1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2011 5:52 AM by [Jongware]

Text Variables - Multiple Alphabetized Text sections per page, with Data Merge?

rstewartist

Hello.

I'm creating a multi-page directory document similar to a yearbook. I've understood data merge enough to apply it in placing sections of images and matching data from a spreadsheet.

BUT specifically, I would like to know how I can add a header section to every page, that corresponds with the last names of the people featured on that page  (i.e., pages 70 & 71 will have "Ma--Mi" and "Mi--Mo" ---- last names Marsh through Millinger, and Milton through Morgan).

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

• 1. Re: Text Variables - Multiple Alphabetized Text sections per page, with Data Merge?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Piece of cake, doesn't require a script either.

1. Define a character style that does nothing and name it "mark"

2. Define two text variables of type "Running Header (Character Style)". Name one "first name"; set its character style to "mark" and Use to "First on Page". Name the other "last name", also set it to "mark" but set the use to "Last on Page".

3. Insert these variables as "first name"-"last name" in a text frame on your master pages.

4. Add a nested style to the paragraph style used for the name list; set the Nested Style to apply the "mark" character style "through 2 characters".

That's really all there is to it.