9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 4:43 PM by pip *

unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5

pip *

When I try to render a 7 x 7 pixel movie in CS5 the final result is a 16 x 16 pixel movie.

Comp settings are 7 x 7 square pixels. Render Setting  is Best  and Output Module is Lossless.

Both Crop & Resize in Output Module Settings are unchecked but Output Module Setting displays the following dialogue in settings mismatch.

AE_settings mismatch.png

The (time consuming and annoying) workaround has been to recreate the project in CS3.

Is there anyway to overide these "format constraints"?

thanks

Pip

• 1. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No. They are imposed by compatibility requirements with 64bit.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you going to use the 7X7 movie? You could render to an image sequence. That would work if you're going to build a flash file or an animated gif.

• 3. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
              pip * Level 1

The quicktime movies get played back by a media server into a a low resolution surface and need to be pixel perfect hence working at such a low resolution.

An image sequence is no good to me because source files need to be quicktime.

If I try to build a quicktime movie from the image sequence After Effects will render it out at 16 x 16 pixels and we're back to square one.

This method has served me well in previous projects using CS3 and earlier but CS5 seems to have scuppered the workflow.

Projects are set up from scratch so it's not like there's a bunch of settings getting transferred across and corrupting the project.

thanks

Pip

• 4. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

pip * wrote:

An image sequence is no good to me because source files need to be quicktime.

An image sequence wouldn't IMMEDIATELY be good, perhaps.  But there's nothing that says you can't open an image sequence in Quicktime in the desired frame rate, then export a quicktime movie in the codec of your choice.

• 5. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
                  bogiesan Level 4

interesting thread.

I'd be working in a mutliple of 7, like, say, 70x70 pixels and scaling down to 10% in a subsequent operation using a product more specific to the task. Don't know what that would be but possibly just Compressor or some otehr compressor/convertor.

But 7x7 pixels is similar to those old timey GIF animations like favicons. Lots of GIF animators still on the market.

• 6. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
                    pip * Level 1

All these lovely workarounds that have people drifting down memory lane are FAB but I'm not interested in digging out the old powerbook out and revisiting applications.

After Effects was the saving light as far as I was concerned. Proper software capable anything you could throw at it. Square pixels.... any size you want... we can handle it.

I can do what I need to do by going back to CS3 but CS5 should work too... Unfortunately the quest for new features seems to break basic functionality.

I appreciate the need for After Effects to keep to Pixel Aspect Ratios for standard formats but a square pixel comp should be any pixel dimensions that I require.

The official line from Todd on the Region of Interest blog is:

"There didn’t seem to be a lot of value in publishing the huge comprehensive matrix of constraints for every format, since now After Effects CS5 tells you in the Output Module Settings dialog box if you’re violating them and what the relevant values are for what you’re trying to do."

Publish it... it might be useful.

Better than spending a few hours working on a project only to be tripped up when you finally get to the render queue.

Guys, thanks for your input I've been having fun messing image sequences :-)

Pip

• 7. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
                      bogiesan Level 4

> I'm not interested in digging out the old powerbook out and revisiting applications.<

A bit parochial. One does what one needs to do. In our never ending quest around here for fire, for instance, the coolest pyro is often achieved by setting some stuff on fire and shooting it. 

I have a fabulous Nikon slide scanner Nikon archived about 10 years ago; only works on a G5 running three versions of OS10 ago. There is nothing as good on the market so I keep that thing around.

• 8. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
                        Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Pip,

I was the Quality Engineer who tested the exporter constraints in After Effects CS5.  Todd and I agreed that publishing the full list of constraints isn't useful because so much of it is dependent on the particular format, and often the particular settings (codec, profile, level, etc.) within that format, and that the bulk of the list would be noise.  Also, I stand by Todd's assertion in his article that the dialog does a sufficient job of informing users about the constraints when they hit them; us publishing a separate list wouldn't add much value, as you're not going to search for such a thing before you encounter the problem.

The basic answer to your problem isn't any different than what the others here have recommended: you will need to use a different application or an older version of AE to encode 7x7 QuickTime files.

Can you elaborate on how you use 7x7 pixel files?  What is the product and/or service that requires a file of that size?  It's important for us to understand your workflow; it helps us make better decisions about the change we might make for future releases.

Related to this, after releasing After Effects CS5 we received some complaints about the new minimum size constraints.  The workflow in those cases was for stadium video boards, which can have a very small minimum height.  So for AE CS5.5, we reduced the minimum size to 8x8 pixels, which was small enough for that workflow, according to the users we were talking to.

Why the minimum constraints at all?  It's not directly caused by the 64-bit upgrade as alluded to by Mylenium, but that's part of the story.

Older versions of After Effects used the QuickTime API directly; we talked to QuickTime and passed it the frames to encode.  Because there is no 64-bit version of the QuickTime encoding API, we couldn't do that with the new 64-bit architecture After Effects CS5.  We use our own 64-bit encoding framework, shared with Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder, and use a 32-bit intermediate process to talk to QuickTime.  Our encoding framework is where the minimum size constraints are imposed.

We changed the minimum size constraint once.  It's feasible we could change it again in a future release if you or other users can provide us with a good use case for it.  I won't promise anything.  Please keep in mind that us making such a change isn't a simple matter; besides the actual engineering work, the change will need to be tested and verified (it's functional and doesn't cause new bugs) across several different applications (AE, Premiere, AME, others) under a variety of conditions.

Feel free to PM me through this forum if you'd rather not discuss details of your workflow in a public forum.

-=TimK

-=Adobe After Effects and Adobe Media Encoder QE

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: unable to render 7 x 7 pixel movie in AE CS5
                          pip * Level 1

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Things are now becoming clearer and I'd prefer to PM you with details of the workflow.

PIp