9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2011 1:10 PM by Vit Novak

ACR 6.6 new cameras

Daniel_Ku Level 1

Very cool that a new version is available.
      There were several new cameras, including one quite old NX5.
      Of course it was possible to convert SRW to DNG manually, changing the data in the exif. Unfortunately it's not working for a new model of Samsung NX200.
      Of course I understand that the camera just goes on sale, but at the same time there is the support for the new Nikons 1.

When we can expect the support for the NX200?

RAW files from NX200 are enormous, which does not facilitate their storage.

Not to mention working in a different program than the LR

• 1. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only people who know the answer to that question are not allowed to disclose that information.  Support for that camera will be included when it's ready.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
            Daniel_Ku Level 1

My guess is that it is. It remains to wait.

• 3. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
              deejjjaaaa Level 2

When we can expect the support for the NX200?

very soon = http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/11/08/nx200studiocompareupdate

publicly stated "...UPDATE: Following the provision of Beta raw support from Adobe, we've updated our previously published studio samples from the Samsung NX200 to include raw files..."

• 4. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
                Daniel_1977 Level 1

I hope

• 5. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Daniel_Ku wrote:

RAW files from NX200
                  are enormous, which does not facilitate their storage.

I'm trying to determine what you mean by this statement...

Are you saying you prefer to shoot in raw mode, but then immediately would like to convert your files to JPEG or some other less space-intensive format?

That sounds basically flawed to me...  One of the most attractive aspects of raw shooting is that all the data is there, so that if you should want to process it differently, or maybe a newer, better raw conversion technique comes out, you can do it again.

And on a second note, gargantuan amounts of computer storage can be pretty cheap nowadays...  How many "enormous" NX200 raw files would it take to fill up a 2 terabyte Western Digital MyBook external drive, for example, which costs less than $100.  Keep in mind 2 terabytes is 2 million megabytes.

-Noel

• 6. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
                    Daniel_1977 Level 1

I shoot only in RAW.

Samsung RAW Converter is obviously supports the files from the NX200.

But I prefer to work in Lightroom, which so far does not support SRW with NX200.
                    It remains to me and other users to wait.

Another way is to struggle in the SRC or do export to TIFF / JPG and work with those files in LR.

I have a spare hard drive, but I've camera about 3 weeks and about 1000 images * 45MB, so it is a lot of space

In fact, I mean convenience. DNG files are more versatile.
                    As I wrote, just still waiting for support

• 7. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
                      Noel Carboni Level 7

Thanks for the clarification.  45 MB is a bit large, but that's the way of all things digital today:  Bigger and bigger.  Better and better.    40,000+ such raw files would fit on a 2 TB disk, or about 2-1/2 years of shooting at your current rate.

I just never delete my out-of-camera images, whatever the size, and whatever else I might convert them to.

-Noel

• 8. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
                        Daniel_1977 Level 1

I also keep old ( all)  photos.

When I come back to them, I've always new ideas.

Daniel

• 9. Re: ACR 6.6 new cameras
                          Vit Novak Level 3

Noel Carboni wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  45 MB is a bit large, but that's the way of all things digital today:

Yeah ... especially if it is 14 bit data saved uncompressed in 16 bit, so 12.5 % of the file are binary zeros, like in this case ...  + 7-8 MB embedded jpeg

Converting it to dng would reduce it significantly, once Adobe dng converter support it

Worse than this was only some old Oylmpus cameras like E-1 I think (12 bit uncompressed data in 16 bit, so 25% of raw file was wasted)