3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 5:51 AM by ReshapeMedia

Implicatons for Flash now that Adobe has ditched mobile device effort

chopTheWood Level 1

Wih Adobe abandoning the development of Flash on mobile devices, what implications doe sthis have for the future of Flash in general?

• 1. Re: Implicatons for Flash now that Adobe has ditched mobile device effort
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

People can devise all the implications they like, but they'd be as much a guess as anyone's.  Plenty of folks already have based on misreading about the mobile matters.... just look thru some of the forum posting titles here and you'll find a number of folks who felt a raindrop and concluded the sky is falling.

• 2. Re: Implicatons for Flash now that Adobe has ditched mobile device effort
            chopTheWood Level 1

It's true that people would, as you put it, be just guessing as to what's actually going to happen after Adobe's decision to bail in the Flash-mobile device market. Nobody knows absolutely. However, that's not a good reason for putting a lid on it or for never asking the question. Some people are good at guessing about these things (remember Steve Jobs) and, being well informed to boot, they might have an intersting scenario to present. From my superficial understanding of the situation, I can only raise the question so that I might learn more by reading others' responses. Then I will decide for myself as to their credibility.

There are some things I know, even more that I don't know and some things I can guess at with resonable accuracy. For instance, I know the mobile device market is big and getting bigger. Exactly how big I don't know. And, I  am guessing that no Flash on mobile devices might have an effect on Flash's future on non-mobile computers. Because I am a Flash developer -albeit small time- questions like this are important to me. Maybe there are some forum members who are more savvy than I about these business tech matters, more Jobs-like in their adumbrations. No, not maybe, this I know for sure.

Besides, who knows, maybe the sky is falling!

Well... anyone?

• 3. Re: Implicatons for Flash now that Adobe has ditched mobile device effort
              ReshapeMedia Level 1

The sky is not falling... but you're right... who knows!

• Maybe Adobe found out FTML runs up to 5x faster on mobile devices than Flex
              • Maybe Adobe found out I can compile Flash on Mobile devices through the Flash Player, without Flash or Flex

Either way.  Its not a major concern.  On multi-core processors (on mobiles), FTML runs lighting fast - like nothing you would expect from Flash on mobiles.  Without the mobile Flash Player... I'll have to allow FTML to render back to Grandpa HTML.

Adobe should have really tested FTML on mobiles first to see what Flash can really do... but... business is business.