8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 2:55 PM by ashmic19

How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?

ashmic19 Level 1

Hi,

I created a notecard in Photoshop and need to put two on a page in InDesign CS3. I placed the graphic on the page but it's way larger than the designated paper size. I tried going to Object>Fitting to fix the problem but nothing happened. So I tried manually setting the height and width I needed the image to be on the page and it resized the image okay but I couldn't see the entire image within the new size. So my question is how do I place an image, get it to the dimensions I need (see dimensions below) and add two to a page?

FYI: The paper size is: 8.5 x 11 inches. The graphics are 4.25 x 5.5 inches. I need to print two to a page.

Thanks for the help.

ashmic

• 1. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
          M Blackburn Level 3

You have to bear in mind that  images are placed in frames. When you attempted to size the the image, what in fact you sized was the frame. Then the image no longer fit the frame (because it had not been scaled with the frame). Select the image via the Donut in the middle or use the Direct Selection Tool to select the image. Then the scaling will refer to the content.

Conversely, you can scale the frame to the desired and then use the Fitting Options. Note that the fitting options include fitting content to frame and fitting frame to content, so if you have the frame at the correct size you will likely want Fit Content Proportionally.

You can also transform the frame and content together by holding the Command key.

• 2. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
            Michael Gianino Level 4

To add to M Blackburn's advise, the two selection tools will change what you can do.

The Selection tool (solid black arrow) will allow you to select the frame itself. It will only select the content if you click on the donut. When the frame is selected, you will see the frame with handles on the corners and centers of lines, and it will be in the color designated to the layer. The default color for layer one is blue, but this can be changed, so don't be thrown if it isn't blue for some reason. Dragging the handles will change the size and placement of the frame, and when moved toward the image, will crop it. Holding the shift key while dragging a handle will keep the frame within proportion (a 3"x5" rectangle will remain 3 units by 5 units, although those units will be larger or smaller than an inch, depending on whether you enlarge or shrink the frame).

The Direct Selection tool (white arrow) will select the content, rather than the frame. When selecting the content, you will see the handles on a bounding box around the content, and the color will be light brown. Dragging a handle will change the size of the image, and you can also drag the whole image to move it in relation to the frame, which can be used to crop the image as well. Holding shift will keep the image size proportional.

You should take notice of whether the frame color or the content color is what you see, because double-clicking with the Selection tool will toggle between frame and content, the way clicking within the donut will allow content to be edited while the Selection tool is active.

If you want to view the image size as a percentage, using the Direct Selection tool is what you want. If you use the Selection tool, you will see the percentage of the frame, which will change while you are dragging it, but as soon as you release the mouse button, it will show 100%. Switching to the Direct Selection tool will show you the percentage of reduction or enlargement of the image itself, and if the X and Y aren't the same, your image is out of proportion.

Lastly, the shift key, along with Command will probably be what you will use the most, as it will allow you to drag a corner of the frame of a placed image with the Selection tool and proportionally resize the content along with the frame.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Guys, there is no Donut (content grabber) in CS3, so I hope you haven't hopelessly confused the OP.

Other than that, the information provided looks to me like it is valid for CS3 as well as the newer versions. I think the fitting options and the dragging with a modifier are probably the most useful techniques, but it's also useful to know the Scale tool will affect both frame an content together, as will entering a value into the Width or Height fields inthe Transform or Control palettes.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
                Michael Gianino Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

Guys, there is no Donut (content grabber) in CS3…

I'd like to respond with two quotes:

"Oops!"

-Rick Perry, via Fox News

"A flute with no holes, is not a flute…and a donut with no hole, is a danish."

-The Zen Philosopher Basha, via Caddyshack

• 5. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
                  ashmic19 Level 1

M. Blackburn - Thanks for helping me to get the gist of it. I was able to get it to do what I needed to so thanks. Peter Spier was right I didn't see any donut but I figured it out nonetheless.

• 6. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
                    ashmic19 Level 1

Michael G. - Thanks for all of the additional information you provided. It definitely cleared up a lot of confusion I had regarding how to use those tools in InDesign so thanks! I take it that how you choose to view the image (ie: percentage, etc.) is all just a preference? I use a PC so the the command key would be....? My brother said it would be the CTRL key on a PC. Is that right?

• 7. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ashmic19 wrote:

Peter Spier was right

Please tell that to my wife.

Yes, in general the Cmd key on Mac and Ctrl key on PC serve the same functions.

• 8. Re: How do I place an image from PS into InDesign?
                        ashmic19 Level 1

@PeterSpier-

Haha! Okay great, thanks for the clarification.

-ashmic