6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 8:00 AM by Steve Grisetti

Elements 10 upgrade will not play sound

Psychosis Media

Hi all

I loaded a mov file to edit in elements10. The picture is fine but i have no sound at all. I do see the audio wave in the audio area, so im a little confused why it will not play or rather i cannot hear sound. Ive cheacked my audio settings and they seem to be on and working. The file is a hd 24fps mov file from my T3i hddslr camera. On the camera and in windows the sound is working.

Its been about a year since i used cs4-5 premier for a videographer class. So i am familiar with the software sort of. I know people that have used elements for their indy films and not have issues like this. Any help would be great.

• 1. Re: Elements 10 upgrade will not play sound
          Psychosis Media Level 1

Correction..Its MVI files that are in the hardrive and camera but when i import it over to Elements10 it a mov file.

• 2. Re: Elements 10 upgrade will not play sound
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most likely it needs to be converted to a more traditional camcorder format.

MOVs can use any of hundreds of codecs. You need to ensure this file use a standard one.

The best way to do this is to convert using a program like Quicktime Pro, a $29 download from Apple.com.

For standard definition video, the file should be converted to a 720x480 anamorphic MOV using the DV codec.

For high def video, the file should be converted to a 1440x1080 anamorphic MPEG or M2T file.

• 3. Re: Elements 10 upgrade will not play sound

BTW, when you set up your Premiere Elements project, did you select the settings for DSRL 1080p24 video?

Then did you import the video from the camera using the Video Importer at Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD, Hard Disk Camcorder?

These are very important steps as they activate necessary components in the program.

It's also vital that you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements.

I'm not sure how you're getting an MVI file. If you're using the Video Importer, you should only see editable video files on your camera.

If these things aren't working, please give us more information like your operating system, processor speed, RAM, etc.

• 4. Re: Elements 10 upgrade will not play sound
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As a test, I would Import a known good WAV file, say one of the system's Sounds, and drag it to the Timeline. Do you hear the Audio from that WAV file?

For general Audio issues, and settings, this ARTICLE might be helpful.

When you Import any file with Audio, PrE will need a few moments to Conform the Audio. If this process is not allowed to complete, one can loose the Audio. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Conforming Audio.

Good luck, and please let us know how the test goes,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Elements 10 upgrade will not play sound
                  Psychosis Media Level 1

I forgott to tell you im using a PC with win7 64. Duel core AMD, 4760 graphics card...

4 gb ram..i still have 2 more slots to add more...

So i go to get media tab and slect files and folders, I do not pull directly from the camera. The camera i take it uses the mvi files.

On elements though when i import the files the file name is mvi_0198.mov  this is why i thought it was a mov file.

Ill try the seperate audio test to see if the audio works that way..thanks for the hel all ill keep you all posted.

• 6. Re: Elements 10 upgrade will not play sound

Please try what I've suggested. It should solve your problems.