28 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 3:00 AM by ionut.m

Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln

ionut.m

Indesign CS 5.5  version 7.5.2

font manager.rpln - file version 7.5.2.318, product version 7.5.2 - checksum  md5 a06eb67598ab75fb0bd4520cdf37ebf7

-------

Error signature

AppName: indesign.exe     AppVer: 7.5.2.318     Mod Name: font manager.rpln

ModVer: 7.5.2.318     Offset: 000099f1

-------

link: http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6335/indddd.png

This error occurs apparently at a random time. Still, I noticed that is occurs more ofter when using 'Balance Columns' from 'Text Frame Options' and the 'Preview' box is checked.

Any suggestions to fix it?

• 1. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
          John Hawkinson Level 5

You're running XP, so a more detailed crash log is available.

That's important, because the info you quote above isn't sufficient to tell very much.

Follow the instructions at http://indesignsecrets.com/guide-to-interpreting-indesign-crash-reports.php and post the "Stack Back Trace" section here.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
            ionut.m Level 1

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5.5\CoolType.dll -

WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.

ChildEBP RetAddr  Args to Child

0012c588 010969c3 0012c608 0012c5b8 00000007 FONT MANAGER+0x99f1

0012c634 0109826f 00000000 0012cad8 0012c684 CoolType+0x1a69c3

0012cae8 00f9ad4d 19a3a5f4 000075f6 19df3aa0 CoolType+0x1a826f

0012cbd4 00f9b164 0012ce18 0012cfd4 00000001 CoolType!CTGetVersion+0x2cbc5

0012cc48 00f9b1e0 0012ce18 0012cfd4 00000001 CoolType!CTGetVersion+0x2cfdc

0012cdcc 0106d914 14a5a730 0012ce18 0012cfd4 CoolType!CTGetVersion+0x2d058

0012ce60 10069f18 14a5a730 100699e0 10069a00 CoolType!CTGetVersion+0xff78c

0012d044 1a464b00 1a464b4e 1a464b4e 0012d06c FONT MANAGER+0x9f18

0000039c 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x1a464b00

• 3. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
              John Hawkinson Level 5

OK, thanks.

It certainly looks to be font related! (I know, you'll say, "I could have told you that from the original error!", and it is true.).

Probably one of your fonts is corrupt.

Try removing all your non-system fonts and adding back in only the ones you need, to see if it fixes the problem. Presumably your document has a limited number of fonts, so the problem font is probably one of them.

Since the error is random, I understand this might not be easy...

• 4. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                ionut.m Level 1

1. I reinstalled Windows XP SP3 and i haven't change the Fonts folder, no extra font except from Microsoft Office 2010 and Adobe (most of fonts).

2. Used a free Font Manager - no problem apparently, installed ok.

3. Used a free registry cleaner and clean temporary files and registry files that could link to an inexistent font or something like that.

4. I can generate the problem easily like so: open a document, change the number of columns from a Text Frame, check the Balance Columns with the Preview box on, and if not the first time after few changes (number of columns, balance checked and unckeded) the problem occurs. It looks like it has something to do with Frame Text (problem occurs even I don't use balance columns, just using Text Frame).

5. I'll try to remove some fonts guessing and hopefuly...

• 5. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

4. I can generate the problem easily

Great, then you're set! Remove *ALL* non-system fonts. Confirm the problem is gone.

Add them back in by halves, checking each time time. You'll find the font in log-base-2 of the number of fonts. 1,000 fonts will take you ten halvings.

• 6. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                    ionut.m Level 1

Ok, I'm down to 234 installed fonts left. The problem still occurs, BUT later, after playing with Text Frame options, balance columns, number of columns and preview box checked. I can say it manifest itself LATER. Still I have the problem. Keep looking for the nasty font(s).

• 7. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Sorry, I can't tell. Are you saying that you removed all your fonts and the problem went away, then you added some back and you're not sure which of the 234 you added back are the problem?

Or are you saying you started with more than 234 and removed a lot of them, leaving only 234 left, and the problem still happens?

In the first case, you're set, just keep going, cutting in half.

In the second case, no, you're doing it wrong, you need to remove *everything* except the few fonts that come with the system that it depends on. That's the 40 or so fonts in /Systme/Library/Fonts.

Which one is it?

• 8. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                        ionut.m Level 1

I had more then 2000 fonts. Now I have 187 left (Had 234 few hours ago).

How I do it? I uninstall (with Nexus Font Manager) fonts signed by other vendor then Microsoft or Adobe, specialy handwriting fonts (I have a lot).

Playing with Indesign in Text Frame Options until the applications crashes.

Now is 22:23 hour (GMT +2)

Tested few minutes and is ok (much better then before) - still, I can't say the problem in gone.

I'll be back with more.

• 9. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

I had more then 2000 fonts. Now I have 187 left (Had 234 few hours ago).

Did you start with none of them and make sure that it works?

If you have 187 left and problem happens, remove 90 of them.

Try it.

Then either remove 45 or add back 45 of the ones you removed, depending on whether it worked.

Etc.

Etc.

• 10. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                            ionut.m Level 1

Down to 66 fonts instaled.

Available fonts in Indesign

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/240/idfonts.png

Most of my documents have a lot of text with Cambria Regular Font and were created in Indesign CS4.

1.When I open the document (created in CS4) that has Cambria Regular Font I can play with the Text Frame Options. After a short period of time it crashes Indesign.

still...

2.When I open the same document but I dont' have Cambria Regular Font installed, i can substitute it with other font. Then the problem looks like it's gone (not sure - still got to test some more - just testing with one Frame Text; the rest have missing Cambria Font in red).

3. I create a new document (Indesign CS5.5) and play with Text Frame Options and Cambria Regulat Font. It seems ok, not crashing the application. Still I gotta test some more.

Kinda strange, isnt' it ?

• 11. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                              John Hawkinson Level 5

Kinda strange, isnt' it ?

Not really. The crash evidently needs at least two things to both happen in order to occur. One may be ue of the Cambria Regular Font. The other is something.

This sort of problem is quite common -- you have to stand on your head and throw rocks at the moon in order for the bug to reproduce.

Have you exported your problem document to IDML and re-opened it to see if that helped?

• 12. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                ionut.m Level 1

The document (about 100 pages) created in CS4 with lot of Cambria text is opened with CS5.5. When I save it as cs5.5 document OR export it as IDML it ALWAYS crashes Indesign (with Cambria Font installed).

If the font is not installed (missing font), I can save it in cs5.5 format or export it do IDML.

Test (the Cambria font is installed).:

A smaller document (from CS4, about 24 pages) with Cambria Font can be saved as CS5.5 (don't know if all the time) and exported as IDML.

Then I used the Text Frame Options (just checked the Balance Coloumns) and it crashed.

Opened the IDML file just created and... it crashed, without doing anything else.

• 13. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Suppose you use Find Font to substitute the Cambria for soomething else temporarily, then export to .idml, open that and run Find Font again to restore the Cambria, then save as a new .indd. Does that work? How about if you export the files from CS4 to .inx (in my experience this is more reliable than .idml) and open the .inx in CS5.5?

Direct conversion of CS3 and CS4 files in CS5 and 5.5 has been reported to be problematic for some users. In general, exporting to interchange format in the original application is trouble-free fro most users, and it is a policy I now enforce for my own work even though I have never seen a problem in my own files.

• 14. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                    ionut.m Level 1

Have no CS4 to do any test.

- test 1

Opened the CS4 document (written with Cambria Font) and replaced the missing font. It looks like the problem is solved. Now, if it is solved, what was the problem? The Cambria Font? The document made in CS4 with Cambria Font? Had no problem with Font Manager in CS4.

- test 2

Can't save the file (or export it to .idml) with Cambria Font installed (Indesign CS5.5 crashes).

So, I uninstalled the font, opened the CS4 file, replaced the font with another and saved in CS5.5 format.

Closed Indesign; installed the Cambria Font, open the CS5.5 format file just saved and replaced the 'temporary' font with Cambria back again. When replacing one instance (don't remember if it was Regular, Bold or something else) Indesign crashed.

Did the same with .idml format (as the paragraph above) and when I replace the 'temporary' font with Cambria Regular it crashes Indesign.

So, Cambria Regular is the nasty font? I might get another copy of it and try again. Still, I can do just fine without it.

• 15. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln

It appears to me that the problem is nto the font, per se, becasue you said it works in a brand new file in CS5, but the combination of the font with the legacy file. This is precisely the sort of elusive problem that I was talking about with legacy files, and as I mentioned, the problem is usually more amenable to repair in the original version.

I'm going to send you a link to send me a CS4 file that is giving you trouble and I'll export to .inx here for you. I'll test that here, and send it back to you to test on your system as well.

• 16. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln

I got your file, converted to .inx, opened that in CS5 and was able to balance columns without a problem. Just for fun I tried the original file, too, and that also has let me balance columns without an issue at least half a dozen times on a single frame after changing the column count. I also tried changing the column count and balancing the columns on the other frames without incident.

I have Windows 7 on this machine, so my copy of Cambria Regular is probably newer than yours (version 5.96 which is an OpenType font with Turetype outlines). My conclusion at this point is there is nothing wrong with the file (unless you need to do dozens of changes like this for the problem to appear), but that you copy of Cambria Regular is broken in some way. I would definitely re-install it. I've also sent you the .inx file, and you should text that, too, before making a change to the font, to see if it helps.

• 17. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln

OK, I had a little extra time on my hands, so I broke out the old laptop with XP SP3 and version 5.92 of the Cambria font. The .indd crashed as soon as I tried to balance columns, and the .inx won't even open, so at least we know this isn't your imagination or something specific to your system alone. A newer version of the font might solve the problem.

• 18. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                            ionut.m Level 1

Summary:

With Cambria Font installed, Indesign crashes when playing with Text Frame Options.

Without Cambria Font, Indesign is running fine... but Microsoft Office 2010 equations does not.

Inserting equations in Office 2010 requires... Cambria Font (Regular - has Cambria Math included, something like that).

So, I could install the font when I use equations in Office 2010 and uninstall it when I use Indesign.

Tried with Cambria Font (4 files - cambria, cambriab, cambriai, cambriaz) from Windows 7 Fonts Folder (on my Windows XP SP3) and the result is the same. Reintalling Office 2010 with Fonts included made no change in the Cambria set fonts - same files, same checksum.

Well... can't say I use office equations often, but still is awkward. No Cambria font for the moment...

How should I say... partially solved ?

Just noticed : Cambria font from my Windows XP SP3 version is 5.96 and from Win 7 is 5.93.

• 19. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln

I'd say not solved at all, and your office 2010 font is probably the latest version (you could check) and copying the ones from Windows 7 (did you move the old ones out of the fonts folder?, how about deleting the AdobeFnt**.list files where ** is a 2-digit number?) without success makes me think the problem could even be in Windows rather than the font or ID.

John?

• 20. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                                ionut.m Level 1

Found 10 AdobeFnt** files on my local partition (where the operating system is located). Made a backup and delete them. Still the problem is the same.

• 21. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln

I just want to verify that ther is only ONE font in the fonts folder called Cambria at this point. You don't want two versions of the same font installed.

• 22. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                                    ionut.m Level 1

To be more clearly:

1. With Cambria Fonts installed (files: CAMBRIA.TTC, CAMBRIAB.TTF, CAMBRIAI.TTF, CAMBRIAZ.TTF  all 4 version 5.96 located in windows\fonts folder)  ID crashes and Office 2010 equations if is just fine.

2. Without Cambria Fonts, ID is ok, but Office 2010 equations (from Word) are blank, the design of the equation is not shown (missing font - wich is Cambria Regulat - realised that Math Cambria is included there) and soon Word 2010 crashes.

So the Cambria font is version 5.96 and those 4 files are for Regular, Bold, Italic and Bold-Italic.

There is no other file or font with prefix Cambria, in Fonts folder or available in any application.

New experiment:

1. Installed just Cambria Regular font (CAMBRIA.TTC file version 5.96). Word 2010 equations are ok but ID crashes.

Here is the Word 2010 equations problem:

Cambria Regular installed

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8071/cambriaregularinstalled.png

Cambria Regular NOT installed

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9864/cambriaregularnotinstal.png

• 23. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Thanks for passing the files along to me as well.

This appears to be a platform-dependent bug, I can't make it happen on a Mac.

Under Windows, I can replicate it simply with your supplied Cambria 5.96 in the Document Fonts folder (a folder in the same directory as the .indd file), even though I have a Cambria on my system. Unlike Peter, my Windows machine is in the Dark Ages and it has Cambria 1.02.

So, by extension, another workaround is to find a version of Cambria that works and put it in your Document Fonts folder when you need to work with such documents...

Or...you could just not use Cambria in InDesign.

• 24. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                                        ionut.m Level 1

I can do just fine without Cambria in Indesign, but in Word 2010 I must have a good version so I can do the equations.

If I had different versions of the font I might do some test. For the moment I have the font uninstalled.

• 25. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Wait...does the problem occur if your InDesign document doesn't use Cambria?
                                                          If not, the workaround is to just not use Cambria in InDesign, yes?

• 26. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln

I can't speak for the OP, but I don't recall ever seeing a balance columns crash on my system with Cambria installed, but not in use. That may mean that I never tried to use balance columns, however.

• 27. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                                              ionut.m Level 1

I noticed the problem opening CS4 document made with Cambria Font. If I play with Text Frame, or just try to save it, most of the time crashes, if not always.

I've done some many tests these days, can't remember all the details - guess need a break.

Got version 5.00 of the Cambria font. Equations in Word 2010 are fine, InDesign seems to be fine too (using the font). I'll test some more and get back with the results.

• 28. Re: Indesign CS5.5 - Error signature - font manager.rpln
                                                                ionut.m Level 1

Ok, the problem is solved (had no crash in 2 days).

The problem was the Cambria Regular font, version 5.00 I had, originally. Got a new file with same version and things are running fine.

My original Cambria Regular v5.00 has about 1.5 MB and the other file, same version of font, has 1.0 MB. So, 2 different files, same version. One crashing ID, the other one running fine.

The 'good one'

Cambria Regular version 5.00,  'cambria.ttc' file, 1065 KB,

md5: 524b34c83d901627ffa94535596c87d2

The 'bad one'

Cambria Regular version 5.00,  'cambria.ttc' file, 1585 KB,

md5: 530e4f16910be9010ccdda67146e8438

PS: The other version of font (5.96 and 5.93) gave me the same crash.

The good font for me ? Cambria Regular version 5.00 1065 KB size, with the md5 sum above. (ID and Word 2010 are ok).