5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 7:28 AM by the_wine_snob

8mm, Super 8mm +16mm project

wildhosser Level 1

I have been fairly sucessful using PreElements9, and I am having 2 related problems with 2 new projects. The first one, is that I am going to use elements9 to capture 16mm, Super 8mm & 8mm film. If anyone remembers, there was no audio available for the 8mm version, and this is what I am starting with. I have some of the 8mm saved in various files in my Windows 7, 64 bit computer in 'my documents'. When I click on 'Get Media', then I go to one of those files, click on it and open at bottom of screen. The computer sends it to the project screen. One time I double-clicked on the scene or file box, and the computer(using windows), spit out a dialog box. It read, (in essence) trying to find audio, and when I clicked on the dialog box, the computer went into search mode, looking for an answer. Do I have to go back into the project settings, and make an adjustment for a lack of embedded audio?

The 2nd question has to do with a different project that is using audio/video files(from Super 8mm film & 16mm) and video files(8mm) that have no embedded audio. How do I go about making both these av files formats and video-only files compatible, so that my computer doesn't go beserk on me? Can I add music to the 8mm files as I am piecing this project together?  

• 1. Re: 8mm, Super 8mm +16mm project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The most important thing to know is what file format and codecs were used in your captured film.

Did you videotape them yourself with a miniDV camcorder or did you have a professional do it?

Unfortunately, most professionals do a great job of telecining the film -- but they don't save it to an editable format. They may save it to a DVD or to an AVI using some obnoxious hard to edit codec like Cineform or Divx. The audio (even though there technically is none) may also have been saved in a codec that's even harder to edit, which would explain the error messages you're seeing.

Open one of your video clips in a program like G Spot and list all of the specs (video codec, audio codec, format, frame rate, frame dimensions, PAR, etc.) or, better yet, post a screen capture of the G Spot report to this forum. That will tell us what kind of beast we're up against!

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Even if you shot the film yourself using a camcorder, unless you shot it on minDV, you may have captured or saved it to a format that may not be compatible with Premiere Elements.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 8mm, Super 8mm +16mm project
            Ted Smith Level 3

By the way is there a good (hopefully almost free) program that will convert DVD VOB back to editable AVI with the right codec?

• 3. Re: 8mm, Super 8mm +16mm project
              nealeh Level 5

PRE itself can do that, import from DVD and Share to DV-AVI Type 2

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: 8mm, Super 8mm +16mm project
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve points out, the key to answering your questions will be knowing how the films were telecined, and what the resultant files really are - in great detail. This ARTICLE explains AV file formats as "wrappers," and goes into some detail, as to what can be in those, plus tells you how to find out exactly what the specs. of your files are. Knowing those specs. will be a big step in directing you, on how to proceed.

Good luck, and TIA for the info on your telecined files.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 8mm, Super 8mm +16mm project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

Look at Replies # 22 & # 23 in this ARTICLE. Those might just be what you are looking for.

As Neale points out, PrE can Import and edit VOB's, so long as they are 100% DVD-compatible. All are not, and especially if the DVD's were created on a DVR, or with certain software (one begins with an R, and ends in an O).

Good luck,

Hunt