2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 12:52 PM by Fuzzy Barsik

Dynamic Link for upgrade?

WebspinnerVII

I currently have standalone versions of Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop. I was thinking of upgrading to Production Premium or Master Collection because of the Dynamic Link feature, and because I need a few of the other programs. It seems that it may save me some hard drive space going from AE to PP, instead of having to render out each clip. I would just like to know how valuable this feature is in this regard. Can the Dynamic Link Server preserve the 3D effects, such as camera moves, from AE to PP? I use a lot of 3D space and camera movements in AE and it is essential that the Dynamic Link feature preserve them in PP. I did some searches around the web but haven't been able to find a definitive answer so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Dynamic Link for upgrade?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Everything you do in After Effects, whether it's included in AE or a third-party add-on, e.g. effect, will be piped through Dynamic Link. It's essentially like importing a rendered-out, flattened version of your comp, without the rendering and it's live, so any change you make in AE is immediately updated in Pr.

The trade-off is that a Dynamic Linked AE comp will seldom playback in realtime. It sounds like your AE comps are fairly complicated, so it's fairly likely that this will be the case for you. Still, if you don't need to know how your comp plays back in relation to anything else in your sequence, Dynamic Link can save lots of time and hard drive space.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Link for upgrade?
            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

You may also find this thread useful.

Some points about Dynamic Link workflow are clarified there (read up to the end).