8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 6:10 AM by ilikewinter

Help a beginner with Rolling Titles

ilikewinter Level 1

I have tried searching google, but I must not be using the correct keywords. I have a couple of questions:

A. I want to make my titles scroll faster but keep them on the screen longer. The only way I've seen to make them scroll faster is to reduce the amount of frames they cover- but then they disappear off the screen before I want them to. Isn't there a way to make them scroll up to a certain point more quickly and then stay there until I choose?

B. I would like to make successive bullet points that follow each other as points are made audibly (so the audio and title would be synced). I can't see a way to even create bullets and I don't see a way to animate one title at a time (or one text phrase at a time) followed by another a second or so later but still keeping the others on screen.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
          cvid01 Level 4

There are different ways of do what you want, but my method involves:

A. Make your title in Photoshop and save as either an alpha file or as a PNG file, then bring it into PrPro and use keyframes to scroll the title where you want.

B. Make each bullet point a separate title layer file and keyframe opacity as needed for the various stacked layers.

For how to use keyframes use the Help file in PrPro.

• 2. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
            Jim_Simon Level 8

There are only two ways to make titles scroll faster.  Reduce the amount of time they're on screen, or add more lines to the title.

• 3. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Cvid01 points out, using Keyframes on the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position will give you infinite control.

What you describe can be done in Titler, but I also find PS to be the better choice. While Titler CAN do longer/taller Titles, than it appears, the editing is a bit kludgy for me.

In Photoshop (PS), I just create a New Image, and choose an appropriate video Preset, say NTSC 720 x 480 Widescreen w/ Guides w/ a Transparent Background. Then, I go to Image>Canvas Size and increase the vertical x however many extra pixels I need. You can go as tall as 4096 pixels, and probably more in CS 5/5.5, but I cannot recall the limits now - besides, you should not need more than 4096.

Then, just add your Text (either Copy & Paste from a word processor, or right inside of PS with the Text Tool. For Bullet Points, use one of the filled circle ASCII characters, or maybe a font like Wingdings. You may need to play around a bit, with the spacing of the Bullet Pointed type, as you want to be able to have room and time for the animation controls.*

Export as a PSD, or PNG, and Import into PrPro. You can alter the Duration of this from the Default Stills Duration, by Click-dragging on the Tail. In Effects Control Panel, you will find the Fixed Effect>Motion. Twirl it open to reveal Scale and Position. Use Motion>Position to do your animation via Keyframes. You can speed up the Motion>Position Effect over time, or slow it down - even stopping it.

Good luck,

Hunt

* For ease of animation, and the syncing of the Bullet Points to audio, you might want to do each in a separate Layer, for even greater control. If so, then you will want to Save_As a PSD (with the Layers), and Import as a Sequence into PrPro, to have those Layers still available, to animate, as required.

PS - if you wish to add SFX for the Bullet Points, there are some good sources of Audio in this ARTICLE.

PPS - for those Bullet Points, if they are on separate Layers, you might want to animate them (at least how the come onto the screen) in another way, besides a Motion>Position "roll." I am thinking of having the POP onto the screen (Motion>Scale quickly from 0% to 100%). Just thinking here.

• 4. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
                Mortimer IOU Level 2

What the Premiere titler lacks in elegance and versatility, compared to Photoshop, some would say it makes up for in clunkiness. However one thing the titler does do in a very straight-forward way is rolling titles.

To do A in the titler -- make your still title, then make a duplicate. Then do your roll on one of them leaving "end off screen" unchecked. Place the rolling title first at the speed you want, and follow it immediately with the still duplicate.

To do bullets in the titler -- use the ALT symbol alt+7. This will give you a bullet you can resize as desired.

For the rest of B -- make each still title with the bullet phrase located where you want it to end up, then do as in A, placing each pair on an upper track

I made a sample video of this process which, if I understood you correctly, will do what you want.

http://www.belfastcommunitytv.org/TitleSample.wmv

ilikewinter wrote:

I have tried searching google, but I must not be using the correct keywords. I have a couple of questions:

A. I want to make my titles scroll faster but keep them on the screen longer. The only way I've seen to make them scroll faster is to reduce the amount of frames they cover- but then they disappear off the screen before I want them to. Isn't there a way to make them scroll up to a certain point more quickly and then stay there until I choose?

B. I would like to make successive bullet points that follow each other as points are made audibly (so the audio and title would be synced). I can't see a way to even create bullets and I don't see a way to animate one title at a time (or one text phrase at a time) followed by another a second or so later but still keeping the others on screen.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jerry.K,

What the Premiere titler lacks in elegance and versatility, compared to Photoshop, some would say it makes up for in clunkiness.

While I do tend to go to PS, when the Titles get tough, I do like Titler, and for simple operations, use it extensively. I got a kick out of your statement though.

I do wish that Titler would add a few more items, and operations, but then, that's why I have PS.

Thanks for the laugh, and the tutorial, and the four Bullet Point Titles are essentially what I was advocating by using Layers in PS.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If the OP goes with the multiple Titles for the Bullet Points, they might want to think about doing an alignment grid, to get the Leading consistant, between each Bullet Point. This ARTICLE could be useful for that. [Grids, and Guides, are some things that I feel that Titler could benefit from, and I've filed those as Feature Requests for many versions now). In PS, one has both Guides and Grids, so alignment is much easier, rather than by eye. Also, when stopping a Rolling Title, a Grid would be very useful, to make sure that each ends at the exact spot, and with the exact Leading, required.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Above, I had mentioned using some animation, besides Rolling Titles for Bullet Points. THIS is what I was referring to. This animated Title was done with Opacity.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Help a beginner with Rolling Titles
                        ilikewinter Level 1

Thank you all... I will need some time to review the answers, but please know I appreciate your help!