8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 5:18 PM by SIcsempertyrannis

Adding Bleeds to Tables

SIcsempertyrannis Level 1

Can I get help with how I can add bleeds to my tables w/o changing the positions of my columns? For ex. If I set up a 3" wide table w/5 columns, the vertical columns are in the position that I want them to be in. If I add 1/8" bleed to my rows to the right and left, then the position of the columns change. I thought if I could position the table 1/8" to the left of the trim, to create my left hand bleed, and then add a 1/4" to the table width, and select "distribute columns equally", I could create my 1/8" bleed for the right hand side & reposition the columns to their origin, but that doesnt seem to work. Can someone straighten me out on this? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Add another row perhaps

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Just what do you mean by "bleed" on a table? I think most of us use the term to mean extending an image or colored background off the edge of a page, so I don't know how that would apply to a table. Are you saying the table is full-width on the page and has some sort of cell fill that needs to bleed (and I would guess some sort of alternating pattern so you can't put a colores block behind)?

If that's it, then Eugene's suggestion is good, or increase the widths of the left- and right-most columns and add inset to the cells in those columns to compensate. Center align the paragraph containing the table.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Screen shots really help in these situations.

• 4. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables
                wjnp2000 Level 2

Do you want bleed beyond to the margin or the page?

In both cases you can select the table and align by the way that you want, just select outside the table, I mean "behind" the table.

You can create a paragraph style to do this and create any rules, your table will distribute columns equally selectioning only the columns you want.

This only works to the right of the column, you want the left side you will have to compensate the other styles, increasing the margin, supposing that its right.

Wagner

• 5. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables

Yes, I totally agree, screen shots would be the way to go w/this question...wasnt sure if I knew how 2 do that last night. Here is what Im trying to do. I need all those columns to be the same width. Sure-I can do it easily at the eact trim size. But once I add the bleed to the right & left, they shift. I need to extend the colored bleed of the rows on the left and right in this case. So adding a row doesnt help me w/the left & right bleeds. I guess I can adjust the column lines manually, but I thought surely there was a way to do it mathematically.

Im sorry wjnp2000-I dont really understand what youre trying to explain. Thanks all.

sample.jpg

• 6. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables
                    M Blackburn Level 3

I don't see the problem with how you are adding the bleed. Obviously if you need extra width for the bleed you are going to have to change the width of your outside columns and adjust your insets accordingly.

On the other hand, Eugene's suggestion is reasonable -- especially if you want to be able to use the same table with and without bleed. Empty columns on either side just for the fills to give bleed can be added (and removed) without changing the internal five columns.

• 7. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables

Blackburn, the problem is that w/the bleed added the columns are no longer of equal width (as shown in my post). Can you explain to me how to add the empty columns on either side just for the fills to give bleed without changing the internal five columns as you stated? Because, honestly, Im pretty backward w/tables and I dont know how to accomplish this. If I create a 3" table w/5 columns and then I want to add columns for bleed. I do not know how to add a column to the left hand side for bleed. Only to the right. Can you or one of the other "Posters" advise? Thank-you.

• 8. Re: Adding Bleeds to Tables

Eureka! The lightbulb just turned on! I got it. Thought real hard about how I used to add cells in the "other program" and now I see how to do it in InDesign. Thank-you for steering me down the right road.