10 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2012 11:25 PM by hj_s

I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!

marjamstar@aol.com

I have video and still photos on my project. Narration was doing fine until I hit about the 30 minute mark of my project. When I try to narrate after the 30 minute mark, the narration goes to the beginning of the project.  I guess I need to know how long a project can be in PE9. Perhaps I have exceeded its capability.

• 1. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of questions, please:

How long is your Timeline?

Do you have your narration in the Narration Track?

Have you moved the CTI (Current Time Indicator) to the ~ 30 min. mark, and then selected another Audio Track?

A test would also be to click+drag your existing narration WAV file to an empty Audio Track, and then attempt to record to the Narration Track, for the rest.

Going back a bit, there were some issues that arose with both of the Fixed Audio Tracks, Narration and Soundtrack. I have not heard of any issues with Pr 9, or 10, but they could exist.

I am unaware of any Duration limit for narration, but I suppose that there could be. I have just never heard of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
            marjamstar@aol.com Level 1

Think I have found a way around my problem, but may get back to you.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Marjorie

• 3. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
              Aniks Level 2

The duration of videos/audios in your timeline matters when adding the narration.

30 seconds after your timeline ended, the narration stops automatically. So, if thats the case, you have a workaround of adding videos in the empty part of your timeline and when you are done with your narration you can very well delete them. Otherwise, I dont think that there is any time limit in PRE.

• 4. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
                hj_s

Similar problem here. Traced it back to the time ruler having (in part) the gray-blue bar mentioned in other posts. Solved the immidiate problem by moving start of that bar to after the range I am working. This is however not a solution.Does it have a function in PRE 10 and how do I get rid of it?

The most annoying effect was, that existing narrations at the start of the project were overwritten without any warning.

hj_s

• 5. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The feature hj is describing is the Work Area Bar, the light-gray bar that runs along the top of the timeline. Normally it shrinks or expands automatically to cover your project -- but you can also override that automatically feature by (accidentally) setting it manually.

If it is not over the part of the timeline where you're trying to record your narration, the narration will not work correctly.

• 6. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
                    hj_s Level 1

Thank You for the explanation. To me it looked there was an extra (darker) gray-blue bar that covered what You call the Work Area Bar.

It would like to know two things:

(1) Where do I find a comprehensive description of the Time Ruler and the items it comprises?

(2) How do I set the Work Area Bar to shrink and expand automatically? Reset of the work space did not do that.

hj_s

• 7. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The ruler is something different. Is that really what you want to know about?

To reset the Work Area Bar to grow and shrink automatically, press the \ key (above the Enter key) to show the whole project timeline, then double-click on the Work Area Bar. It should snap to the length of your project.

Note that in version 8, this feature is broken and, once you manually set the Work Area Bar size, you can not re-set it to automatic.

The program's Help files offer many of more details. And my books show you how it all works in simple step-by-step instructions.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

• 8. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
                        hj_s Level 1

Maybe I should mention, that I work with the German version (10) of the program and of course a keyboard with German layout. So the neither the \-key marked on the keyboard (reached using the AktGr key) , nor the #-key located where You describe produced the desired reaction.

There appear to have been some misunderstandings in our conversation. I will try to clean them up a bit:

Working in the timeline view I have in the top line a light blue-gray bar with time in white characters. In the documentation of the program this bar is always shown in gray. Overlaid over this I have the Work Area Bar (Arbeitsbereichsleiste in German) with handles on both ends to adjust it manually.

When I had the problems with narration, the light blue-gray bar did not not extend over the whole length of the program and it was not possible to record narration outside the region covered by that bar. The position of the Work Area Bar did not matter.

The first question in my previous mail refers to whatever is in that first line of the Timeline. I could not find a description of it in the documentation that came with the program or was referenced in the places I found.

I visited the site You referred to, but could not find out wether the books offered there would contain the information I am looking for.

In any case: Thank You a lot for Your assistance.

hj_s

• 9. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are actually two ways to limit the Timeline:

• The first is the WAB (Work Area Bar), that has been mentioned above, and is covered in a bit more detail in this ARTICLE.
                          • The next is by setting In & Out Points on the Timeline itself. This operation is used in Four-Point Editing in PrPro, but its use is limited in PrE. This usually happens accidentally, if one hits the I key ("eye key"), or the O key ("oh key"), when the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playhead) is anywhere, except for the beginning of the Timeline (00;00;00;00), or at the very end. Then, the area below the Time Ruler will change shades of gray, at the In and Out Point in the Timeline.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: I have PE9 . Narration jumps back to beg of video after 30 minutes. Help!
                            hj_s Level 1

Thank You for the reply. I learned a bit more about the timeline and the Work Area Bar. That bar works as described and I have used However, these were not really the problem.

Work Area Bar.jpg

The picture above shows part of the timeline: The line that contains i.a. the time ruler starts with a dark-gray bar, the end of which I can move. Then comes a light gray bar followed by the left end handle of the work area bar. The light gray continues under the WAB and again its end can be moved.

The problem I ran into is, that, when trying to record narration  outside the range marked by the light gray bar, the CTI jumps to the start of the project and overwrites whatever narration was recorded there. This situation exists in only one project, other (older and newer) projects do not show this behavior.

There is already quite a bit of work in the project in trouble and I would be much happier if someone can tell me how to get rid of the light gray bar.

hj_s

Edited to include image and improve problem description. hj_s