7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 12:13 PM by John Hawkinson

Problems exporting updated PDFs

jae00492

I am using Windows 7, inDesign CS5.5, version 7.5. I create, save, and export layouts to PDFs and then send them to proofing. Then I make revisions to my .indd file and save. The problem is when I try to export. Every time I try to export to rewrite the inital PDF I made, I get an error telling me that I "Cannot save to file (file name) because it is already open." but it is not open. It is saying this with EVERY file I make now and is getting frustrating because now I have to create a unique name every time. If I delete the file from the server (say its named myfilename.pdf), and try to export with that file name, it says I do not have permission... what is going on? This is starting to affect others in my workflow too and we need to answer, quick. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Problems exporting updated PDFs
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like some sort of network issue, probably permissions, but I'm not a network expert, and you haven't given us much to go on.

• 2. Re: Problems exporting updated PDFs
            John Hawkinson Level 5

I believe some people have had problems like this when Mail.app is open. Try closing it.

• 3. Re: Problems exporting updated PDFs
              bag13

I have been having the same issue, only on a Mac running Snow Leopard with InDesign CS5.5. This indeed seems to be a use issue with Mail if you had previously attached that PDF to an email - this seems to count as an "in use or open" document becuase it is still linked up with Mail. I thought before that it must have been a permissions issue, but it is not. You must quit Mail to break the link. You can then re-open Mail and be able to save over the file.

On Windows, if you are not using Mail, I know having the file selected counts as "in use" or "open". So you can try deselecting the file or purhapes closing another mailing program that you have used to email the file.

• 4. Re: Problems exporting updated PDFs
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Sigh. Clearly the original poster isn't using Mail.app, since he or she is using Windows. Whoops, not sure how I missed that, thanks for pointing it out, bag13.

I guess the quick advise is to try closing all other applications to make sure none has it still open, and yes, make sure it is not aselected file in the Windows Explorer, but I thought that problem was unique to the Mac and somehow related to QuickLook.

• 5. Re: Problems exporting updated PDFs
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I still think it's a network problem -- I've never seen anything like it except when I have the PDF actually open, but I don't store files on a server. Does it matter how long you wait between closing the file and trying to re-export?

• 6. Re: Problems exporting updated PDFs
                    Alchemedia4 Level 1

I'm using InDesign for Mac, CS4 edition and I was having the same problem. The recommendation of closing the Mail program eliminated the problem. Based upon that, it appears that the process of attaching the file to an email creates some type of link - even though the email is long gone - that the software reads as being open and, therefore, won't allow changes or updates to it.

I suspect something similar is happening with the Windows version. Have you recently sent the file as an attachment via email to someone, and still have the mail program open? If so, the root of the problem is probably there.

Now, clearly this is some type of minor bug that exists and has existed for a while (I'm on CS4, the original poster is on CS5.5). It would be nice if Adobe would move this up the priorit list (just a little) and make it go away. It's frustrating to have to close my email app just to update a file that I may or may not be sending out again. I'm just sayin'...

Otherwise, I'm an Adobe and Apple fanatic!

• 7. Re: Problems exporting updated PDFs
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Now, clearly this is some type of minor bug that exists and has existed for a while (I'm on CS4, the original poster is on CS5.5). It would be nice if Adobe would move this up the priorit list (just a little) and make it go away. It's frustrating to have to close my email app just to update a file that I may or may not be sending out again. I'm just sayin'...

I'm pretty sure this is out of Adobe's hands and the bug is in Mail.app... I suppose it's plausible that Adobe could find some way to work around it but I think feedback is better directed at Apple on this one.