16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 9:03 AM by b0st0n20

Build new system...what's compatible?

b0st0n20

Hi, I've been editing wedding videos for a few years now, but I only know how to use the programs - I'm interested in building a new system/ computer, but I don't know how to build a computer or know what is compatible with what.  I am asking a friend (who knows computers) to help me build it.

My current computer is fairly old (from 2005) so I wanted to start brand new.

Currently, I use Windows XP, Adobe Premiere 6.5, Matrox RTX.100 video editing card, and (I think) an Asus graphics card...again, I'm not familiar with the components of a computer, so please bear with me.

I was told to stick with my Matrox RTX.100 because it is still in good condition & wouldn't need to be changed out, but then I would have to stick with Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and Windows XP.  This person told me that because I don't do HD video or Blu-Ray, I would not need to upgrade to the new Premieres...CS4, CS5, etc.  He also said that Matrox RTX.100 is compatible with Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, at the highest.

I guess what I am asking is...can someone help me understand...if it's possible, to go all new, the newest Matrox video editing card, which Adobe Premiere programs & grapics cards are compatible.  I use a Panasonic AG-DV250 to play my DV tapes & capture them through a 1394 port.

Since I am starting fresh with a computer, I don't want to recycle old parts (video editing card, hard drives, etc.).  I just really need to know which video editing cards are good, which OS, which Adobe Premiere programs (also Photoshop, Encore, & wedding transitions) are good.

I'm sorry if I'm too vague or that I don't understand enough...but please, if possible, any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

• 1. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Matrox is IMO only good for its designed purpose, that the engineers put a lot of effort in, as a DOORSTOP. If you want a new system, suitable for CS5.5 and beyond, lose Matrox  and go from there with a clear budget. If yoiu have that, some may have a suggestion or two for you.

• 2. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
            b0st0n20 Level 1

Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I recently spoke with someone at B&H Photo/ Video & they gave me the following suggestions:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/793044-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_QN561AA_ABA_Pavilion_E lite_h8_1030_Desktop.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746425-REG/Rain_Computers_Inc_FR_STP_02_Stratus_Pro_ Video_Production.html

Would these be something I could use my video editing?  Are these of good quality?  Do I need any extra components?

Again, thank you in advance for your help.

• 3. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, both are lousy suggestions. Way underpowered if you want to  move to HD in the future. If you are sure you will only be editng DV material in the future the second option is the one to go for, but I suggest you have a look at http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ to see what they offer and then contact Eric Bowen and confer with him about your requirements.

• 4. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                b0st0n20 Level 1

I'm not exactly a professional (I don't do this for a living).  I edit wedding videos & my clients have always been satisfied with the work I've previously done (Adobe Premiere 6.5 since 2005 until now).

That being said, do you think those 2 suggestions from B&H would be sufficient for someone like me?  I'd like to spend ~$1.5k, if possible...

They also told me that with those suggestions, I would not need my Matrox RTX.100 video editing card...is this true?  I'm just afraid because I don't know a lot about computers, & I'm just concerned with compatability between video editing cards, graphic cards, quality of video when capturing (I capture via a 1394 port), & the Adobe Premiere programs.

Thank you again for your help, Mr. Millaard!

• 5. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I suggest you go to the overview tab at the top of the page and read the FAQ section. Then read more on this forum on system builds and you will get a lot wiser.

My initial reactions are to go for an i7-2600/2700 Z-68 system with 16 GB memory and a GTX 560+ video card and three separate disks. If you build yourself, you can stay within budget, if you opt for a ready to go system, calculate on a higher price. You can lose the Matrox. I only use it as a doorstop and it never was better than in that role.

• 6. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

In addition to what Harm stated, Premiere Pro 6.5 is now severely outdated: It may not run properly, if at all, on a 64-bit OS (required for any system with more than 3GB of RAM). So yes, you will need a newer version of Premiere Pro if you're going with a newer OS, especially an x64 OS.

And if your new build requires a new OS, figure on spending an extra $300 just for the OS (OEM and system builder copies of Windows, at least here in the U.S., are legally not supposed to be retained by any DIY builder for his own personal use, but rather the entire PC build that's using such a copy of the OS, including the software itself, is supposed to be resold to someone else). Therefore, if you are building your own system for your own personal use, you are supposed to buy only full, non-upgrade retail copies of Windows (this means that Windows 7 Professional by itself will cost all of $300).

And figure on spending an additional $2,000 to $3,000 just for the Adobe software (if you need an up-to-date Adobe productivity suite). This is on top of the cost of the OS and parts.

As a result, you are not looking at a ~$1.5k investment - but instead, your investment will cost $4.5k to $5k. And even if you just get Premiere Pro CS5.5, your investment will still be close to $3k.

• 7. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                      b0st0n20 Level 1

I will definitely read up on other forums.

So, if I understand correctly, will the GTX-560+ video card be compatible with the Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5?  I guess that is what I am concerned with.

I've bought computers (ready-to-go system) where, when capturing, I get a green-ish, jumpy picture.  I was told this was due to the video card.

Later, I was told that as long as there is a firewire 1394 port, what is on tape is what I will capture, is this correct?  Or it is strictly dependent on the video editing card?  If so, according to Mr. Millaard, I should set my Matrox aside and go for a different video card, such as the GTX 560+?  & that will definitely be compatible with the newest Adobe Premiere Pro software?  Will that also be compatible w/ Windows 7?  I think that is my biggest concern - compatibility.  With all the new components and software available, I'm nervous with trying something new.

The Adobe software...is this to which you are referring to? 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765438-REG/Adobe_65114058_Production_Premium_CS5_5_f or.html

Thank you for your help, Mr. Millaard and RjL 190365, it is most appreciated.

• 8. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                        RjL190365 Level 4

Well, the Production Premium version is all you need if you're going to build a strictly video editing system. In that case, the total cost of the i7-2700K build including three hard drives, 16GB of RAM, a GTX 560 to 570 card and Windows 7 Pro (retail non-upgrade) and the CS5.5 Production Premium suite will total just under $3k.

And go with a relatively large, roomy case with good airflow such as a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced if you're going to build it yourself. Also, do not skimp on the PSU: Cheap PSUs often cannot deliver their full advertised wattage. Go with at least a 750W PSU from a known good name brand such as Corsair or Antec, preferably with an 80 Plus Gold certification.

• 9. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                          b0st0n20 Level 1

So you suggest 16GB of RAM then?

I was told by someone, for the amount of work I do (which, again, is very minimal, hence the veryyyyy old Premiere 6.5), that 3GB of RAM would be sufficient enough for me.

For just a common user like me, on average, what is a good amount of RAM?

Thank you again for your help, RjL 190365

• 10. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                            RjL190365 Level 4

The reason why we recommend at least 8GB for a build like that is because not only 64-bit apps take full advantage of that much RAM, but also RAM is relatively cheap nowadays (for example, 16GB of good name-brand RAM via four 4GB sticks now cost about $90 to $100 total).

• 11. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                              b0st0n20 Level 1

Ok, so I want to make sure...in order to get a good start on building this, the following would help:

• at least 8GB of RAM (suggested is 16GB of RAM)
                              • Windows 7 OS (retail, non-upgrade)
                              • i7 - 2600/ 2700
                              • GTX 560+ or 570 video card
                              • 3 hard drives
                              • Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5
                              • at least 750W PSU
                              • roomy case

What would be a good graphics card that would be compatible w/ the above? 

I'm so grateful, thank you for your patience & help, RjL190365!

• 12. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                                RjL190365 Level 4

Just don't get some off-brand graphics card because such companies offer indifferent to no technical support (if something goes wrong).

As for Windows 7 Pro, sure, you can use other editions such as the Upgrade version or a system builder version. It's just that I will not suggest it because I don't want to be held liable for any violations of the EULA. Plus, for an Upgrade copy of Windows to be legitimate, a previous retail copy of Windows must have been activated and running on that same system before the upgrade takes place.

• 13. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                                  b0st0n20 Level 1

I understand about the Windows situation.

This is another silly question (I'm sure your patience is running low, so I won't bother you too much further), but what would be a good motherboard for the above components?

B&H wanted to sell me the following, but which Mr. Millaard told me were 'lousy'...so could you suggest a good motherboard?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/793044-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_QN 561AA_ABA_Pavilion_Elite_h8_1030_Desktop.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746425-REG/Rain_Computers_Inc_FR _STP_02_Stratus_Pro_Video_Production.html

Thank you again!

• 14. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                                    RjL190365 Level 4

One of the motherboards that I'm suggesting right now would be an Asus P8Z68V PRO because it has two extra SATA 6.0 Gbps ports (in addition to the standard two SATA 6.0 Gbps ports and four SATA 3.0 Gbps ports native to the Z68 chipset) and one onboard Firewire 400 (IEEE 1394a) port (plus a header for an additional case- or backplane-mounted Firewire 400 port).

• 15. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                                      b0st0n20 Level 1

Would it be possible for you to provide me with a link for the onboard Firewire 400 port and the header or backplane 1394 port? 

I think I know what you are talking about, but I would like to make sure since you are so very knowledgable with this.

Your help is very much appreciated, RjL 190365!

• 16. Re: Build new system...what's compatible?
                                        b0st0n20 Level 1

I understand that Mr. Millaard does not approve of the Matrox items...

Currently, in my old system, I use Matrox's effects to alter my video in some aspects (brightness/ contrast, speed, audio, Matrox "advance" effects, Matrox "mask" effects", "page curls", etc....would any of the components listed above (I believe the GTX-560+) have these features as well?

Thank you for your help.