7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 7:05 AM by Peter Spier

Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880

Angel2360 Level 1

When printing one color CD cover to an Epson 3880 from inDesign CS5, it fills and exceeds a 8.5" by 11" page. This same procedure has worked excellently for quite some time and now doesn't. I reset Preferences and this didn't work. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Check the scaling in boththe ID print dialog and the printer driver setup.

• 2. Re: Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880
            Angel2360 Level 1

I am not quite sure what the correct scaling settings should be. I had it at 100% width by 100% height, trying it with both Constrain Proportions both on and off. I also tried it with Page Position both centered and upper left. It still prints huge and off the page.

I also made a new document and this same thing happened. A side note, I tested the printer with Aperature, no issues.

• 3. Re: Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880

What size is the document according to Document Setup? Have you used the page tool to change the size of a page?

100% would be the correct scale in the print dialog if the document size is correct, so there's a pretty good chance the scaling is happening in the driver if you are printing directly from ID. Is the correct page size listed?

• 4. Re: Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880
                Angel2360 Level 1

I really appreciate your efforts at helping me, thank you. The document set-up is 8.5" by 11" (portrait). I have simply created a CD case label on the page using a box so I can print two-up, I have not re-scaled the page to my knowledge.

The correct paper size is noted in the print driver, you have several choices under the Epson 3880 menu including borderless or retain size - I have tried both without success. Just to make sure, I have restarted my computer, opened inDesign and then created a fresh new document and it happens again. I also re-set the Preferences again (restarted te computer) just to make sure it took.

I have printed a picture using Aperture and PhotoShop with great results, this problems seems to be isolated to inDesign.

• 5. Re: Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880

So this sounds like a borderless printer...

A lot of problems with printing on Epson borderless printers have been amenable to using the print driver to set the page size, then setting the page in the ID print dialog to "Defined by Driver."

• 6. Re: Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880
                    Angel2360 Level 1

Not sure why I didn't think of this before? I exported the document I created in inDesign as a pdf. I then printed straight from Acrobat, the pdf on my Epson 3880 and it came out fine. I think this totally isolates the problem to inDesign. Any thoughts on the corruption source and/or remedies?

• 7. Re: Printing problems inDesign CS5 to an Epson 3880

See my post above. Many Epson printer drivers seem to have some sort of incompatibility with ID (as do many HP printers). For Epson may of the problems seem to be cleared by setting hte page parameters in the driver, but for any issue like this exporting to PDF and printing from Acrobat is a good solution. I actually export most files to PDF to print evne though my printer is quite happy with ID -- the PDFs process faster.