5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 7:59 PM by Dave Merchant

Toolbars in Reader X

HorizontalBoring

I have about 18 users in remote locations that use Adobe Documents that were created with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro on their touchscreen Laptops.  These users fill in the forms and then sign the file before sending them on to the next person.

Currently we use Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro at the office and Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 on the laptops.  I have some Javascript that sends fills in the email, saves the file and send it on.  The documents are enabled for commenting.  Everything works great with Version 9.

I have all things working with Acrobat Reader X, except for the life of me I cannot put the pencil and eraser on the toolbar for the remote users.  We put it there for quick access in version 9 and would like the same in X.

I know I can select “Comment” / “Drawing Markups” and click the pencil and it works.  Or I can go to “Extended” / “Apply Ink Signature” and it works.  What I want is to add either of those to the toolbar so it is a one click process.

If I right click on the toolbar, go to “Comment”, the only things there are “Sticky Note” and “Highlight Text”.  “Show All Comment Tools” is grayed out and I can’t select it.

What am I missing???

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Toolbars in Reader X
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If I right click on the toolbar, go to “Comment”, the only things there are “Sticky Note” and “Highlight Text”.  “Show All Comment Tools” is grayed out and I can’t select it.

What am I missing???

When “Sticky Note” and “Highlight Text” is enabled then “Show All Comment Tools” is grayed out.

• 2. Re: Toolbars in Reader X
            HorizontalBoring Level 1

Ok I see that now, I was thinking that the "Show All Comment Tools" would allow me to see a listing of all selections that I could choose from.  Example, when you select "Comment" from the toolbar, I would see the Annotations, Drawing Markups, etc. 

So how do I go about getting the Pencil or Apply Ink Signature to show like I was able to in Reader 9?

• 3. Re: Toolbars in Reader X
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So how do I go about getting the Pencil or Apply Ink Signature to show like I was able to in Reader 9?

Not possible.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Toolbars in Reader X
                HorizontalBoring Level 1

Ok, I figured it out via Reg Edit.  Only problem that I see so far is... Reseting the toolbar removes it.

I added the following

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\cFavoritesCommandsDesktop]

"a0"="Ink"

"a1"="EraseInk"

• 5. Re: Toolbars in Reader X
                  Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As explained, there's no official Quick Tools area in Adobe Reader X so there's no way to customize the default set of tools. You can add new toolbar entries via the registry or plist but they won't survive a reset, and the user can't replace them via the UI. It's an undocumented feature that's useful for certain types of plugin that need their own button on the toolbar, and not intended to be a working Quick Tools system as we have in Acrobat X.