6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 11:48 AM by peter minneapolis

Images won't number correctly

I am creating my first document in InDesign. The text has been pasted from Word, without the images.  I added in footnotes without problems and am now trying to add in images and numbered captions.  I found the tutorials online and set up a number paragraph style for these captions.  I selected to "continue from previous number" from bullets an numbering for the Mode.  Both of the images I have entered so far are now listed as "Fig. 1".  could there be something in the formatting that is causing the images to restart at 1?  I can't seem to find the place to check that it continues numbering across all stories, and I don't know how to check that I even have more than one story.  The document is about 35 pages.  There are some sections with different headings, but both of these images are in the first section.  There will be others in other sections as well and I don't know if the problem will persist when I get to those.  Thanks for any help!

Sandra

• 1. Re: Images won't number correctly
          M Blackburn Level 3

Your first problem (because I'm guessing there will be more to come) is that your captions need to be threaded from frame to frame. As you are doing it now, each frame is recognized as the first in the numbering sequence because it is the first. Use a break character to bump the captions from frame to frame.

• 2. Re: Images won't number correctly
            peter minneapolis Level 4

M Blackburn wrote:

Your first problem (because I'm guessing there will be more to come) is that your captions need to be threaded from frame to frame. As you are doing it now, each frame is recognized as the first in the numbering sequence because it is the first. Use a break character to bump the captions from frame to frame.

If it's not possible to thread the frames and break the flow frame-by-frame, this might work:

IIRC, you can set numbering to continue across (unthreaded) stories. I don't have ID available right now to point more precisely. However, also IIRC, the numbering on a page goes by the creation order the frames. I think you can cut and paste unthreaded frames right back in the same location, and the numbering adjusts.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 3. Re: Images won't number correctly
              M Blackburn Level 3

Peter is correct on all counts.

If you select  List: and choose New List, you will be presented with a dialoge box that allows you to choose Continue Numbers across Stories. The numbering does follow the order that the text frames were created, and if you cut and paste a frame (say #2 out of 4 on the page), that frame will be renumbered #4 and the rest will be renumbered according to the new creation sequence.

• 4. Re: Images won't number correctly

M Blackburn wrote:

Peter is correct on all counts.

If you select  List: and choose New List, you will be presented with a dialoge box that allows you to choose Continue Numbers across Stories. The numbering does follow the order that the text frames were created, and if you cut and paste a frame (say #2 out of 4 on the page), that frame will be renumbered #4 and the rest will be renumbered according to the new creation sequence.

Thanks for the verification.

One more thing...(no not another surprise from Steve J.) I think that position on the page may also affect numbering across unthreaded frames - i.e., top-left preceding bottom-right. There may also be a gotcha if a frame down the page is to the left of the top-left frame, it may affect the numbering. Again, can't test it at this time.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: Images won't number correctly
                  M Blackburn Level 3

"position on the page may also affect numbering across unthreaded frames"

I don't see that behaviour. And I don't see how it would be possible to have two self-contradictory ways of numbering the frames. Perhaps you are thinking of a previous behaviour?

• 6. Re: Images won't number correctly

M Blackburn wrote:

"position on the page may also affect numbering across unthreaded frames"

I don't see that behaviour. And I don't see how it would be possible to have two self-contradictory ways of numbering the frames. Perhaps you are thinking of a previous behaviour?

I was trying hard to recall an experience with this behavior when I wrote that, but apparently I mis-recalled it. Thanks.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices