5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2011 6:33 AM by VDOSurfer RSS

Importing AVCHD 1080p 24fps footage into Premiere Elements 10

Jack3456 Community Member

Hello -

I am trying to set up a project in Premiere Elements 10 using AVCHD .mts video files imported from my Sony Nex 5N camera.  These files are 1080p 24fps.  I am unable to find any preset setting that matches these specs.  The AVCHD presets are all  either 1080i at 30fps, or 720p at 24fps.  There is a 1080p 24fps setting under the "DSLR" presets, but I have no idea what codec "DSLR" refers to and assume it is not AVCHD.

Any advice greatly appreciated.  I'm running a Core 2 duo 2ghz Mac Mini, so I don't have tons of processing power.  I'm most interested in simply viewing footage and making selects at this stage, rather than actually editing, so I would prefer to avoid transcoding my footage for now.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Importing AVCHD 1080p 24fps footage into Premiere Elements 10
          Steve Grisetti MVP

That is correct. Premiere Elements can not work with 1920x1080 24p or 60p video.

You may be able to use the DSLR project preset but it's not a perfect match and may lead to problems later.

I very much recommend you don't try to compromise these project settings. Matching your project settings to your video is vital to a successful project.

However, a talented user on our forum has created a way to create presets for working with this video. They're not endorsed by Adobe, so use them at your own risk. However, gvimuser certainly seems to know what he's doing.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/924247

• 2. Re: Importing AVCHD 1080p 24fps footage into Premiere Elements 10
            Jack3456 Community Member

Thank you so much for the response, though obviously this is not the answer I was hoping to hear.

Unfortunately, the patch you linked to appears to be for Windows only, and I'm running a Mac.

I take it there is no other work-around?  There's no way to customize the presets on Premiere Elements 10 running on a Mac?

I completely agree that I don't want to compromise the basic settings - I tried using the "DSLR" 1080p 24fps setting, and my footage is barely playable.  Do you think that the AVCHD 720p 24fps setting might be ok, albeit at lower quality?

Lastly, if Premiere Elements is out, is my only other choice Premiere Pro?  I'm trying to avoid FCP X since I've got no desire to learn a new paradigm for editing, and would prefer for now to avoid transcoding all my footage into Prores (though I realize working in Prores or some other easier to edit codec may make sense once I get to the serious editing stage).

• 3. Re: Importing AVCHD 1080p 24fps footage into Premiere Elements 10
              Steve Grisetti MVP

Unfortunately, your ownly options are pretty likely pro software or Final Cut.

• 4. Re: Importing AVCHD 1080p 24fps footage into Premiere Elements 10
                Aniks Community Member

Yes, PRE doesnot have preset settings matching to yours.

If its really needed, then I think your option is Premiere Pro. There you have the option of customizing project preset settings.

Good Luck!

• 5. Re: Importing AVCHD 1080p 24fps footage into Premiere Elements 10
                  VDOSurfer Community Member

DSLR is AVCHD, if that is your ONLY concern.. I mean the DSLRs shoot files in AVCHD progressive formats. So I think this is what this preset also refers to. You can try it and then decide if PrE10 is your solution or as Aniks suggests, Premiere Pro could be.

But not having tons of processing power could hamper your editing workflows, and most definitely so if you are planning to go to Premiere Pro. You can do your small edits, and also transcode (export/render/share/burn), but at leisure. Overnights, weekends etc.