6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Cannot burn NTSC DVD after burning PAL DVD

siegenpaul

Using Adobe Premiere Elements vers.10, I created a video which I need to burn onto DVDs, in PAL format for European users and NTSC for North American recipients.  I successfully burned (to folder) in NTSC, and then in PAL.  Produced two sample DVDs from those two folders and reviewed them.  This highlighted the need for a few corrections to the project.  I carried these out, burned the revised film to folder in PAL format, and then wanted to do the same in NTSC format.  The computer appears to work on the task, but produces no folder and no files.  I am no longer able to procude a DVD in NTSC format, either by burning to a folder or burning directly on a DVD.  What is the cause of this problem ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide with this issue.

Paul

• 1. Re: Cannot burn NTSC DVD after burning PAL DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

I assume that you get no error messages, with the second Burn to Folder. Is that correct?

How much defragmented, free-space do you have on the destination HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Cannot burn NTSC DVD after burning PAL DVD
            siegenpaul Level 1

Hunt thanks for getting back to me. 

I received no error messages. The computer looks as though it's performing the task, and the progress bar moves regularly until I receive the message that the movie has been burned to folder, but then when I look at the folders there is nothing.  And no error message.  There is ample free space on the hard drive as it's 2 Terabytes and well over 1 Terabyte of free space at the moment.

I am wondering whether having burned one session in PAL format (25 frames per second) the software cannot revert back to NTSC's faster frame rate?  Should I maybe delete all the rendering files, render the whole film again, and then attempt a new NTSC DVD burn ?  Do you think that might resolve the issue ?

Paul

• 3. Re: Cannot burn NTSC DVD after burning PAL DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

I do not recall any issues, where the program gets hung up, though as a precaution, maybe clear the Media Cache in the Scratch Disks. I know that Encore (sort of the authoring "big-brother" to the authoring function in PrE) can get confused, when it has some older Media Cache files. It assumes that things have already been done, when it needs to "start over."

Also, I would create a new, empty folder, with a unique name, and direct the Burn to Disc to THAT folder. Since all that one gets is the VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS (empty), and then another folder, whose name I cannot recall (Encore does not write anything but the VIDEO_TS folder and IFO, BUP and VOB files), it's easy to confuse the output. Just thinking here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Cannot burn NTSC DVD after burning PAL DVD
                Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

Are you changing the location of burn to some custom location and navigating all the burns in that folder. If by any chance if you closed the project and reopened it, the location is reset to default one. Please check the Documents folder which is the default for Burn to Folder or make sure to set the location correctly before burning. Please let me know if this solves the issue or there really is problem of second burn.

Thanks,

Tahseen

• 5. Re: Cannot burn NTSC DVD after burning PAL DVD
                  Ted Smith Level 3

I thought you only had a finite number of times you could change some burners between NTSC and PAL, After that it becomes locked

Does this apply to your DCD burner?

• 6. Re: Cannot burn NTSC DVD after burning PAL DVD
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Interesting. I have never read of that, nor encountered it, but then all of my work has been NTSC, so encounters woud be strange for me.

I'll have to research that a bit more - probably going to learn something useful in that process.

Thanks,

Hunt