2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 12:48 PM by trevorbutler

FlexUnit CI - Flash Player linux installation

trevorbutler Level 1

I am now attempting to do some CI testing with the FlexUnit Ant task on the Linux platform, specifically RHEL 6 (x64). I am finding the installation of the Linux debug stand-alone player not as straight-forward as I had hoped. I finally found using google that additional packages are required: 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15380.html

http://install-manual.blogspot.com/2011/01/run-linux-flash-player-projector-in.html

That is fine (even though the blog post lists a different set of packages than Adobe does).   I am wondering about the "bitness" of the sa linux player package:  is it 32-bit or 64 bit?  I am wondering if I should be installing 32 bit versions of the dependent packages, or using the 64 bit ones that I presume the package manager is going to find. 

Also, a colleague told me that he thought the Flash player was 32 bit and that it had to be used in conjunction with 32 bit Java on Linux. Could anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

Trevor

• 1. Re: FlexUnit CI - Flash Player linux installation
          trevorbutler Level 1

I just found this post in the "More Like This" column to the right.  Strange that my search of the forum did not show that thread earlier.  Anyway, good Mr. Legros gives some advice that I found helpful: the stand-alone flash player is only available in a 32-bit version. But it can be made to work on a 64-bit Linux server.  I just got it working this morning. Both 64-bit and also some 32-bit dependencies must be installed. 

On a 64-bit OS like RHEL 6, simply using "yum install <package>" will install the 64-bit version of the package.  e.g.

yum install libcurl

To get the 32-bit version, use:

yum install libcurl.i686

I grabbed the latest 10.3 Linux projector sa player from the Adobe site, version 10.3.183.11.

On RHEL 6, here is the list of packages I installed per the Adobe Linux readme (note some were already installed and did not need to be updated). All of these are x64:

libdl.so.2

libpthread.so.0

libX11.so.6

libXext.so.6

libXt.so.6

* libfreetype.so.6    This was listed, but due to a dependency problem, I did not install

libfontconfig.so.1

libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

libgobject-2.0.so.0

libglib-2.0.so.0

libm.so.6

libc.so.6

libnss3

cURL

Then I checked this helpful blog post and installed the following additional modules (32-bit):

libcurl.i686

libcurl-devel.i686

There were more modules listed, but I only installed these... (the less changes to a system, the better).

Ok, at this point, I could run the "flashplayerdebug" executable and launch the GUI window, but I was seeing this warning in the console: (flashplayerdebugger:17237): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks". To get rid of this, I also installed:

gtk2-engines.i686

After all the above the player opens fine with no warnings, though I have not ran any SWFs yet.  When I close the GUI window, however, I do see a warning and a critical error:

(flashplayerdebugger:19650): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance with invalid (NULL) class pointer

(flashplayerdebugger:19650): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handlers_disconnect_matched: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

This seems to be a bug in the player itself.  I just hope it does not cause me any issues.

I hope this is helpful to someone else.  I know it will be helpful to me the next time I have to install the player on Linux!

Regards,

Trevor

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FlexUnit CI - Flash Player linux installation
            trevorbutler Level 1

Another update - I now have CI running using the headless mode in Linux, RHEL 6.1 x64.

I saw some runtime warnings and added the following packages to the install dependecies list:

libcanberra-gtk-module.so

libpk-gtk-module.so

I also was seeing the following failure launching vncserver at first:

:

Attempting start on :99 ...
            Executing 'vncserver' with arguments:
            ':99'
            The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
            not part of the command.
            You will require a password to access your desktops.
            getpassword error: Invalid argument
            Password:
            Cannot start xnvc on :99, cycling ...

vncserver was prompting for a password.  I ran the command "vncserver :99" manually from the command line, entered a password, and it created a profile of some sort.  After this, I saw that I could run vncserver without being prompted for the password. 

I started up my CI engine again, and everything just ran perfectly!  Thanks for the hard work on this, guys!

Trevor

1 person found this helpful