7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 9:25 AM by the_wine_snob

movie on screen during edit

caseywilson@verizon.net

Hello,

CS-4 PreE9   Confession: I'm totally new with PreE ---treat me nice, please

I seem to have tripped a switch someplace that prevents me from seeing the moving video on the screen while I'm editing or playing back. All I see are stills. If I click on the screen the image jumps to where ever the ???(indes/timing) bar has advanced to. Sound seems to track. I tried doing the Ctrl+Shift+Alt during startup to reset all defaults. That doesn't seem to help or do anything.

Regards,

Casey

• 1. Re: movie on screen during edit
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you in Sceneline mode? Click on the tab along the top of the timeline to switch back to Timeline mode.

• 2. Re: movie on screen during edit
            caseywilson@verizon.net Level 1

Thanks for the hint, Steve. Switched to Timeline with no success.

• 3. Re: movie on screen during edit

Then you're going to have to do a better job describing your situation, Casey. It's not clear what you're describing.

Meantime, are there red lines above the video clips on your timeline? If so, you need to press Enter to render the timeline. Once the timeline is rendered, those red lines will turn green and your video should play more smoothly.

If you're continually seeing red lines above the clips on your timeline, your project is not set up properly to work with your current video.

• 4. Re: movie on screen during edit
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Casey,

Can you post a screen-cap of the PrE GUI (Graphical User Interface), and perhaps annotate what you are missing?

Sometimes, a picture IS worth 1000 words.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: movie on screen during edit
                  caseywilson@verizon.net Level 1

Thanks for a response, Bill. Note that the scene displayed in the first screeen capture is from the first (?)clip in the timeline. This is actually a time-lapse of a cloud front, but the image on the screen is frozen near the beginning of the action. Note that the (?)timing index is in the last clip, actually 00:01:40 downstream while the image displayed hasn't changed. If I left-click with the cursor in the cloud scene, the image (second screen capture) shifts to a still frame in the cliip where the index is. If I pause the action and drag the time index with the cursor, the scene on the screen changes with the location of the index.

I hope I made sense here. I'm not familiar with the jargon yet.

Screen Cap 1.jpg:Screen Cap 2.jpg

• 6. Re: movie on screen during edit

Casey, are you talking about the thumbnail images that appear on the clips on the timeline? There are multiple ways to view them.

You're not talking about the video that plays in the Monitor panel, right?

• 7. Re: movie on screen during edit
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Casey,

It looks like you have the first Clip (the Cloud formation) Selected. It also looks like you are in the Source Monitor for that Clip.

To the right of that Monitor, you have some Tabs. Click on the Edit Tab, with no Clips Selected. What do you get? It should be the Program Monitor. The two look almost exactly alike, with only some visible differences (will go back and study your screen-caps in a bit more detail). The Source Monitor is used to preview (and also do some editing, like Trimming), while the Program Monitor is used to display the Timeline.

Back in a few minutes,

Hunt

[Edit] When I blew things up in PS, it is definitely the Program Monitor, that you are showing - sorry about that.