2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 6:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Minimum specs for a graphics card.

Ted Smith Level 3

I just changed over my PE9 to an i7 2600 on a Gigabyte motherboard Z86 UD 3R with 8g ram . 64bit Windows7

The improvement is trully amazing compared with my old Core duo

I am using my 2 year old Radeon HD4350. It plays full HD AVCHD in full screen flawlessly in Windows Media Player.on my 1900x1200 monitor

Everything I shoot is in full HD 1900x1080i 25 frames

Preview is perfectly smooth when rendered. No crashes yet!

Preview of clip areas with red lines is mostly OK but a bit jerky at times. If I pause and restart preview it fixes the jerk

My question is would there be any improvement in previewing smoothness of unrendered material if I went to a faster graphics card?.

How does one tell if one needs a faster card?

• 1. Re: Minimum specs for a graphics card.
          nealeh Level 5

It's my understanding that PRE isn't much affected by the installed graphics card, other than in some earlier versions where a few additional 'GPU Effects' were made available.

To smooth the performance of red line areas press [Enter] and PRE will render them - providing a much smoother preview.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Minimum specs for a graphics card.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Neale. When using PrE, the biggest requirement for a video card will be the updated drivers. So long as ATI/AMD supports the card, and issues new drivers for it constantly, a newer, faster video card will not provide much of an improvement with the exception of the very few GPU Effects.

Now, with PrPro, as of CS 5, things are greatly different, in that with certain nVidia cards, much processing is handed off to the GPU through the Mercury Playback Engine (MPE) and the card's CUDA function. MPE has not made its way into PrE yet.

With most HD material, the biggest BFTB ("Bang For the Buck") is upgrading the CPU, such as you did. Next and in about a tie, will be RAM (with a 64-bit OS and 64-bit program) and additional HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt