5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 9:03 PM by dwarrenk

6 monitors?

dwarrenk Level 1

I want to take advantage of the Mercury render engine in CS 5.5. I currently run a Jaton Radeon HD 3450 Video PX3-9-Quad (driving 4 monitors) in the PClex16 slot on my 'ASUS P6TD Deluxe x58 1366 R' motherboard. I have two more open slots that are for PCIe 2.0 x16. Could I place a 'PNY VCQ2000D-PB Quadro 2000D 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card' in one of the Pcle 2.0x16 slots to take advantage of the mercury render engine... and also keep the Radeon card driving 4 monitors. The new PNY card (on the Adobe approved list – Quatro 2000D) would drive an additional two monitors (total of 6 monitors). Would this work?  (I need lots of real estate.....) Editing in HD is painfully slow.....

Additional info of my edit system: 24 GB memory, Win 7 64 bit, Raid 0 video storage, 5 internal SATA 300 hard drives (3 TB), Black Magic Multi-Bridge Pro unit, Intel i7 950 3.07 GHz processor.

David Kelley

• 1. Re: 6 monitors?
          Darren Kelly

I would think you are looking for trouble mixing video card manufacturers.

For the price of the 2000D, I would think you gould get a couple of GTX570's.

I run two cards, a GTX570 and a GT210, which I feed only one monitor to look at what I am doing full screen.

Hope this helps

D

• 2. Re: 6 monitors?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I think I read that hardware acceleration only works when the primary monitor is connected to the nVidia card.

• 3. Re: 6 monitors?
              dwarrenk Level 1

Any comments from Adobe?

• 4. Re: 6 monitors?
                Darren Kelly Level 1

No, the nice folks at Adobe didn't address this post publically or privately.

I can say that my system with 2 video cards and 3 monitors have been working well now. The two monitors I am using for the GUI are connected to the 570, which the monitor out is connected to the GT 210

There is a black level shift, but I just want to see in full view what the finished product will look like. I own a Decklink intensity, but it is in storage about 3,000 miles away - don't ask!

D

• 5. Re: 6 monitors?
                  dwarrenk Level 1

Well...here is what happened. I installed the Nvidia GTX570 card in PCI express x16 slot.... and the ATI Radeon HD 3450 card in an empty PCI express 2.0x16 slot... downloaded all the latest drivers, set up 6 monitors the NVidia driving the main & second monitor, the ATI driving the other 4.... results - the blue screen of death every 3-4 minutes, even when the computer was just setting idle. So I have now pulled the ATI card and ordered another GTX570 card. This will limit me to 4 monitors (unless I get the Matrox Dualhead2go unit,... not cheap). Another problem was the Mercury engine defaulted to software only mode, even though the GTX570 card was installed. So... I guess mixing video card manufacturers is not a good idea... but boy, those six 20" monitors sure gave a lot of real estate!!!