4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2011 10:11 AM by Kardii

Blurring paint strokes

Kardii

Hi there,

does anyone know of any way to blur a paint stroke in AE CS5? I have cloned a few things on some footage and I would like to soften the edge a bit on certain areas of the paint strokes. I'm use to combustion where you could achieve this really easy by changing your brush to a blur brush and just painting it. Being an adobe product I assume there is some solution for this? It would also be nice to have access to other effects such as smudge and what not.

thanks in advanced,

Kardii

• 1. Re: Blurring paint strokes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There is no "other effects" for brush strokes. AE's brush is really just limited to cloning, painting and Rotobrush. Everything else must be done using per-layer effects. In your case you could simply use a soft brush or use a duplicate of your paint stuff, then blur it and apply it as a track matte to the actual clone brush strokes.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Blurring paint strokes
            Kardii Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried using the softest brush possible but since I'm painting with such a small brush size it still comes off as a fairly hard edge. In regards to the duplicating/track matte solution, it seems like a lot of extra work just so I can add a little blur to some of the edges. I usually comp around 50 shots or so a week and doing these little work arounds adds up, I guess I have to tough it out. Most things AE seems to do really well, theres just the odd instance like this where it drives me crazy.

Kardii

• 3. Re: Blurring paint strokes
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's some functionality you'd like to see added? Go here! The more they get, the more likely they'll be to implement it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Blurring paint strokes
                Kardii Level 1

Ahh perfect! thanks for the link!