10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 9:06 AM by b2martin_a

ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem

b2martin_a Level 2

I installed ACR 6.6 Release Candidate in Photoshop CS5 on a Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit computer, but it does not give the same results I got with ACR 6.5 and the same Camera Profile for a Nikon NEF file (D700).  I would like to remove ACR 6.6 Release Candidate and return to ACR 6.5.  Doen anyone know how to do this?  When I try to install ACR 6.5 again the install fails. 

• 1. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
          b2martin_a Level 2

I have discovered if I change the default value of black to 9 (instead of 5) for ACR 6.6 I then get agreement with images processed with ACR 6.5 using the same  version 2 camera profile for both conversions (D700 image).

I am using a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit computer. 

• 2. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
            b2martin_a Level 2

I would still like to remove ACR 6.6 Release Candidate and return to ACR 6.5, but don't know how to do this (Windows 7 computer).  I guess I could uninstall Photoshop CS5 and reinstall, but think there must be an easier approach.  Anyone have any inputs on how to do this?

• 3. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
              b2martin_a Level 2

Found the file location and I am now back to ACR 6.5.

• 4. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
                Noel Carboni Level 7

Out of curiosity, was the problem with the blacks that you noted the only issue you had with 6.6?

Eric Chan recently mentioned "logic changes in the renderer" for 6.6.  I'm just wondering out loud whether the difference you saw could be because of profile differences or logic differences.  Not having downloaded the 6.6 update myself yet (and not having Nikon gear) I'm not familiar with all what it provides - just curious.

-Noel

• 5. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
                  b2martin_a Level 2

The problem appears to be due to the black level.  With ACR 6.6 I had to change black to 9 instead of the 5 default value to get the same result I get with the Camera Portrait v2 profile in ACR 6.5.  I ran this test to see if I got the same results using the Camera Portrait v2 profile on a D700 file using both ACR6.5 and ACR6.6 to convert the file.  This is not a profile issue, but an ACR 6.6 vs ACR 6.5 issue. 

I did not want to contiune processing NEF files with ACR 6.6 with this issue, so I changed back to ACR 6.5.

• 6. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
                    Vit Novak Level 3

Check the v3 profiles thread. It was medium-contrast vs linear tone curve issue, as I shown with exiftool utility. Blacks = 5 is correct default value. However, D700 v4 profile isn't precise enough in shadows

• 7. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
                      76Dave76

Could you please let me know how you changed from 6.6 to 6.5, I'm not sure how to roll it back. I've problems with 6.6, images in RAW when imported to Photoshop are not the same.

I think the darks are wrong in 6.6.

Cheers

Dave

• 8. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
                        b2martin_a Level 2

Dave, see the Post from jimsup33 on "How Do I Roll Back ACR 6.6 to 6.5?".  This was for Windows 7 64 bit operating system. 

• 9. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
                          76Dave76 Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I found the jimsup33 post & I followed the instructions, extracting the old files from 6.5. I then replaced the 2  6.6 files in the plug-in locations.  Unfortunately it didn't work, so I'm back to the drawing board.

I did notice that there is a space between Camera & Raw in the file name for 6.6,      i.e. Camera Raw.8bi  & not CameraRaw.8bi,   & presumed it was the same for 6.5. Can you please confim that your plugin file name is in this syntax?

My problem is that camera raw is not translating into Photoshop, it comes out lighter, the darks are not correct. I use a D700 so presume that Adobe have got a glitch in their software, I never had a problem with 6.5.  I see that the 6.6 contains an update for D700, so it looks like an Adobe cock up?

I'll have another go at the procedure, if no success, then maybe try a re-install of Photoshop, if that doesn't work I'll have to try a system re-install.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

• 10. Re: ACR 6.6 Release Candidate Problem
                            b2martin_a Level 2

The file name is Camera Raw.8bi, sorry about the incorrect name.  There are two locations for this file - one in the "Program Files" path and the other in the "Program Files(x86)" path and even though the files have the same name in both locations (Camera Raw.8bi), they are not the same file.  The larger file goes in the "Program Files" path.  Instructions in the post I referenced show where to get each Camera Raw file.