8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2011 11:52 AM by Jim_Simon

AVCHD Editing -New System

tm-nader Level 1

Building a new system and was hoping to get some direction from the forum. I exclusively work with AVCHD and want a system that can smoothly handle the work load. Besides the MPE adobe certified Nvida video card (looking @ GTX-570), what should I place the most importance on? In addition, I have read a lot threads on hard drive set-up, but still a little confused...what type of HDs should I purchase (speed/cache), how many, and how should they be configured (operating system on one, Adobe on another)? Below is what I have spec'd out so far:

CS5 Creative Suite

Window 7 64-bit

GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

MSI X58M LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

24Gig RAM DDR3

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

• 1. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Bad choices all over!

The i7-2600K requires a 1155 socket, and does not fit in a X58 mobo. A Z68 1155 mobo will not (affordably) accept more than 16 GB. Ecogreen is out. Single disk is below minimum requirements.

I suggest you go for an i7-2700K, 16 GB memory, leave the 570 in your list, it is good, get a Samsung Spinpoint 320 GB F4, add an Intel 311 SSD and use SRT, get at least 4 Samsung F3 1 TB disks in two raid0 arrays, or go for the WD Caviar Blacks or Hitachi 7K3000 series.

• 2. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
            tm-nader Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the reply. I am looking into your recommendations. How do you recommend I set-up my hard drives in terms of where do install operating system, adobe CS5, files for project, output from project.

• 3. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
              Harm Millaard Level 7

OS and 2 raid0 arrays count as three disks, so look here under 3 disk configurations: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

• 4. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
                tm-nader Level 1

Awesome. Thank you sir. I may be back with more questions before I pull the trigger and start buying computer parts.

• 5. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do not skimp on power supply... 850watt "gold" model, or even more with a lot of hard drives

Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version)

Or http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tpk=power%20supply%20calculator

• 6. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

OS and 2 raid0 arrays count as three disks, so look here under 3 disk configurations

If you want to count RAID 0 as a viable disk config, then you need to up the recommended minimum to 5 drives, accounting for backups.  You don't want Projects or Media (typically one of the three drives for each) to be only on a RAID 0.

And since any RAID 0 needs a minimum of two drives, that recommended minimum actually becomes 7 physical hard drives when using a RAID 0.

• 7. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

You should know that I am not a favorite of raid0, but we have to accept that not everybody has the willingness and/or means to invest in a dedicated raid controller for parity raids.

Just so long as they know that by using a raid0, they multiply the risk of COMPLETE data loss by the number of disks in the (r)aid0. That is no problem IF they have a decent backup policy and live by it, but all too often that is where problems arise. Just the other day I got benchmark results from someone, who could not submit the correct data for his configuration, because he was using an 8 disk (r)aid0 and the form only allowed for maximum 6 disks. We have assumed nobody in his right mind would dare to use more than 6 disks in a (r)aid0 on a production platform and that is where the benchmark is aimed at. Luckily he posted this omission in our form in the comments field, so we could include accurate data. But it is beyond doubt that using (r)aid0 is inviting disaster to strike and the more disks you use in that (r)aid0 array, the faster it will hit you. The example I gave you is where I think benchmark results got the better of common sense.

I would like to emphasize that the benchmark is not about getting Top-scores, but to show where the strength's and weaknesses are for a PRODUCTION machine, that is stable, reliable and trustworthy.

Better have a lower score with improved stability and reliability, than a high score with occasional BSOD's or hangs. Take my own score as an example. I did not go beyond 3.7 GHz overclocking, because of stability problems with the C1 stepping. I am pretty sure I could achieve a better score but only at the cost of stability and that is no option for me.

• 8. Re: AVCHD Editing -New System
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

not everybody has the willingness and/or means to invest in a dedicated raid controller for parity raids.

Which is why you need the extra backup drives if you want to go the RAID 0 route.

Personally, for AVCHD, I still think a single drive is plenty fast enough.  You still need the backup, but it's one less drive you have to buy (per array), and one less drive that might go bad and crash your data.