4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 3:28 AM by patrickhagot

import Avid rushes into Premiere pro 5.5

patrickhagot Level 1

Dear All,

An editor digitized 16 tapes on Avid Media Composer and we need to work this project on Premiere Pro 5.5. I have tried to import MXF files and it works but without audio.

My questions are:

Is it safe to import (drag/drop)? Will i have some issues in the futur if the project is big?? or during the export??

How can i import the audio files??

Thank you very much.

And really thanks Adobe!

• 1. Re: import Avid rushes into Premiere pro 5.5
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Probably not much help but, the only thing I can think of is to recapture using Premiere Pro.

• 2. Re: import Avid rushes into Premiere pro 5.5
            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

The trouble is that Avid creates OPAtom style MXF files (ie the video & audio essences are stored in separate MXF files, as opposed to OP1a (such as typical Sony XDCAMHD files)).  So if you import each file, you could get the constituent pieces (ie each audio/video essence as a separate clip), but then you'd be stuck trying to group the clips together manually.

You *might* be able to get the files to import correctly if you export an AAF from Avid & bring that in - with any luck, the individual media files should be correctly referenced in the clip objects.  Give that a try...

Wil

• 3. Re: import Avid rushes into Premiere pro 5.5
              patrickhagot Level 1

Thank you very much Will!

I will give it a try tomorow morning (Lebanon beyrouth time) will keep you informed.

But if i'm not wrong: As the digitize was done on an external and as im exporting AAF from Avid: do i have to take the external to Adobe premiere pro system??

• 4. Re: import Avid rushes into Premiere pro 5.5
                patrickhagot Level 1

Hello Will,

Thank you very much for your advices it worked perfectly but have to be careful about the settings when exporting AAF by default its export without the original rushes so have to change some settings.

Anyway can you inform me please if in the future, when i export for example, will i be facing some issues or its working perfectly?? because i have to edit to big project.

Thank you very Much.