4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2011 7:11 AM by winterm

applying paragraph styles

winterm Level 4

hi all,

playing around with some very simple script:

mySel = app.selection[0];

mySel.paragraphs[0].insertionPoints[0].paragraphs[0].appliedParagraphStyle = "myPStyle1";
      mySel.paragraphs[0].insertionPoints[-1].paragraphs[0].appliedParagraphStyle = "myPStyle2";
      mySel.paragraphs[0].insertionPoints[-2].paragraphs[0].appliedParagraphStyle = "myPStyle3";

script applies paragraph style myPStyle1 to paragraph with text cursor inserted, then myPStyle2 to next paragraph, and then... I'm stuck here.

Line 3 applies myPStyle3 to the first paragraph again, instead of expected next (3rd) one...

I thought I can expand the sequence as far as I need, but I can not?

I feel I don't catch something very basic here...

any tip?

or another source, where such silly questions are answered?

thank you!

• 1. Re: applying paragraph styles
          John Hawkinson Level 5

This is not the correct approach. It only works by accident.

mysel.paragraphs[0].insertionPoints are all the insertion points in the current paragraph. If there are 100 characters, then there are 101 insertPoints (on each side of each character). insertionPoint[0] is to the left of the first characer, [1] is to the right of the first character, [2] is to the right of the 2nd character, etc., up to [101] to the right of the last character.

insertionPoints[-1] refers to the last insertionPoint, [101], which is actually after the paragraph, per se, so formats the next paragraph.

insertionPoints[-2] refers to the 2nd-to-last insertionPoint, [100], which is the the left of the last character.

I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this is. Perhaps:

mySel=app.selection[0];
          p = mySel.paragraphs[0]; p.appliedParagraphStyle="myPstyle1";
          p = p.insertionPoints[-1].paragraphs[0]; p.appliedParagraphStyle="myPstyle2";
          p = p.insertionPoints[-1].paragraphs[0]; p.appliedParagraphStyle="myPstyle3";

I suppose the exact method depends on what you're trying to do.

• 2. Re: applying paragraph styles
            winterm Level 4

THANK YOU, John!

That's exactly what I needed!

Especially thank you for clear explanation of InsertionPoints - now I realize I had no idea how it really works... couldn't find this nowhere on the net...

• 4. Re: applying paragraph styles
              winterm Level 4

yeah, I know your impressive source, but it is for those one step beyond... I still must discover the very basics...