Soo Slow!!!

crowninb

I just recently bought a brand new dell with

I7 2630qm 2.0 with megaboost 3.0

8gb ram

geforce gt 555m

1080p 17inch screen

jbl wave speakers

I looked at the specs to run Adobe premier elements 10 and they are far exceeded form the above. Even though this is the case i still run into very slow editing, choppy play back and freezing. I am curious if anyone knows any tricks or ways that i can speed up the editing. It is mighty frustrating that i can play a high end video game at 24 to 35fps but i cant handle this software.

crowninb

• 1. Re: Soo Slow!!!
          Ted Smith Level 3

Are you using Windows7 32 or 64 bit?

• 2. Re: Soo Slow!!!
            crowninb Level 1

i have windows 7 premium 64bit

• 3. Re: Soo Slow!!!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Something is very wrong somewhere, crowninb. If you're using the program correctly, it should fly on that machine!

What model of camcorder is your video coming from? Have you ensured that when you started your Premiere Elements project, you set it up to perfectly match the specs of the video from that cam? If you did, you should not see red lines above the clips you place on the timeline until you add effects to them. Is that the case in your situation?

If your camcorder shoots in more than one format, you must also make sure that it's shooting in a format that's compatible with Premiere Elements. As I've said, when your video specs match your project specs, your computer should be able to edit it without even working up a sweat.

• 4. Re: Soo Slow!!!
                Ted Smith Level 3

Do you have a red line in the area of the timeline?

Depending on the edit and effects you have edited or if your original matierial did not conform to your original project specifications, you will always get jumpiness (when the red line is visible).

Toi remove the red line you have to "render" at least the area concerned

I have a setup like yours and it previews perfectly smoothly all areas without the red line.

If you have other applications loaded or utilities (including virus checkers running) running in the background this will also create jumpiness. (Check with Task bar etc)

Some video cards don't like 2 monitors running.

• 5. Re: Soo Slow!!!
                  crowninb Level 1

thanks for all the help

i am new at this and learning on the fly since i have to get this project done by next monday and dont have the luxury or time to read about all of it etc. so i appreciate your help. i

To start things off i am using a avi of a animated movie. i am not using this to reproduce etc just wanted to make sure that i could in fact mess around with movies of this nature. i am doing narrating etc. so i guess i will have to figure out what you mean by matching it up. i just created new file inserted the movie and then started hacking it up and adding a few video captures etc. i want to be able to then transfer over some videos of mine from a sony bloggie etc.

i will look further into what this red line is in the timeline section and get back to you

thanks again

crowninb

• 6. Re: Soo Slow!!!
                    Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Hope that AVI is not "uncompressed" AVI. That would definitely be the wrong format to try to edit.

It would help everyone if you could ascertain the codec that is used. You might be able to use Premiere Elements to find out what the codec is. Right-click on the clip's thumbnail in the Project > Media panel and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Copy the information and paste it in your next post. It will have information about the video and audio codecs inside the AVI wrapper.

• 7. Re: Soo Slow!!!
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As everyone says, crowinb, an "AVI" does not define the file. It merely says what format the outer shell is in. What matters is the codec, frame rate, dimensions, PAR, etc. Unfortunately, you'll need to give us much more information in order for us to be able to give you any specific help.

Apparently this video was not captured from a miniDV camcorder. Where did this video come from?

Try opening the video in a program like G Spot. Then either list the information it provides or, even better, post a screen capture of the video information screen so we can see what codec, frame rate, dimensions, PAR, etc. this file is using.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Using a compatible video setting up your project to match those video specs are vital steps to a successful project. Do it right and things will work effortlessly.

Meantime, since you're relatively new, you may want to check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. This really isn't the kind of program you just want to jump into and start rooting around. But once you get the basics down, the rest should go smooth as silk.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

• 8. Re: Soo Slow!!!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

One set of specs., that I did not see above, was the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on the I/O, and its importance.

As for AVI, that is but a wrapper, and can contain a lot of "stuff," as Ted and Steve allude. This ARTICLE goes into a lot more detail, plus outlines how to get the specs. of your AVI.

As for general slowness, read down in this ARTICLE, to Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine. Most commercially built computers come with tons of bloatware, and most of it interfers with tasks, such as video editing. The beginning of the article is a checklist of general things to do to get PrE running well, and then the remainder is a series of links to other articles, many of which are very useful to setting up and tuning a computer for video editing. Don't be put off by the linked article's name - though you are not experiencing crashes, or hangs, you might not be getting 100% performance out of your machine either.

Last, for general tips on working with PrE, HERE is a list of resources to learn.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Soo Slow!!!
                          Aniks Level 2

It might be the problem with the file you are using. Just to see whether PRE is indeed a problem or not, you can try importing the sample video file Wildlife.wmv. The playback etc might not live upto the expectation, but at least you would know about the speed and all.

The red line simply means when you dropped the movie file on timeline, just on the boundary of the timeline you might/might not see a red line (depending on the settings of project and your clip) If you can check that, we might have a better insight into your problem.

Aniks