10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 2:47 PM by rinkrat1966

PRE9 Video Transition issue

rinkrat1966

Hi all

I am using PRE9 V9.01 

I am trying to add any of the video transitions to clips.  Any of the transitions are not working properly.  For example on the very basic 3D transitions I am seeing a transition between clips but it is transitioning from the OLD CLIP to the NEW CLIP incorrectly.  The OLD clip is the transition image and at the end the NEW clip just pops in rather than starting the transition with the NEW CLIP and slowing transitioning out of the OLD CLIP.

I tried numerous revisions before and after cut did not make a different.  I moved the trasition to start at center and same thing.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you provide a screen-cap of your Timeline, zoomed to the two Clips in question, with the Transition in place, and the CTI (Current Time Indicator) on it, but on the second Clip - the one that is not behaving well? Seeing the Program Monitor in that, or another screen-cap would be useful.

Good luck, and thank you for those screen-caps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill.

Zoom into that area of the timeline. You may find a stray frame or two of another clip between your two main clips.

• 3. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You may find a stray frame or two of another clip between your two main clips.

Or perhaps a Frame, or two, from the next, but Deleted scene, that appears due to lack of Handles. For more discussion on Handles, see this ARTICLE. Might be helpful, or maybe not.

Just thinking here.

Hunt

• 4. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
                rinkrat1966 Level 1

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback.  For some reason PRE9 is not opening any longer so I had to uninstall and reinstall but same issue.  I will work on this today and get back to you

Thanks

• 5. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
                  rinkrat1966 Level 1

Premier 9 does not work anymore after reinstalling so I tried this in Premier Pro CS5.5 and the same thing happens.  FYI this Complete clip was broken into smaller clips in order to insert the transitions.  This problem does not happen when using 2 distinct image files rather than creating multiple clips from 1 file.

Premier 1.JPGPremier 2.JPG

• 6. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue

Apparently the transition is entirely over your first clip and not over the second at all. Try dragging it so that it is over both clips or change the Alignment in the Transition Properties panel to Center at Cut.

The reason it's not centerring automatically is because you haven't got any extra footage beyond your clips that it can use to create the transition.

Try trimming a second off the end of the first clip and a second off the beginning of the next. Then, when you add the transition, it should center right at the cut automatically and all should be well.

• 7. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
                      rinkrat1966 Level 1

No luck, when centered it does the same thing.  I want the transition to start as follows; old scene last frame then the transition starts with the new clip 1st frame till the trasition is over and starts at the new clip frame 1 or so.

Here is the center cut

1.JPG2.JPG

I believe it should be start at cut "correct"?

• 8. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For most Transitions to work, the first Clip, let's call it Clip A, must have Handles, equal to the Duration of the Transition, and this is done by setting that Clip's Out Point, to allow for the Handles. Then, for the adjoining Clip, Clip B, one needs to establish Handles for it too, by Trimming it, with the In Point.

If there are not adequate Handles, most Transitions will not function properly.

Handles are the reason that a videographer starts the recording, before the necessary action, and then continues to record, after that necessary action has ended. This leaves a few seconds of Frames, that can be used for Handles.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue

Exactly what I recommended, Bill.

But we could be dealing with another issue two though.

rinkrat, are these two different clips -- or did you just slice through one clip and put a transition over the slice? If the latter is what you did, your transition won't work right because, well, you're essentially transitioning from a clip to itself. And that's kind of what the screen caps look like you're doing.

• 10. Re: PRE9 Video Transition issue
                            rinkrat1966 Level 1

Steve and Bill,

YES I added the transition to the slice.

Now this all started when I imported a 44 min avi from my camcorder into PRE9.  Typically it would break the avi into mutliples and I would just easily insert the transitions and they worked perfectly.  I am not sure why this particular avi was not imported into multiple clips.  I then did the auto smart tagging which broke the original 9GB file into multiple clips inside PRE9 but not on my HDD.

I was always using PRE7 for videos but wanted to try PRE9 after PRE8 was a disaster.  And I do have Premier CS5.5 also but never got too involved with it.

Thanks for the help, I will reimport into PRE7 tonight and see what happens

Thanks