8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 1:51 PM by Jeff Bellune

Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel

DVSInc

I have been using these client supplied QT with alpha channel files just fine for weeks, then all of a sudden, after a crash the other day, I was unable to open sequences with these files and exoprt them, the exporter would just freeze.  the clips played in the timeline, but VERY sluggish.

On the reccomendation of a few posts around here, I removed the clips from the project, and now I cannot import them back in, I get a "the importer reported a generic error" message.  I am able to open in QT pro and export to a new file that will import to PPro, but I lose the alpha channel.

As always, I'm up against a deadline and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have installed QT 7.07, no help.

I'm on a windows 7 machine running CS master collection 5.0, Quad core AMD with 8 gig RAM.

These files worked fine just days ago!!!!

BTW, I just switched over to Premiere a few months ago and to honest I can't understand how anyone would stick with this buggy software, as a professional I've never used anything this bad before.

• 1. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Welcome to the forum.

Try these.  Attempt to re-import after each one:

1. Clean the media cache database via Edit | Preferences | Media
          2. If step 2 doesn't work, then find all the .qtindex, .mpgindex, .cfa and .pek files associated with the media that's supposed to be in your project and delete them.  Then clean the media cache database again.
          3. Launch Pr and while it's launching, hold down the Alt + Shift keys until the Welcome screen appears.  Alt resets your preferences and Shift resets the plug-in cache.

To address the other issues you say you've been having with Pr, you should start a different thread (or threads).  Coming from other editors, there may be a difference in the way Pr does things that produce unexpected results that may be seen as bugs.  More serious issues, such as crashes, can often be caused by 3rd-party hardware like AJA, Matrox or BlackMagic and the associated drivers.  Outdated or incorrect drivers for audio and video cards can also cause problems.  I recommend that you start troubleshooting those areas first.

Other issues may have workarounds.  If you have serious, reproducible problems that have no workaround, then please file bug reports here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel
            Andrey V Level 2

Update your CS5.0 to CS5.0.2

When you just install the new QT it does not update the PPro plug-in, so you will have new QT and not working PPro QT importer.

In your case you need to do a clean install of QT, remove the old one, clean registry and install new QT. That should fix the problem

• 3. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel

A caveat about the QT importer: Pr has a custom, 64-bit QT importer that can handle some, but not all QT codecs.  For example, H.264 is handled by Premiere Pro's custom QT importer.

It's possible that your MOV files have one of these codecs, and the cache files and links are corrupted because of the crash.  In that case, you won't need QT installed at all.

If your files need the 32-bit QT importer provided by Apple, then corruption *and* mis-matched QT versions may be at fault.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel
                jtfaulks Level 1

I'm using 5.03 now. Time to fire the boys up and write a 64 bit importer that DOES handle all CODECS.

• 5. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel
                  jtfaulks Level 1

I'm using 5.03 now.  And I long for the days when you didn't have to be an IT professional to edit video!

• 6. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel
                    Stephen_Spider Level 3

OH man.... things are so much easier than they used to be.  Have you used proprietary hardware and codecs much? They were mandatory for RT performance until not too long ago. 12 to 18 hour mpeg2 exports. No thanks.

Were you talking about tape? You don't want to go back there either. Imagine the individual components, cost, and wiring involved in setting up an analog edit suite with near the same capabilility CS5 has.

All the various broadcast formats and dubbing.... ugh.

I think it is a lot easier for someone without a specialized degree or background to make decent videos now.

• 7. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel
                      jtfaulks Level 1

so should I uninstall QT altogether?

• 8. Re: Can no longer import QT files with alpha channel

so should I uninstall QT altogether?

Make sure your Pr cache is cleaned and the cache files for the media are deleted first.  I would try the uninstall and then see how Pr imports the files, or even *if* Pr imports the files.  You can always re-install Quicktime if necessary.

-Jeff