9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 2:55 PM by nickdbomb

Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC

NewtoPremiere

Can anybody help me with constant crashes of Premiere Pro?

I'm on an HP Pavillion Elite (e9250t) running an Intel Core i5 CPU, 2.67GHz with 8 GB of Ram.  It's a 64 bit OS (Win 7).  Graphics card is ATI RAdeon HD 4650.

Just installed the software (v5.5) via download yesterday.  Has crashed 8-10 times, even after I updated to 5.5.2.

Seems to happen when I preview in Source monitor (I'm reading the board that this is common???)

Premiere's crash report says:

Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
        Application Name:Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
        Application Version:5.5.2.0
        Application Timestamp:4e960e56
        Fault Module Name:ImageRenderer.dll
        Fault Module Version:5.5.2.0

When it crashes I must reboot my entire system.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The first things that I would do would be to update your ATI/AMD video drivers. Being HP, you might check their Web site first, as they, and Dell, usually tweak the nVidia, or ATI drivers for their machines.

Then, find your audio card/chip, and update that driver, as well. Again,check the HP site.

Then, tell us more about your Source Footage, and your Sequence Preset.

What are you doing,when the program crahses?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
            NewtoPremiere Level 1

Terrific, thank you.  I'll go do that.

Source footage is a variety of .mpg comp footage from a stock house (at 400 X 226) and an mpeg4 at 1280 X 720.

Sequence preset is DV NTSC 720 X 480.

This am, prior to seeing your comments, I was working and did two things..one, I did not turn on Bridge.  I really like Bridge, but remembered that it seemed to be involved when the lock ups happened.  Second, I was cautious with Source panel.  I had not realized that footage sampled there stayed open; every 4 clips or so I clear all.

No freezes thus far today.

I will go download the drivers, sounds like a good suggestion.  Meanwhile, do you know if Bridge has any maintenance needs?  I saw on one board to "clear my caches" but I'm not sure how to do that.

THANK YOU.

• 3. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I know of no issues with Bridge, and often have it open, though minimized. However, it does draw some resources (I've never bothered to test it, but generally would not consider it a resource "hog"). Still, if one's available resources are marginal, to begin with, then having it open could push the computer over its limit.

Along with the drivers, this would probably be a good time to list your computer's specs., and the more detail, the better. It could just be that resources are runniing too low. Folk here can look over those specs., and will likely have some good recs. for getting the most out of the computer, for editing sessions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
                NewtoPremiere Level 1

I really appreciate the help here.

I'm on an HP Pavillion Elite (e9250t) running Win7 64 bit on an Intel Core i5 CPU, 2.67GHz with 8 GB of Ram. Graphics card is ATI RAdeon HD 4650. The hard drive has 685 GB of storage and right now I'm using 135 GB of that storage (550 GB free).

I'm using a Seagate FreeAgent Drive  as my scratch disk.  It has 28 GB used of 111 GB total (83GB available).  I do not know anything about its speed.

Are there other specs I can tell you?  Tell me where to look for them and I'll give them to you.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
                  NewtoPremiere Level 1

An additional spec re: the processor, says its" Intel Core i5 CPU   750 @ 2.67GHz"

• 6. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
                    Darren Kelly Level 1

On Labour Day, I bought an HP Elite 500F, upgraded the video card and power supply, and tried to run Premiere Pro CS 5.5.

I had nothing but headaches. I changed the MB last week, and the case and can report a much happier system.

I guess what I am saying is the MB's in the HP's that are not their high end workstations can't handle the demands of Premiere Pro.

Sorry to report this. I may be totally wrong, but this is how I fixed my problem. It's interesting to note, that the only components I have from that original computer is the hard drive, which has been formatted as a data drive, and the processor & heat sync that came on the processor.

• 7. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
                      nickdbomb

Dump the ATI card

I had the ATI Radeon HD 4850 on my CS4 workstation that did not have the Mercury engine, it worked well.  One of the big reason I upgraded to CS5.5 was the Mercury engine.  I tried the system with the 4850 after upgrading WOWSA it was funky. I swapped the 4850 with a GeForce GTX 560 Ti. It made a black and white difference. You'll need to add the card to the cuda_supported_card.txt file Gone were the issues and the performance was soooo....... much better.  Really fast encoding to h.264.

Also try launching PP5.5 from the program/adobe/premiere pro.exe file while holding the CTRL & SHIFT key down untill the program launches to clear your preferences.

• 8. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
                        shooternz Level 6

I'm using a Seagate FreeAgent Drive  as my scratch disk.  It has 28 GB used of 111 GB total (83GB available).  I do not know anything about its speed.

Thats not suitable for the task and is a possible source of your issue.

• 9. Re: Constant crashing Premiere Pro 5.5.2 on PC
                          nickdbomb Level 1

Added a USB 3.0 card and Silverstone 2 x1TB drive RAID 0 with USB 3.0.   Absolutely blazing fast external drives and file transfer.