2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 3:05 AM by Michael Gianino

How to continue current page numbers through multiple files?

DPhoto3976

Hi,

I am working on a 400 page indesign file. The file is enourmous and I would like to break it up in to pieces for easier management. I currently have the current page markers on the master pages, but if I break the file into multiple files, the page numbers obviously start at number on on each file. I can't seem to find a way to continue current page numbering through multiple files. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to continue current page numbers through multiple files?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You have two options that I can think of. First is to open the numbering and section options for the fist page of each file and force a new start number, but this means if page counts change in any file you have to come back to each file and do it again manually.

Better, in my opinion, is to combine the separate files into a Book (File > New > Book). A book will allow you to maintain not only page synchronization with one click, but also synch styles, swatches and master pages across all of the document if you choose to do so, and to export the documents to one PDF when you are done.

• 2. Re: How to continue current page numbers through multiple files?
            Michael Gianino Level 4

Section starts at the beginning of each document would be the manual way, but if you create a new book (File>New>Book), you can add a number of InDesign documents as chapters, and page numbering will be automatically updated as each chapter is added. Also, if you need to move chapters around, the page numbers will change, and they will change if you add or delete pages from any chapter.

EDIT: Peter's fingers are quicker than mine.