5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2011 11:13 AM by M Blackburn

Change left-tabs to right-tabs without too much hassle?

JoJo Jenkins Level 1

I would like to change a bunch of tabs in a documented from left-justified tabs to right-justified tabs, in as few steps as possible. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Change left-tabs to right-tabs without too much hassle?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Presumably you didn't use a paragraph style? Next time that's the way to go.

Select the paragraphs, open the tabs window, and change the tab style. What's the problem?

Perhaps if you give us more details we could be more specific. Perhaps a script is in your future.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Change left-tabs to right-tabs without too much hassle?
            JoJo Jenkins Level 1

Yes-- let me start from scratch. Sorry. I should have started with this.

I have to lay out a financial chart. It might be easiest to use tables, but I am importing text from Excel and I've found that importing it as a text rather than a table is actually the easiest way to go. When I import my financial data and paste it as text into InDesign, I end up with something like this:

test.png

This is perfect, except for one thing. The middle column should align to the right. That is, the number $308,416 should line up under the number $1,230,595 in the correct right justification that you might expect to see in numbers and accounting.

If I don't want to use a table, what's my best approach?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Change left-tabs to right-tabs without too much hassle?
              JoJo Jenkins Level 1

I figured it out. Select all of the text in question. Open up the tabs ruler (tabs dialogue box). Click on the icon of the right-justified tab. Then place the right-justified tab directly on top of the tab in question (in my example above, it would be the second tab).  The left-tab turns into a right-tab and all the text responds. Now nudge the tab as desired to set it in the right place.

• 4. Re: Change left-tabs to right-tabs without too much hassle?
                Jay Chevako Level 3

Using styles would be the way to go, then you would only have to change it once or a most a few times.

To fix the text you have shown, select it all with the text tool and change the 2nd tab, Watch what happens on your word wrap on "Accounts receivable from related parties" to make sure your tab hasn't changed your indent.

If the information is on solid block, you could do it with one change, but if it is broken up by text that would be messed up by a tab change you will have to break it up into sections.

Jay

Too slow on the post

• 5. Re: Change left-tabs to right-tabs without too much hassle?
                  M Blackburn Level 3

For what it's worth. Technically tabs are FLUSH right or left, not justified. For something to be justified it requires both a left AND a right margin and must be flush to both left and right margins. (That's what justified means.)

Traditional typesetters, the kind that existed over a quarter of a century ago, had such tabs because their tabs specified a width as well as a start point ; modern layout programs such as InDesign do not have such tabs because they model themselves after typewriter tabs (or they modeled themselves after Word processors which modeled themselves after typewriter tabs) which are simply points measured from the left margin.

Had InDesign styled itself after tradiional typesetting we likely wouldn't need the brand new and long awaited features span columns and split columns.