9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2006 10:42 AM by Newsgroup_User

Check "Agree" to Continue

GinaNCFD
      Well, it looks like my Board of Directors would like to have visitors to our site check the agreement to our policy before entering our site. Basically, one of those boxes that won't let you proceed without checking "I agree" first. I have no idea what this is called or how it is done. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, you guys, you're the best!

Gina
        • 1. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
          Level 7
          > Well, it looks like my Board of Directors would like to have visitors to
          > our
          > site check the agreement to our policy before entering our site.

Looks like your board of directors are a bunch of idiots.

> Basically,
          > one of those boxes that won't let you proceed without checking "I agree"
          > first.
          > I have no idea what this is called or how it is done. Can someone help
          > me
          > with this?

Every page on your site needs to check for a cookie. If the cookie isn't
          there, you redirect to the page that has the magic button. The button then
          sets the cookie, letting people enter the site.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
            Level 7
            Does your board realize how deadly that is? Deadly for visitors, deadly for
            search engines. Unless your site offers something so compelling and so
            unique that people want it really really badly, and they can't get it
            anywhere else, you might as well save your time and money and not have a
            site.

Okay, now that I have that off my chest, how it's done depends on what kind
            of server scripting language you have available and what you're familiar
            with? Does your server have php? asp? something else?

--
            Sonjay

On 8/15/06 4:59 PM, "GinaNCFD" wrote:

> Well, it looks like my Board of Directors would like to have visitors to our
            > site check the agreement to our policy before entering our site. Basically,
            > one of those boxes that won't let you proceed without checking "I agree"
            > first.
            > I have no idea what this is called or how it is done. Can someone help me
            > with this? Thanks, you guys, you're the best!
            >
            > Gina
            >

• 3. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
              Level 7
              > Well, it looks like my Board of Directors would like to have visitors to
              > our
              > site check the agreement to our policy before entering our site.

What policy?

What are they hoping to achieve with such nonsense other than drive visitors
              away?

--
              Regards

John Waller

• 4. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
                GinaNCFD Level 1
                Wow, no, I don't think the Board has any clue as to ramifications. They simply are looking for visitors to either 1) read our website policy before entering, or 2) simply agree to the website policy. The policy itself is a standard policy indicating that we strive on accuracy and timeliness of items published, but that the website, in itself, does not take precedence of any information available at our office. All that waiver of liability talk.

However, it sounds as if this is a bigger deal than initially thought. As a real newbie to web design/publishing, I don't have a clue about php, asp, or what those things are.... I know about cookies, but only the kind we dunk in milk - LOL. Well, just about anyway.

I stated that most public agencies simply having the "policy" on the site as opposed to prior to check in, but it's their preference. So, any more information on the subject - pro or con - will help me when I report back.

Thanks, again, everyone - I can always count on you!!!

• 5. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
                  Level 7
                  > I stated that most public agencies simply having the "policy" on the site
                  > as
                  > opposed to prior to check in, but it's their preference. So, any more
                  > information on the subject - pro or con - will help me when I report back.

Give the board an analogy: would Wal-Mart require everyone entering the
                  store to read a poster and then give an oath before they were allowed to
                  enter the store and spend their money?

The problem with what the board is proposing is:

1) It's an extra hurdle your site users have to cross
                  2) no one actually reads these policies anyways
                  3) it prevents useful linking to parts of your site from other sites
                  4) it's just plain annoying.

-Darrel

• 6. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
                    Level 7
                    Not to mention it'll stop search engine spiders dead in their tracks. No
                    spidering = no appearance in search results for any searches. The site
                    simply won't exist in Google, et al.

Mainly, though, it's a bad idea because people simply won't bother. Their
                    "back" button is just a twitch of the mouse away, and they'll go somewhere
                    else where they don't have to agree to some legalese eye-glazing-over policy
                    before entering the site.

--
                    Sonjay

On 8/15/06 6:14 PM, "darrel" wrote:
                    > Give the board an analogy: would Wal-Mart require everyone entering the
                    > store to read a poster and then give an oath before they were allowed to
                    > enter the store and spend their money?
                    >
                    > The problem with what the board is proposing is:
                    >
                    > 1) It's an extra hurdle your site users have to cross
                    > 2) no one actually reads these policies anyways
                    > 3) it prevents useful linking to parts of your site from other sites
                    > 4) it's just plain annoying.
                    >
                    > -Darrel
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
                      Level 7
                      The policy itself is a standard
                      > policy indicating that we strive on accuracy and timeliness of items
                      > published,
                      > but that the website, in itself, does not take precedence of any
                      > information
                      > available at our office.

a) The website is completely the wrong forum for that kind of policy

b) if they keep the website up-to-date, the precedence issue is a non-issue

c) they sound highly inexperienced about how to attract visitors to websites

--
                      Regards

John Waller

• 8. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
                        joeq Level 1
                        without knowing the content of the site and the sensitivity of the subject matter, you're all talking out of your respective *****. they may not care about search engines, they may have nothing to "sell" (a la walmart), and they might not care about the random web searcher who stumbles upon their site. (that said, it begs the question as to whether or not a password-protected site might be more suitable than simply an 'i agree' checkbox.)

there are few things more annoying and more amateurish than rushing to the "my client is an idiot" assumption.
                        • 9. Re: Check "Agree" to Continue
                          Level 7
                          > there are few things more annoying and more amateurish than rushing to the
                          > "my
                          > client is an idiot" assumption.

It's an idiotic suggestion. Maybe they're brilliant people, but in the
                          context of the web, it's a bad idea.

-Darrel