13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 7:40 PM by Ted Smith

Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide

Ted Smith Level 3

I am editing my Sony fullHD video of my overseas trip and integrating many of the thousand Canon 12mpx pics taken by my wife at the same time I was shooting.

I have found that cropping to 16x9 and reducing the image resolution of each slide to exactly 1920x1080- gives perfect stills equal to the HD movie

Cropping them to 16x9 and reducing the resolution in Photoshop (4) is a laborious task.

I know this is an element forum but is there any way of setting up a macro or semi automated way of doing this easily as I am sure many video editors must have come across the same problem?

The most time consuming part is trying to crop a 3x4 inage to exactly 16x9 proportions as there does not seem to be a way of getting a different fixed cropping ratio and the minute you adjust either the height or width it changes the exact ratio.

• 1. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In Photoshop Elements, under the File menu, is a Process Multiple Files tool for doing a batch of files at once.

You can use it to resize your photos. However, I don't believe you can use it to automatically crop your videos.

My recommendation is to use this tool to resize your photos to 1920x1080. Then, before you bring the photo into Premiere Elements, go to Edit/Preferences and uncheck the option to Scale Stills to Frame Size.

When you then load the files into Premiere Elements and add them to the timeline, they will fill the screen with the tops and bottoms automatically trimmed off to conform the photos to 16:9.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's tip, this ARTICLE also discusses creating Actions in PS, or PSE, to batch process multiple Still Images to Scale them. The PS instructions are in the beginning, while the PSE instructions are down a bit, and thanks to Neale for putting those together.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
              GoodBoySteve

I've recently upgraded to PRE10 (from PRE8) and PRE10 seems to be able to resize and crop photos without the dramatic reduction in quality that used to occur in PRE8.  Am I fooling myself and should I continue to edit them in Photoshop before importing them into Premiere as I have been doing?

Steve

• 4. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The new Scaling algorithms in PrPro CS5 & 5.5 rely heavily on the MPE/CUDA GPU to achieve the better quality there. As PrE has not added either MPE, or CUDA support, I would say that you can still do much better with PS, or PSE. The changes to that Large Still Images article reflect the changes in PrPro only. To the very best of my knowledge, the Scaling algorithms in PrE are the same, as they have always been.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                  Ted Smith Level 3

A problem is that even though I asked my lovely wife to leave plenty of headroom on the stills for when I converted to 16x9 she often forgot so I have to crop more of the bottom than the top   It varies photo to photo and some stlll have to have varying amounts of "barn doors" at the sides.

So what I think I need is to first crop the photo to 16x9 and save it in a different folder.

Many will than all end up different pixel sizes but all will be 16x9 at this stage.

The problem is how can I crop with the crop lines always in a 16x9 aspect ratio?. Currently the width and height seem independent.

Next problem is, once cropped,  can I than change them in a batch all to the same pixels even though they are now all different pixel sizes?

• 6. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, Ted. I know of no way to do a batch resize/capture and still control what gets cropped.

But, if you use my method, you can work through your timeline and, wherever you need to adjust your "crop" just click on the image in the Monitor and drag it down a little into the position you want.

• 7. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

I often am faced with the same issues. Guess that it's form my advertising still background, but I normally shoot pretty tightly, and do most of my cropping in-camera, and then run into the same problems, when other Aspect Ratios are required, say for Video. Scaling is easily done with an Automate>To Batch, and a simple Action, BUT Cropping is something else, altogether. Perhaps it's that same advertising still work, but I treat each Image as unique. All Cropping is done by hand and by eye. Now, PS makes it easy to get pretty much what I need, as I can set the Width/Height for the Crop Tool, and then just drag it around, until I am totally satisfied.

Slowly, I have begun to leave a bit more room, as more and more of my stills are going to Video, but it does not come easy for me. I worked with one great art director, who, when presented with my "final" Polaroid, would always say, "Now, pull back just a little, and give me more room." This became a running joke with us.

I feel your pain, as Cropping 1000 images takes some time, but then you get to "handle" each Image, so that you can treat it with respect. Just tell your wife, "Now, pull back just a little bit, and give me more room... "

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                        nealeh Level 5

Ted Smith wrote:

The problem is how can I crop with the crop lines always in a 16x9 aspect ratio?. Currently the width and height seem independent.

Next problem is, once cropped,  can I than change them in a batch all to the same pixels even though they are now all different pixel sizes?

Assuming you are cropping in PhotoShop Elements, you solve both problems with the Crop Toolbar:

1.png

By entering Width and Height dimensions in the ratio 16:9 and in pixels:

1. The crop tool will only let you select a bounding box in the 16:9 ratio
                        2. If you use pixels for the crop tool (as I have done) the cropped image will be resized to those pixel counts.

If you have already cropped the photos in a variety of resolutions you can use the 'Export as New Files' in the Organizer to standardize the pixel counts.

2.png

For more details refer to my post in the article Bill referenced earlier:

Re: Large Still Images into PE - One Workflow

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                          GoodBoySteve Level 1

Thanks Bill, I actually ended up playing safe and using Photoshop to convert my stills into the right format for my 16:9 HD video project. I have the same problem of shooting stills tight giving me problems when cropping them to 16:9 format.  I've spent too much of my life shooting 35mm slides where what you shoot is what you get.  Hopefully the younger generation, bought up in a digital era, will naturally learn to pull back and leave room for later editing.

Thanks for your help (yet again).

Steve

• 10. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                            Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks to all.

I am using Photoshop Elements 4

I found that using the crop command at the top of the screen instead of the icon reveals the crop properties that allows me to set everything in one go.

After entering 16 wide & 9 high, then manipulating the crop lines over the part of the picture you want to use is a breeze this way and in a fixed ratio!

By entering 120 in Pixels per cm automatically sets the final picture resolution exactly to 1920x1080     (16 x 120 = 1920)

Then save as JPG filename preceeded by an extra letter so you can identify it easily

Makes it incredibly simpler!

There is aparently a plug in that lets you automate most of this even further - I am investigating this (Actions)

• 11. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                              schuel2 Level 1

Steve,

What about the long standing recommendation to reduce images to 1000X750 pixels?

• 12. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The 1000 x 750 rec. was made, when SD ruled, prior to the popular advent of HD, and was chosen to give a bit of "wiggle room," should one need to do a little bit of Panning on a Zoomed Out Image.

For HD, the sizes go up, depending on the Frame Size of the HD Project. It just depends on one's Project.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Quick way of cropping and reducing the resolution of a slide
                                  Ted Smith Level 3

It was the using of the wriggle room that often destroyed the quality of the final product with DVDs.

But then when you viewed it on a low res SD DVD player (or worse on a CRT TV) the final resolution wqas so bad you could hardly see the wriggle degradation.

You could never match original shooting at the same res as the final product (given the same quality camera & lens etc)

However with full 1920 HD on a good quality new LCD screen and hi quality Blue Ray player, the reduction in quality due to unmatched resizing becomes very evident

Also pre-cropping and having the imported still at exactly the project specs means you can have as many as you like without affecting editing speed and you don't even have to render them to see a smooth dissolve during preview. Immediately you wriggle them the quality dives (in PE9 at least).