11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 3:27 AM by Aniks

Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"

jdtrent

Hi,

I moved from an XP system with PE 7 to Windows 7. That didn't work out well so I upgraded to PE 10 and got the 64 bit version.

On the previous computer, I had my projects on the "E:" drive, a secondary hard disk, and I also had an "F:" disk. On the new one, the only hard disk is the "C:" drive and I put the folders from E and F on C.

So where I had files called:

"E:\Marketing\Video\Project A"

I have:

"C:\E\Marketing\Video\Project A"

InDesign and Illustrator are smart enough to recognize the change and find the links. But not PE. I have to do a search on each file name when it asks where they are, and they are not all in the same folder.

Is there a way to search/replace these links? Or another, easier way? I have lots of projects and don't look forward to fixing all the links one at a time.

Thanks,

Joe

• 1. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have Moved files and Projects to a new disc, the links to those Assets have been broken in the PREL (Project) file, which is an XML database with links and instructions - no media. Those links are Absolute Paths, meaning that if anything changes, including the drive letter, the Path no longer points to the necessary files.

PrE is asking for help, to re-establish those links, when it displays "Where is file ____ ?" It offers the Finder to help you navigate to the new drive, folder, etc., and find that missing file. Then, it re-establishes the link to match the new location. It will then look in that folder, and re-link to all Assets used in the Project. If you have files spread around, you will need to repeat the process, and re-link Assets in all folders.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, there's a better way to do it than  you did it, Joe. If you'd have used the program's Project Archiver feature, you could have moved all your files over without losing the links betwen them.

But oh well.

When you open an old project file for the first time it will ask for help locating the media files. Once you browse to one, the program should see all of the others in that folder and add them automatically. If they're in a bunch of different folders, however, you'll have to track them down one at a time, unfortunately.

BTW, you aren't opening projects created by earlier versions of the program in version 10, are you? That may possibly work if the projects were created in version 9. 9 and 10 are pretty close. But generally, if you open a project created in an older version of the program with a newer version of the program, you get buggy behavior and sometimes total corruption.

So if you're doing that, make sure you keep a copy of the original project file some place so that you can go back to it with an older version of the program is things start going wacky.

• 3. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
              jdtrent Level 1

Okay. I was afraid of that. The other Adobe products figured it out, and I hoped Premiere would too.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                jdtrent Level 1

Steve: I'll go back and try the archiver. That might just fix me up.

Yes, I'm going from version 7 to version 10. I loaded 7 on the Windows 7 machine, but it didn't work well so I went to version 10.

Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Which other Adobe products?

One difference between PrE and PrPro, and most other programs, is that those two video-editing programs use an XML database to link to Assets. Photoshop only cares where the Image files ARE, and there is no linking. Same with Illustrator. Now, if one has a project in InDesign, with linked Assets, those links will also be broken, and need to be re-established.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                    jdtrent Level 1

Bill,

The Illustrator and InDesign projects opened up and found all the links. The files are in various folders.

The old main folder was:

E:/Marketing/

Various subfolders were similar to:

E:/Marketing/Pictures/2010/20101001 Demo/

E:/Marketing/Catalog/Section B/Product Name/

Links come from these and other folders in a single project.

The new main folder is:

C:/E/Marketing/ and has the same subfolders.

I didn't expect this behavior in Illustrator and InDesign. I figured I would have to relink all photos and Illustrator files (it's easier than PrE anyway). It just worked automagically.

Joe

• 7. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                      jdtrent Level 1

Steve,

By the way, how else would I move projects forward among versions? I have a lot of them I may need to revisit and modify.

• 8. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In my experience, you can almost never open an older version project in a newer version of the program without getting buggy behavior.

About all you can do is finish your work in the same version of the program you started it in. That's my recommendation anyway. Sorry I can't recommend something more advanced, but I've fouled one too many project files trying.

• 9. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Absolute Path of links in InDesign have changed, then one must re-establish those links. Just like PrE, InDesign uses Absolute Paths, for the links.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                            jdtrent Level 1

Bill, I expected to have to relink all the files placed in my InDesign and Illustrator projects, but did not have to. It replaced all "E:\Marketing\..." with "C:\E\Marketing\..."

Cool.

On PrE, I made a copy of the .PREL file (thanks for the information) and opened it it in Notepad, then did a find/replace. Worked great. Is there something wrong with doing this?

Thanks,

Joe

• 11. Re: Moved projects to new disc, get "Where is the File?"
                              Aniks Level 2

In case like yours, Project Archiver works best. It not only brings all your used clips in an organized single folder, but also removes the files which you imported but did not use in the project and forgot to delete it. This archiver is the best way if you want from one computer to another.

The editing in notepad is also a good idea, but i think it would be a good idea to save a copy first in case it gets corrupted.