12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 2:44 AM by Ann Bens

MP3 or Wav sound usage

Ted Smith Level 3

When editing my HD shots of San Francisco from my trip I just naturally had to include snatches of Lisa Minelli singing "Sean-fran-sis-co give me your garl-den gate" where my camera zoomed in on the bridge!

I downloaded a MP3 track and added it to the 4th upper audio track and edited the audio levels to suit.

I found this considerably reduced the speed at which I can shuttle and preview the timeline in this area and the timeline picture thumbnails dissapeared where the audio was.

I have never seen this using full stereo wav files even though they are much a larger files size.

Is it better to create a wav file out of the mp3 and use this or is there another way of integrating mp3?

An aside-

Don't forget Lisa married an Peter Allen, an Aussie like me. I own and still play the Broadwood white grand piano Peter used to first play "I go to Rio" in a Tonight show at the local TV station where I used to work at in the 1970s. I bought it from them for $100 when they later upgraded to a Steinway. The then manager didn't know any better - and all the people I worked with then are all dead now!.

• 1. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements works terribly inefficiently with MP3s, unfortunately.

Using only WAV audio files and you should have much better performance. The free download Audacity can convert your MP3s to WAVs in seconds.

• 2. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I will second Steve's suggestions. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on starting with MP3 media.

It's easy, and free, to convert MP3's to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and then Import that WAV file, for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
              Ted Smith Level 3

Thanks for the info about Audacity.

I previously used soundforge to record the played back MP3 audio but it was always messy

• 4. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                Nash_John Level 3

Great article on MP3 problems, Bill.

Ted, you can try downloading the same audio file in WAV format, rather than converting your MP3 to WAV, as WAV does also have a better quality than Mp3's.

And although these are generally greater in size than MP3's , but still take less system resources to edit.

• 5. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you Johh,

I agree completely. If music/Audio is available in WAV to begin with, that would be the best, by far, even if it's 44.1 KHz, or even 32 KHz. That would bypass the MPEG compression (MP3) in the first place, and even to my tired, old ears, that compression can be heard, and especially on a good system. This is regardless of whether a particular MP3 causes other issues, or not.

Unfortunately, nowadays it's often tough to find music, that has not been compressed in most available forms. It just depends on what is available.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 6. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                    Ted Smith Level 3

Unfortunately nearly every music track is in MP3 or on a flv from Youtube and one has to convert it.

• 7. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                      nealeh Level 5

There are many utilities that will convert audio formats. Take a look at the freeware WildFire CD Ripper on Nonags (it's the first one in the Audio Tools section). It's description includes "Additionally, WAV files on the hard drive can be converted to a Compressed Audio File (and vice versa)".

I'm not sure if WildFire supports batch processing  - but this one (also free) does: fre:ac

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

I agreen and find it very sad. I find MP3 to be a horribly compressed format, but apparently most folk do not care about fidelity, so long as they get some sort of sound.

Now, conversion will NOT restore the lost data, and if the MP3 works fine in PrE, then there is no need to convert. However, many MP3's do not work, and then conversion, say with Audacity, is the way to go.

Hunt

• 9. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                          davidpayne1981 Level 1

Do you think it's necessary to still convert mp3 to wav (as Ive been doing for years but now my music collection takes up way too much space) for use in premiere cc or is this a pointless thing to do?

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you asking about Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements?

Converting an MP3 to a WAV is not necessary. However, WAvs are much easier for Premiere Elements to work with. So a lot depends on how much power your system has, how long your project is, how many effects you've added to it, etc.

If you're getting poor performance, then often converting you music files to WAVs will resolve the issue.

• 11. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                              davidpayne1981 Level 1

sorry I meant in premiere cc 2015. I have no performance issues with either, just wanted to confirm there is no reason to convert from mp3 to wav. It wont actually increase the quality will it?

• 12. Re: MP3 or Wav sound usage
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are in the Elements forum.

But to answer your question.

If you do not have issues with mp3 there is no need to convert.

Converting mp3 to wave does not increase the quality of the audio, it is just easier to edit as wave is uncompressed opposite compressed mp3.

1 person found this helpful