6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 7:41 PM by JFPhoton

New Hard Drives

flbreen Level 1

Since I build my editing PC there seems to have been a few upgrades in hard drives

I would like to know how the new hard drives fit into the lastest editing PC recommendations.

I assume that all hard drives now are SATA 6.0.

1) 3 TB 7500 hard drives

2) 10000 & 15000 rpm hard drives

3) SSD

• 1. Re: New Hard Drives
          JEShort01 Level 4

Yes, drives have evolved indeed!

Present day 3TB (also 2TB) 7200 rpm drives (I don't think you meant 7500) are great for video editing PCs. They are big and fast.

While 10k and 15k drives are indeed fast, their data throughput for large file reads and writes (like we need for video) are typically not much more than the big 7.2k drives, but they are smaller in capacity, noiser, hotter, and more expensive.

Finally, while SSD drives make great C:\ drives (Operating system, programs, etc.), they really are not well suited for video editing purposes (laptop video editing would be an exception where you may be limited to 2.5" laptop drives). SSDs do "reads" very fast and have seek times close to zero, however their write speeds are not competitive with rotating drives especially if you are considering their high cost.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Hard Drives
            Jim_Simon Level 9

It's pretty even, I'd say.  Of the 1TB or larger 7200 RPM hard drives, Newegg lists 14 at 6 GB/s, and 19 at 3 GB/s.

There aren't any 1TB or larger at higher RPMs.

The closest you get in an SSD is 960GB, but they run for well over $2,000 each.

Personally, I'd say don't worry too much about it unless you really need new hard drives.

• 3. Re: New Hard Drives
              flbreen Level 1

Would it be usefull to use a 10K drive for the C: drive as opposed to an SSD?

Would it be usefull to use a 10K drive for the scratch drive as opposed to a 7.2K drive?

• 4. Re: New Hard Drives
                JEShort01 Level 4

SSDs are better boot drives for sure.  Others here often differ with that statement here, but I personally went from using 10k boot drives to using SSD boot drives and they are indeed faster. Make sure you get a non-Sandforce SSD. I've used both Intel and Crucial SSDs with zero issues, but there are some real bad stories about some other manufacturer's SSD drives having major issues.

For a single drive used as a scratch drive, 10k should work better. For RAID 0/5/6/10/30/3 arrays (that was I use), the 7.2k drives work plenty fast.

Jim

• 5. Re: New Hard Drives
                  flbreen Level 1

Thanks for the note.

I am not planning to upgrad my 2010 system but I wanted to keep current with the trends.

• 6. Re: New Hard Drives
                    JFPhoton Level 3

...go to storagereview.com to read the latest developments and tests regarding ssds,hdds, and new hybrid devices like revo drives...I am curious how  these devices  will do in the future...esp. in laptops....I've been using SATA II ssds,( Corsair F120s ) without trouble in my Asus laptop for a long time now...they have sandforce...JFPhoton