4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 4:27 AM by Merrie22

InDesign CS5 crashes when variables copied: has this been fixed in CS5.5?

Merrie22 Level 1

Can anyone let me know if this bug has been fixed? I haven't had a reason for upgrading but if this is fixed then there is a reason! I am using variables all the time now, and removing variables then replacing them after I have copied the text they are in is really timewasting.

Thanks

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when variables copied: has this been fixed in CS5.5?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Was this a documented bug, or just some problem you have been experiencing that you've labeled a bug? Did you post about it here before? I don't recall seeing anythig about this previously, and I'm not quite sure what behavior of the program you are saying is wrong.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when variables copied: has this been fixed in CS5.5?
            Merrie22 Level 1

Hi Peter

There are several threads on this problem, including:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3939921#3939921

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3984662#3984662

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3364056#3364056

Apparently the problem has been occurring since INDD CS4 but since I've only been using variables for a couple of months I would not know that.

If you do have INDD CS5.5 can you please:

1. create a variable

2. put it into some text

3. copy the text

4a. try pasting it into another part of the same document

4b. try pasting it into an external document, for example an Excel file.

Hopefully it won't crash and you will be able to tell me whether it is fixed or not!

Many thanks

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when variables copied: has this been fixed in CS5.5?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, I just made a new blank file in CS5.5, and defined a custom text variable.

The second link seems not to be related, but the third one was pretty clear.

To test I made a text frame and filled with placeholder text, then inserted the varible in a random position. I tried both copy and cut and I can paste to another location in the same file, paste as a varible into a new ID file (it brings the defintion with it) and paste as plain text into Notepad Word 2000 and Excel 2000 (apparently I hate the 2010 versions so much I didn't install them when I upgraded the hardware a few months ago).

I'm on Windows 7, so I can't swear things will work for you (can't swear they will even if you are also running win7), but the indications are that the functionality is here without crashing. You might want to make a backup image of your system in it's current state (so in case things don't work out you can get back easily) and install the trial for CS5.5.

That said, I figured I ought to verify that there was a problem in CS5, and at least for me there is not. I am able to repeat the above test without any issues in version 7.0.4 and in CS4, version 6.0.5, as well so Im more inclined to think there is either some Mac-specific issue (I think the other users were on Mac, and you haven't said) or there is some other problem that is configuration-specific, probably a software conflict of some sort, on your system that is affecting you and that this is not really a bug.

If you post a sample file somewhere that you create that crashes and put a link here, I'll take a look at it and see if it also crashes here.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 crashes when variables copied: has this been fixed in CS5.5?
                Merrie22 Level 1

Hi Peter

Thanks for testing this, but I am on a Mac (should have mentioned it earlier - I tend to forget that PCs still exist!).

Is there anyone using a Mac on the list who can help out with testing this?

Many thanks