edit on my laptop? The laptop is a top of the line Dell XPS with an i7 processor that I use for other Premiere projects, so the laptops ability is not an issue.

Thanks

Bill

• 1. Re: Can you use more than one computer to edit the same Premiere Elements Project?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As long as your project file and media files are on the network drive and you have the same version of the program on both computers, you should be able to open and edit the project with either computer. Assuming your laptop is properly configured and mapped to navigate the network drive.

And I'd recommend that you're not trying to edit over a wi-fi connection either. Make sure your laptop is connected to your network computer by a good ethernet cable.

• 2. Re: Can you use more than one computer to edit the same Premiere Elements Project?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though I have a very fast NAS, and network, I have found that to efficiently edit a Project, I want my Project, and Assets on at least a FW-800 external (same drive letter in the OS of each computer), and an eSATA would be even better.

I do this all of the time, and transport my Projects between my laptop by the pool and the workstation in the editing suite.

I set up each Project, with all Assets (or Copies, as most of my Assets are stored on the NAS), in a folder hierarchy for that Project. With the drive letter set the same, on each machine, I migrate them seamlessly, and with zero problems. Even mega-Projects, with 1,000's of Assets, load quickly - unlike when working over the network, or from the NAS.

With but a bit of planning, you should have zero problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can you use more than one computer to edit the same Premiere Elements Project?
              WDKlein1000 Level 1

Thanks Steve and Bill

I am using a wired network.  I think what did the trick was to change the letter of the drive I was using to access the home network drive.  It was being accessed using a different letter on the desktop machine than was being used by the laptop. I don't get it, but once I made the drive letters the same, I was able to begin editting on the laptop.

Thanks again for your prompt help.

Bill

• 4. Re: Can you use more than one computer to edit the same Premiere Elements Project?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, having files stored on a HDD, but having the letter change between machines is a problem. The Project file (PREL) is only an XML database, with links to the Assets. Those links are Absolute Paths, so if anything changes, from drive letter, to file name, the link is broken.

I have over a dozen externals, that I use to migrate Projects between my main two computers. Each has had its drive letter set in OS of each computer. I started with Z:\ and worked down. Each drive has a lable on it with the designated drive letter. Unfortunately, I ran out of letters, as the workstation has a ton of HDD's and burners, so I had to start over. That does mean that I cannot have both Z:\ drives plugged in at the same time, but that has never been an issue. I wish that Windows would allow for double drive letters, say ZZ:\, but still, I have a handful of letters to use - just too many externals for those letters...

Happy editing,

Hunt