26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 2:02 PM by Eliran S

Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline

Eliran S

Hey Guys,

Sorry for another thread being opened, but I guess the old thread is not to the point with my problem.

The current situation is simple, I can't edit avchd footage.

With only one strip of video (AVCHD 1080i 25fps), I can't preview the time line without heavy lags.

I don't know where to attack the problem from.. the machine is brand new and I have tried just about everything.

Is it a hardware problem? I'm pretty desperate.

The machine:

i7 2600k, p8z68 v pro MOBO, 16gb ram (4x4GB G.Skill RipJaw X Edition Dual Channel CL7-8-7-24)

GTX 560 Ti ('hacked' the cuda list)

500gb black caviar sata 3 for os

2*1tb black caviar sata 3 raid for Project & Media

2*1tb black caviar sata 3 raid for Scartch,Renders,Etc.

2tb green caviar for backups.

*using the onboard raid controller.

No index, no compression, maxed out for performance in every aspect (removed visuals), disabled services, removed auto startups thingies

disabled anti virus, windows is up to date.

Hdd are defragged without partitions, I get 163 average speed in hd zune which I think is normal.

Ram: no page on any drive other then on the scratch raid with 24gb set as fixed size, power plan is set to high performance.

I'm running adobe cs5.5 with latest 5.5.2 update.

Benchmarking with the ppbm is quite ok compared to other similar sets.

Because the problem is previewing the timeline my guess, the problem is something with read speed from the hdd.

The CPU goes up to 30% when I'm playing with the timeline and memory usagase is about 7-8gb

One last thought, maybe I'm editing in a not suitable sequence? when I'm laying the footage on the time line the entire sequence is yellow.

Many thanks,

Eliran.

• 1. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
          Jim_Simon Level 9

With the correct sequence, you should not get any color bar above.  Try fixing that.

• 2. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to be sure your project is corrrect, See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Eliran,

Don't know from what camera the material is, but if it happens to be a camera that can be set to either LPCM or Dolby digital audio recording, you may be better off using Dolby digital sound. Second suggestion is to update your video drivers to the latest version.

• 4. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                Eliran S Level 1

Hey guys,

Still no luck.

I have tried every single time line for the material, I can't be sure what is the brand of the camera because I'm not working with the camera man (he's a freelance just like me) so the camera can be changed from time to time.

I have tried dragging the footage to the 'New Item' , but no go.. It worked great for MXF file extension, but what I'm editing mostly are MTS files.

The custom way didn't work well either and I think I have covered just about every single type in the menu when creating new sequence.

What I do know is, that the files are 1920 * 1080, 25Fps, as they recognized as such in the premiere.

I really hope it will come down to this silly thing and that my hardware is functioning well.

Harm, the video drivers are up to date, as all the drivers on my PC.

As for the sound, I will try that ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,

Eliran.

• 5. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                  RjL190365 Level 4

One more thing to check:

Is your system's i7-2600K overclocked at all? Or is it still running at its default (stock) speed? AVCHD editing requires a super-powerful CPU to do that kind of job well.

And the reason why you have greater success editing MXF is because MXF is not AVCHD at all - but very-high-bitrate MPEG-2.

• 6. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                    Eliran S Level 1

Hi RjL,

The cpu is still stock.

However, I expected it to handle one strip of AVCHD without any problems, was I wrong?

If yes is the answer, then I'll have to consider OC'ing it because the current situation is impossible.

Can anyone verify it for me? I can't see much use of the cpu when viewing the timeline.

More over, judging by benchmarks in ppbm I find it hard to believe that only the top 100 machines can edit AVCHD films.

Isn't viewing a timeline (not even editing it) is something to do with reading time from the hdd?

Harm, the audio made no difference, Can you tell me which components in the cpu are participating in viewing the time line?

Regards,

Eliran.

• 7. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Nearly all. CPU, memory, disk and possibly GPU.

This is getting muddier all the time. Can you post here or send me the requested info from this link Adobe Forums: If you need help quickly... Guideline...

and especially from the points 5 thru 8.

• 8. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

I expected it to handle one strip of AVCHD without any problems, was I wrong?

No.  Even my i7 920 at stock speeds can edit H.264 without issue.  Your 2700K should be just fine.

Now, earlier you said "I have tried dragging the footage to the 'New Item' , but no go."  What exactly does that mean?  You still have trouble with playback, or you still get a colored bar over the media?

• 9. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                          Eliran S Level 1

Hey Jim,

I'm afraid I'm still having the same issues, problem with the playback (laggy as hell) and a yellow colored bar over the media.

But I'm sure glad to hear that the system *should* be fine for editing, for a second I thought I had made a bad deal when buying this setup.

Harm, I have looked into your post and brought all the goodies that may shad some light on this case, I PM'd you with it.

If any one else feels he can contribute as well, please feel free to join the thread.

Thank you so much for the help (All of you guys), I really appreciate it.

Eliran.

• 10. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                            DoctorBongo

Download latest BIOS directly from Asus website. Use the bundled BIOS update application to install it. Worked for me P8Z68 V-Pro.

• 11. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                              RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, the BIOS downloads no longer include the BIOS update application at all. The separately available DOS-based update application is outdated and no longer supports newer BIOS versions. That leaves only two options to update an Asus P67 or Z68 BIOS: through the EFI BIOS or through the Windows-based Asus Update in AI Suite II. Unfortunately, flashing a BIOS in Windows can (and does) fail due to malware or a Windows crash - and in the worst-case scenario, the failure would leave you with a totally bricked motherboard.

• 12. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Eliran,

I have looked at your data and I would try to kill the following processes from Process Explorer:

• Everything AVG
                                • wmprph.exe, Btvstack.exe, aaHMSvc.exe, AdminService.exe and atkexComSvc.exe
                                • All ASUSTek utilities

Especially AVG and Bluetooth steal a lot of CPU cycles. The bold processes above are both memory hogs and CPU intensive, but I admit I don't know what they do, since there is no Company name for them. So I would use Kill Process Tree on all of these.

Do you have the latest Intellimouse drivers and software? In the past that was often the cause of problems. You could try to remove it all together and use the default Windows driver.

Let me know if that helps.

• 13. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                  Eliran S Level 1

Harm,

Sadly it is still not working..

The steps I have taken:

Uninstalled avg & all asustek programs, disabled services related to the process you have mentioned, killed the processes, disabled BT from bios and from the windows, removed intelisoft software and using the default driver for the mouse.

DoctorBongo & Rjl,

About the bios, I have already updated it to the latest version in the past and no change.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't have a problem starting the entire installations from scratch, but I already tried that once and nothing has changed.. :/

Should I try installing older version of gpu driver? maybe I need to config the bios differently?

Again, I'm mentioning the yellow bar line all over my time line while editing AVCHD footage in mts format.

I'm getting really desperate here..

Thanks for all the help,

Eliran.

• 14. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                    SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Eliran,

How are you importing the footage? Best to use the "Browser" and not just "Import". The person supplying the footage should be giving you the entire folder structure from his camera card, not just video clips, then use Browser to bring clips into Premiere. With your hardware, you should have no problem working with a couple layers of AVCHD, so something is going on there.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

• 15. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                      Eliran S Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I'm getting the entire folder from the camera man.

Until now I imported with: File - Import - going to the main folder as follows: PRIVATE - AVCHD - BDMW - STREAM - and select all the videos , is it ok?

By browse do you mean using the adobe bridge? Because I can't see any difference when importing it from there.

Thanks,

Eliran.

• 16. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline

Hi Eliran,

At the bottom left of default Premiere layout, you should have a "Browser" pane or tab - open that and navigate to where the video files are. I don't think you even need to dig all the way down to the Stream folder - this is what Browser does, is locate the VIDEO clips out of the complexity. It will list them out, and you can multi-select the ones you want and drag them to the timeline sequence OR the clip bin.

The way AVCHD works is that audio and video files are sometimes separate, then there is the metadata and such, and the parts are all kind of separate, so if you ONLY go and import the video clip, sometimes causes issues in editing. Better to use Browser because it understands all that and takes care of it for you. Maybe I'm oversimplifying or don't have it 100% correct, but just saying that we've had customers with editing problems that were solved by using Browser rather than Import.

Doesn't hurt to try that method, is recommended for tapeless materials.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 17. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                          Eliran S Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid it still doesnt solves the problem..

Eliran.

• 18. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                            Jim_Simon Level 9

and a yellow colored bar over the media.

OK, solve that.  There should be no colored bar over AVCHD media without effects and used in the correct sequence.

• 19. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                              Eliran S Level 1

Hi Jim,

I wish i knew how.

I tried all the sequence types, but its stays yellow.

I also tried Jeff's method (with import) and John's method (drag the media to new item).

The only way I can edit it is transcoding it to mxf using panasonic avchd converter.

I would love to hear any other recommendations regarding this matter,

Eliran.

• 20. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                                JEShort01 Level 4

Eliran,

Does your timeline scrub and play back perfectly when you do a Sequence/Render Entire Work Area (with hardware acceleration turned on)?

While that may not be necessary after you get to the bottom of whatever hardware / software / firmware / setup issue is currently giving you grief, this could be a useful solution for getting work done in the mean time.

Regards,

Jim

• 21. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                                  Eliran S Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the idea, I remember I've tried that, but it took forever because the total duration of the video for each movie is around 3-5 hours.

I'll give it another go.

Guys, any one got another idea about the reason the timeline is colored with yellow bar?

Is there any reason besides incorrect sequence to the footage?

Eliran.

• 22. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline

The yellow bar is not a bad thing - it simply means that the Mercury Engine will be used for playback. If playback drops any frames, only then should it turn red, indicating that rendering is required.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

• 23. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 9

What exact make and model camera is in use here?

• 24. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                                        JEShort01 Level 4

Eliran,

You need not render the whole timeline to answer my question; simply start the render for the entire work area and then cancel it out after a couple of minutes. Then, see if scrubbing and timeline playback on the "green" areas is prefect or flawed.

Jim

• 25. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                                          RjL190365 Level 4

Yes. If playback in the green areas is still flawed, then there is something else going on in Eliran's system, including defective RAM and/or hard drive(s)...

• 26. Re: Lags while previewing AVCHD timeline
                                                            Eliran S Level 1

Hi Jim,Rjl & Jeff,

I have done as you guys suggested, when rendering the timeline, it works like a charm.

Of course doing so is not a reasonable thing to do each time I want to edit mts files.

Anyway's as you guys are saying, I hope we can eliminate a hardware problem (I really hope so).

Jim, I don't know the make of that camera because I'm not getting the footage directly from the camera man.

I can check that tomorrow and get back to you with an answer.

Thanks for the continuous help,

Eliran.